U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 06:38 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,871,864 times

Advertisements

I am biased. The Twin Cities have 4 distinct seasons, all 3 months long (yes winter really is only three months long in terms of Minnesota weather, Dec-Feb).
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 06:45 AM

3,720 posts, read 3,574,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheForest View Post
Philadelphia has the perfect geographic location and probably climate as well since all four seasons are mild.

Boston winter's are way too much in comparison. Sorry.

Spring, summer and fall are great in both cities though. Both metros really.
Philadelphia's winters are quite short and summers quite long. It's rare for Philadelphia to have a consistent snow for a month.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:33 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,986,679 times
DC fits the bill.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:19 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,318,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
This is all subjective. You are expressing your opinion and stating it is a fact. I think for a majority of people, the north is the worst version of a 4 season climate. That's is one reason why so many people are moving to the south.

Summers are more mild up north especially around the Great Lakes compared to the south.

You admit that you are a snow lover so obviously you have a bias when it comes to what is the best representation of the 4 seasons.

You keep asserting that I'm not being objective. All I said is Greenville gets some snow and it has 4 seasons. I specifically stated it gets 2 or 3 snowstorms a winter on average. All of this is true. You cannot point to one false statement that I've made but you keep asserting that I'm being misleading and not objective.

I never at any point asserted that winters in Greenville are as snowy and cold as any place up north. You are responding to a point that I never made.

I"ve also pointed out Greenville is near the Blue Ridge mountains where it snows more than Greenville. You've consistently ignored this point.

All of your suggestions were extreme choices for the US as far as cold and snow goes except maybe Omaha. I did not interpret the OP's preference as being cities that are super cold and snowy. I would think those cites you suggested have a lot more than 1 month of snow on the ground.

Greenville gets more snow and precipitation than Denton Texas. It also has more days below 32 degree F each winter month. 4-6 more days each month.

I get that you think Greenville winters are too mild. Other people think they are cold enough and are fine with the amount of snow it gets. I simply made a suggestion of Greenville for consideration. My suggestion wasn't aimed at a person like you who thinks Minnesota is an ideal place to live.
People aren't moving out of the North because its representation of 4 full seasons isn't ideal....they're moving out because they don't WANT 4 seasons (i.e. winter)! Winter, spring, summer and fall are all subjective to people based on their experiences -- yes -- but in terms of having 4 distinct seasons, the North definitely has more distinction than the South. For people who truly love 4 distinct seasons, I subjectively believe that the North has more distinction than the South in this regard, and can also objectively back it up by showing you average temperature charts for each season for each region (or you can look out your window in winter and objectively see snow and ice everywhere). You can literally do everything in the North outdoors in each season.

There's got to be ONE silver lining to having snow and ice during part of the year -- at least give (some of) us that much!

I'm pretty sure I've outlined something like this before, but here is what I'd consider "ideal" if you're a lover of 4 true distinct seasons:

Winter (Dec-Feb): avg hi: upper 20's - low 30's (with consistent presence of snow and ice)
Spring (Mar-May): avg hi: 50's - 60's
Summer (Jun-Aug): avg hi: 80's - 90's
Fall (Sep-Nov): avg hi: 50's - 60's

I think the big cities that come closest to this are Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Boston, Milwaukee, Buffalo and Minneapolis (though I could see arguments for Denver, NYC, Philly, etc, but most are too mild during winter for winter lovers). This part is entirely subjective to my opinion.

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 07-07-2017 at 08:30 AM..

Old 07-07-2017, 08:46 AM

7,385 posts, read 13,236,603 times
My husband and I are looking to move out of TN because we like a "proper" winter. We definitely want the 4 seasons.

The most southerly cities on our list is St. Louis and Cincinnati. I can't remember how long a snow pack lasts in StL. Have no idea about Cincinnati because I've never been in winter there. Would this cities fit as per the OP's list?

Old 07-07-2017, 09:49 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,006,044 times
Summers up north especially Great Lake area are much more mild than the southeast.

Here is a comparison of Milwaukee and Greenville:

https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66%3BFORID%3A9

Milwaukee doesn't appear to much of what I would call a summer. The average high in July is 80 in Milwaukee vs 90 in Greenville. It has been an abnormally cool summer in Greenville this year, rarely getting over 90 and it hasn't felt like summer to me.

Greenville averages 40 days for the year with temperatures 90 or above. Milwaukee only averages 9.

Milwaukee also appears to be windier than Greenville and I'm assuming that it feels cooler up there than the temperature data indicates.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-07-2017 at 10:03 AM..

Old 07-08-2017, 07:13 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
This is all subjective. You are expressing your opinion and stating it is a fact. I think for a majority of people, the north is the worst version of a 4 season climate. That's is one reason why so many people are moving to the south.

Summers are more mild up north especially around the Great Lakes compared to the south.

You admit that you are a snow lover so obviously you have a bias when it comes to what is the best representation of the 4 seasons.

You keep asserting that I'm not being objective. All I said is Greenville gets some snow and it has 4 seasons. I specifically stated it gets 2 or 3 snowstorms a winter on average. All of this is true. You cannot point to one false statement that I've made but you keep asserting that I'm being misleading and not objective.

