U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:04 PM

7,585 posts, read 4,011,810 times

Advertisements

Greenville gets more snow and winter precipitation than Denton. I linked to the data. Denton is also nowhere near mountains, and Greenville is near the Blue Ridge mountains. I made a point about how a resident in Greenville can quickly access the mountains if they want to see more snow in the winter.

Last edited by JMT; 07-08-2017 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 08:22 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,392,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Summers up north especially Great Lake area are much more mild than the southeast.

Here is a comparison of Milwaukee and Greenville:

https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66%3BFORID%3A9

Milwaukee doesn't appear to much of what I would call a summer. The average high in July is 80 in Milwaukee vs 90 in Greenville. It has been an abnormally cool summer in Greenville this year, rarely getting over 90 and it hasn't felt like summer to me.

Greenville averages 40 days for the year with temperatures 90 or above. Milwaukee only averages 9.

Milwaukee also appears to be windier than Greenville and I'm assuming that it feels cooler up there than the temperature data indicates.
Lol okay. A high of 80 in July is more summery than a high of 52 in January is wintry. There's more people who will argue Greenville's winters aren't "winters" than that Milwaukee's summers aren't "summers." You're going off a weird tangent. You keep insinuating that I said Greenville doesn't have seasons or winters, I never did. Now you saying Milwaukee has no summers? Okay, boss.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:23 PM

7,585 posts, read 4,011,810 times
Ok, who are these people? I note that you like to speak for other people a lot on here and suggest your opinion is the majority opinion.

I think a majority of people would say a summer with high of 80 is a mild summer.

I have never described Greenville winters as super cold and snowy. I said it is a 4 season climate and it gets some snow. And again, I posted this after I read the OP's 2nd comment about 'a snowstorm'.

You specifically said people move down to SC because they want a 3 season climate, but then you claim you agree it has a 4 season climate. That does appear to be a contradiction. If you google Greenville and '4 season climate', you will get a lot of hits.

Last edited by JMT; 07-08-2017 at 09:13 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 08:39 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,974,918 times
Probably Denver.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:53 PM

410 posts, read 246,759 times
If you're ok with smaller cities and large snowfalls, Minneapolis/St Paul or Grand Rapids, MI are lovely.

Slightly milder, maybe Cincinnati?

but have you considered Greenville, SC or Denton TX? I hear there's a thread about that.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:02 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,321,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
If you're ok with smaller cities and large snowfalls, Minneapolis/St Paul or Grand Rapids, MI are lovely.

Slightly milder, maybe Cincinnati?

but have you considered Greenville, SC or Denton TX? I hear there's a thread about that.
Do you consider Seattle a small city?

Old 07-09-2017, 09:11 AM

21,964 posts, read 22,131,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
What's the best city to live in if you want to experience 4 full seasons, including winter? For this thread, winter will be defined as having some snow on the ground for at least a month.
Salt Lake City would definitely be a contender, although our winters are longer than I personally like. Of course, for winter recreation lovers, this is a huge plus. Summers are hot (90 degree highs, with a few days over 100) but with very low humidity, making the heat much more tolerable than they'd be elsewhere. I'd say they generally last from about June through August. Springs are on the short side, but they do exist and are very nice. Autumns are absolutely gorgeous.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,321,280 times
Agree with SLC.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:33 AM

157 posts, read 99,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
There are probably many places with all four seasons, but maybe a better question is a place with a "balance" of those seasons. Where I live now, there are definitely four seasons, but winter and summer dominate. There's barely any spring and fall. It'd be nice to have a balance of the seasons, if that's possible (maybe not).
I feel like one of the disadvantages of the Midwest is that the fall season is too short. Perhaps something in the Mid-Atlantic might have a better balance of the four seasons?

Old 07-10-2017, 02:30 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,392,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok, who are these people? I note that you like to speak for other people a lot on here and suggest your opinion is the majority opinion.

I think a majority of people would say a summer with high of 80 is a mild summer.

I have never described Greenville winters as super cold and snowy. I said it is a 4 season climate and it gets some snow. And again, I posted this after I read the OP's 2nd comment about 'a snowstorm'.

You specifically said people move down to SC because they want a 3 season climate, but then you claim you agree it has a 4 season climate. That does appear to be a contradiction. If you google Greenville and '4 season climate', you will get a lot of hits.

Yea a summer with average highs is a mild summer, but its still a summer. I don't see it as any less mild than a winter with an average low of 32.

I said there's people who move to Greenville to get 4 seasons but with barely any winter. I never said it only has 3 seasons, though maybe someone from way up north would consider its winter to be an extended fall, because Gville's winter weather is like the Northeast's November weather.

My point, those who actually want snow in the winter especially for 30 days minimum, would not choose Greenville. Just like they wouldn't choose Denton. And you keep mentioning mountains. Okay, but its not like the Great Plains don't get cold ass weather coming from Canada as well. You don't have to have mountains to have snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or