U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:25 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,001,460 times

Advertisements

I don't think Greenville's winter weather is similar to Denton's winter weather. It near the Blue Ridge mountains, 966 feet above sea level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 12:29 PM

Ok, I did not post on here to compare the climates of Dallas vs Greenville. I was only suggesting Greenville for consideration. It is obviously not going to be as cold and snowy as places up north.

Greenville has more snow and winter precipitation than Dallas. I note that you didn't point that out during your verification.

The OP said he's not looking for a ton of snow. Here is the first part of his last post: 'I don't necessarily want more snow; I just like a nice snow storm during the winter.'

Greenville does in fact have 4 seasons.

If there isn't snow in the Greenville metro, a resident can ride over to the nearby Blue Ridge mountains and probably find some most days in the winter.

Greenville has 4-6 more days below 32 degrees F during each winter month than Dallas. https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66%3BFORID%3A9

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-06-2017 at 01:05 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 12:35 PM

6,450 posts, read 3,456,304 times
Since I live here - Boston, MA. (well, 20 miles south).

Within 1.5 hours are many skiing areas in NH, VT, MA, skating, and many winter activities. We get our share of snow, and on occasion have had a lot. Of course plenty of beaches. Fall foliage is beautiful, as is the spring bloom. Summers can be hot, and winters cold. And someone alluded to sports - don't need to say much about the pro teams here as they've had quite a successful run recently. Boston itself is steeped in history. You can go from city to rural in 1/2 hour. Shopping, restaurants, etc. Cape Cod, Maine shoreline, quaint New England towns all close by.

In short, plenty to do all four seasons.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:39 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok, I did not post on here to compare the climates of Dallas vs Greenville. I was only suggesting Greenville for consideration. It is obviously not going to be as cold and snowy as places up north.

Greenville has more snow and winter precipitation than Dallas. I note that you didn't point that out during your verification.

The OP said he's not looking for a ton of snow. Here is the first part of his last post: 'I don't necessarily want more snow; I just like a nice snow storm during the winter.'

Greenville does in fact have 4 seasons.

If there isn't snow in the Greenville metro, a resident can ride over to the nearby Blue Ridge mountains and probably find some most days in the winter.

Greenville has 4-6 more days below 32 degrees F during each winter month than Dallas. https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66%3BFORID%3A9

OP asked for at least a month of snow. Also I am in Denton, not Dallas. Weather is similar but we're slightly colder. Average low in January is only 33. Snowfall varies year to year but never lasts a month. A week at most.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanSalmon View Post
There is no need to think, when you can verify.

Greenville, SC - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenv...South_Carolina
Denton, TX - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denton,_Texas

Basically Greenville is 2 degrees colder in January.

Their climates are very similar.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
OP asked for at least a month of snow. Also I am in Denton, not Dallas. Weather is similar but we're slightly colder. Average low in January is only 33. Snowfall varies year to year but never lasts a month. A week at most.
I just quoted what he said in his last post. He said 'a snowstorm'.

Let me post it again: 'I don't necessarily want more snow; I just like a nice snow storm during the winter.'

Greenville usually has at least 2 or 3 snowfalls each winter. I suspect it has a lot more ice during the winter as well than Denton.

As I posted in previous post, Greenville has more days below 32 deg F. Greenville has 4-6 more days below 32 deg F each winter month. It also gets more snow and more overall winter precipitation.

Greenville is colder. https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66%3BFORID%3A9

I'm simply suggesting Greenville for his consideration. He can look at the climate data and decide for himself if it works for him. Greenville is near the Blue Ridge mountains so if a person wants to see snow in the winter, he can easily ride into the mountains and find some.

Denton isn't far from Dallas. Greenville in general is nothing like Texas.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-06-2017 at 02:53 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I just quoted what he said in his last post. He said 'a snowstorm'.

Let me post it again: 'I don't necessarily want more snow; I just like a nice snow storm during the winter.'

Greenville usually has at least 2 or 3 snowfalls each winter. I suspect it has a lot more ice during the winter as well than Denton.

As I posted in previous post, Greenville has more days below 32 deg F. Greenville has 4-6 more days below 32 deg F each winter month. It also gets more snow and more overall winter precipitation.

