Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 09:05 AM

765 posts, read 898,859 times

Advertisements

What are some of the highlights, districts, urban nodes of cities that are consistently disliked or.. not looked as highly upon on cd?

They might not be as renowned as some other cities for urban activity and stimulation, but I'm sure there are some qualities that are overlooked.

Houston
Dallas
Charlotte
Jacksonville
Phoenix
Sacramento (might get some flack, more a curiosity of mine since I've never spent time there)
Indianapolis
Cleveland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 10:55 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
I've never been to Cleveland but it doesn't seem to fit with the other cities on this list. It has a large urban fabric that most people here are aware of.

As far as the topic of the thread, Houston is always bashed about it's downtown but it's deserved. Same with it's Uptown. I can't think of anything that's over looked about either neighborhoods.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:09 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
My thoughts:

Houston - Haven't been here often...visited twice in the past decade and only spent a small amount of time in the urban core neighborhoods. It seems to have experienced some decent revitalization and the light rail, though not amazing, has seen steady improvement over the years and is a worthwhile legacy from the Super Bowl there.

Dallas - I realize that we all form impressions based on a limited perspective, and for me it so happens that I find Dallas to be quite strong from an urban perspective. I have been twice in the past 5 years and explored quite a bit via light rail. I'm sure it helps that my cousin-in-law who was my host and tour guide both times was a young urban professional who took me around to about a dozen different historic/walkable/gentrifying areas, including the one where we stayed. I also got to participate in some awesome startup events to catch a glimpse of the growing startup community and tour several accelerators and coworking offices.

Charlotte - I personally don't have much experience here (one visit mostly in the suburbs) but I don't think it has an overall negative urban reputation. Much of the flack it takes is for a lack of history, character and grit. But from a transit and urban standpoint, it does pretty well.

Jacksonville - Jax has a half dozen decent walkable areas, mostly in the urban core and beaches. But its negative reputation is deserved as its downtown is lacking and 90% of the region as a whole is very suburban sprawly. But yes, for the majority of folks who are passing through, the nice "urbanish" areas are usually overlooked.

Phoenix - Don't know much, have never visited since I was old enough to really explore.

Sacramento - I liked Sacramento. I liked it a lot on paper and I liked it a lot when I visited. Downtown and surrounding areas (I think Midtown and Old Sac but can't remember for sure) offer decent walkability, decent vibrancy and charm. Ultimately if it came down to it I'd rather stretch my budget and live in a less nice area of the Bay Area than out in Sac, but it's not a bad option.

Indianapolis - Indy has an excellent downtown. Somewhat lacking in character but definitely vibrant and walkable. I have gotten to know Indy very well recently as a real estate investor, and as such I probably see a lot of "potential" and "hidden gems" in the urban neighborhoods near downtown. This may happen to a degree with Jax. Anyway, overall I think Indy has improved substantially and will continue to improve a lot, but the fact that they have no plans for rail and are really going all in on BRT-lite is a slight concern to me for the future. But the bones are there for lots of great walkable neighborhoods.

Cleveland - Only been once in the last decade. Definitely got a favorable impression but my knowledge is limited. Based on research I think it has excellent urban fabric and the only thing holding it back is its economic and population struggles. Once things get turned around it won't take long for more of the urban nodes to transform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.