I never at any point asserted that winters in Greenville are as snowy and cold as any place up north. You are responding to a point that I never made.

I"ve also pointed out Greenville is near the Blue Ridge mountains where it snows more than Greenville. You've consistently ignored this point.

All of your suggestions were extreme choices for the US as far as cold and snow goes except maybe Omaha. I did not interpret the OP's preference as being cities that are super cold and snowy. I would think those cites you suggested have a lot more than 1 month of snow on the ground.

Greenville gets more snow and precipitation than Denton Texas. It also has more days below 32 degree F each winter month. 4-6 more days each month.

I get that you think Greenville winters are too mild. Other people think they are cold enough and are fine with the amount of snow it gets. I simply made a suggestion of Greenville for consideration. My suggestion wasn't aimed at a person like you who thinks Minnesota is an ideal place to live.

Most northerners moving to the south for weather reasons don't WANT seasons lol. That's why they go down there. Meanwhile, lots of people who move from the south to the north for weather reasons cite that they WANT seasons! Just like there's people who move to the south to get away from the snow and even seasons in general there's people who do the opposite and move to the north because they're tired of the hot weather and want more seasons.

What do you consider a snowstorm? I doubt a town with an average January low of 32 has that many snowstorms. Just cuz its snowing a few inches doesn't mean its a snowstorm.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:23 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
People aren't moving out of the North because its representation of 4 full seasons isn't ideal....they're moving out because they don't WANT 4 seasons (i.e. winter)! Winter, spring, summer and fall are all subjective to people based on their experiences -- yes -- but in terms of having 4 distinct seasons, the North definitely has more distinction than the South. For people who truly love 4 distinct seasons, I subjectively believe that the North has more distinction than the South in this regard, and can also objectively back it up by showing you average temperature charts for each season for each region (or you can look out your window in winter and objectively see snow and ice everywhere). You can literally do everything in the North outdoors in each season.

There's got to be ONE silver lining to having snow and ice during part of the year -- at least give (some of) us that much!

I'm pretty sure I've outlined something like this before, but here is what I'd consider "ideal" if you're a lover of 4 true distinct seasons:

Winter (Dec-Feb): avg hi: upper 20's - low 30's (with consistent presence of snow and ice)
Spring (Mar-May): avg hi: 50's - 60's
Summer (Jun-Aug): avg hi: 80's - 90's
Fall (Sep-Nov): avg hi: 50's - 60's

I think the big cities that come closest to this are Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Boston, Milwaukee, Buffalo and Minneapolis (though I could see arguments for Denver, NYC, Philly, etc, but most are too mild during winter for winter lovers). This part is entirely subjective to my opinion.

Perfectly stated! I feel Greenville is a nice city for those who want 4 seasons but don't really like winter much. For those who want at least a month of snow, they'd be disappointed. He's trying to push it as a city with "real winters" while bragging on how little snow it gets, but apparently it gets snowstorms a lot.. wut? Which is it? lol. I do admit Greenville as well much of Texas has 4 seasons but I wouldn't consider it as ideal to someone who wants a true 4 season experience. While it does snow in much of the south at least once a year, it also reaches the 70s in January. That's a bootleg winter in my book.

Likewise I would totally say Seattle has true summers, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who wants hot enough summers to comfortably go swimming. There's some days in Greenville where its a winter wonderland, and some days in Seattle where its a suntan scorcher, but in both places, that's an exception not the standard.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:41 PM

I don't understand why it annoys you, a person who lives in Texas, that I suggested Greenville. My suggestion wasn't for you.

You accuse me of bragging about how little snow it gets. I never bragged about anything. You make one false assertion after another. You've acknowledge it is a 4 season climate yet you mock me for saying it has a winter. You are trying have it both ways.

I've never said it is as cold as up north but you continue to want to debate that strawman. Your view that a real winter is as cold and snowy as places like Chicago and Milwaukee is an opinion, not a fact.

I would never recommend super snowy and cold places like Syracuse and the other places that you mentioned unless a person specified that they wanted to live a super cold and snowy place. The majority of people are going to be miserable in areas like that. But I didn't feel the need to mock your suggestion.

I've pointed this out numerous times now that I responded to his 2nd post in which he said 'a snowstorm'. Again, that doesn't sound like Syracuse or any of your other suggestions.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:48 PM

It is odd that you feel the need to tell me what I can comment on. Why does it bother you if I respond to his comments? Why not make your own suggestions rather than commenting on my discussion with another person.

I note that you only say this after I respond to the other guy who wants to argue about it. He acts like i'm trying to trick the person into moving to Greenville as though I would benefit from it personally. He has asserted numerous times that I am not being objective but he can't specify one false statement that I've made about weather in Greenville.

He , and you, could have adopted that philosophy from the start. I wasn't the one looking for a debate on this.

I note that you asserted Denton and Greenville weather are similar in your 'factcheck' post, but left out more snow in Greenville and a lot more precipitation and several more days under 32 deg F in Greenville each winter month.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-08-2017 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or