Greenville is colder. https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66%3BFORID%3A9

I'm simply suggesting Greenville for his consideration. He can look at the climate data and decide for himself if it works for him. Greenville is near the Blue Ridge mountains so if a person wants to see snow in the winter, he can easily ride into the mountains and find some.

Denton isn't far from Dallas.
DFW averages about the same amount of snow in the winter. The past few winters have been busts but before that..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPqwNIMJqSw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p4uxbnmDvo

Neither places are snowy. They have some snow each year usually but that's it. I get it, you live in Greenville and like it, cool. But it doesn't fit into the classifications. Even within the South I'd pick places in Tennessee and North Carolina before anywhere in South Carolina.

He said he wants snowstorms but he also said at least a month of snow. Nowhere in the South does snow last for a month, except maybe Kentucky and Virginia. Also way up in the mountains, but that's it. Average winter temps in Greenville aren't cold enough to sustain snow for long.

Both cities have average highs in the 50s and average lows in the 30s in winter. Stop acting like they're so much different! If you can claim Greenville then I can claim Denton lol but I wouldn't. It's winters are too brown and balmy.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:04 PM

You keep ignoring his 2nd post. I've quoted from it twice now. 'A snowstorm'.

Here is another website comparing the two.

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Snowfall (in.) Denton 0.512977 Greenville 2.70855

Precipitation Days Denton 52.3636 Greenville 76.5429

Oh yeah, those two climates are 'exactly' alike. There is no way a city in Texas has a climate 'exactly' like a city at the base of the Blue Ridge mountains and 1.5 hours south of Asheville NC. As I've pointed out previously, Greenville gets a good bit of ice in the winter too. I believe it much more wintery in Greenville than Denton Texas.

You act like I'm trying to trick the OP into moving here. He is capable of looking at the climate data himself. I simply made a suggestion of Greenville for consideration. I don't agree with your assertion that the winter here is like 3 months of November. It is a 4 season climate. It is obviously less cold and snow here than places up north.

Why don't you make your own suggestions rather than seek to debate other people's suggestion.

I prefer warmer winters and less snow as possible so your premise that I'm being misleading and making out Greenville as colder and more snowy than it is because I like Greenville could not be more off base.

Last edited by Yac; 07-28-2017 at 06:41 AM..

Old 07-06-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah, those two climates are 'exactly' alike. There is no way a city in Texas has a climate 'exactly' like a city at the base of the Blue Ridge mountains and 1.5 hours south of Asheville NC. As I've pointed out previously, Greenville gets a good bit of ice in the winter too. I believe it much more wintery in Greenville than Denton Texas.

You act like I'm trying to trick the OP into moving here. He is capable of looking at the climate data himself. I simply made a suggestion of Greenville for consideration. I don't agree with your assertion that the winter here is like 3 months of November. It is a 4 season climate. It is obviously less cold and snow here than places up north.

Why don't you make your own suggestions rather than seek to debate other people's suggestion.

Oh brother.

The reason it snows more in Greenville is cuz its in the east. Denton is more centralised in a part of the country that gets less precipitation. Neither climate is that cold in the winter. The main differences is we get our cold fronts from the Midwest, and they tend to bring less precipitation, and y'all get them from the Northeast. Otherwise, both places are generally snowless with leaves on the ground and bare trees and a couple of pines and other evergreens. Ergo; looks like November up north does, for 3 months.

If you wanna suggest Greenville go ahead. I mean, its a better suggestion than Houston, Savannah and definitely Miami lol but..

By the way, it gets pretty cold here. We had two main cold blasts with lows in the teens and highs below freezing. One in December which was snowless but icy and one in January with some snow on the ground. We get about the same amount of frosty mornings as you guys do.

Last edited by Yac; 07-28-2017 at 06:41 AM..

Old 07-06-2017, 03:17 PM

7,385 posts, read 13,232,204 times
Quote:

OP was answering a poster's question. There is a difference between living in a Snow Belt city (high annual snow dumps) and living in a city with a "legitimate winter". The south doesn't really has that "legitimate winter" that people think of, even in the mountains, it's pretty mild in comparison. I live in TN, high up on a plateau the last 5ish years, we really never had snow for more than 3 days. It melts pretty quickly. Thankfully so because the cities down here aren't really equipped to deal with winter conditions like that. I mean, people in my area actually get real nervous at flurries.

Last edited by Yac; 07-28-2017 at 06:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or