U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:20 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,235,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
San Antonio, Tx.
I'm going to have to disagree when you take into account all of these other historical cities across the country. San Antonio is probably the most well preserved historic city in Texas though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 04:00 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,052,638 times
Of those I have been to, Savannah is the one that stands out. The Historic District and Victorian District combined must be half the city.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:00 PM

23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
I can think of some smaller towns in the South that have been beautifully preserved:

Madison, GA
Eufaula, AL
Oxford, MS
Apalachicola, FL
Natchez, MS
Franklin, TN
Aiken, SC
Key West, FL
Fredericksburg, TX

Old 07-10-2017, 04:12 PM

6,849 posts, read 7,795,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Society Hill is a cool spot, but isn't it ONE of the highest concentration, not THE? I would imagine Charleston would have more.
I've been to Charleston twice. It's a lovely city. I suspect Philly has more intact historical area, however. I'm not sure if you've been to Philly but Society Hill and Old City alone comprise a pretty large footprint. And historic preservation extends outside east Center City to neighborhoods such as Rittenhouse Square, Fairmount, Queen Village, Germantown, Manayunk, and Chestnut Hill. There aren't many US cities that can go toe-to-toe with Philadelphia when it comes to history and historic preservation.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 07-10-2017 at 04:42 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 04:17 PM

5,616 posts, read 3,934,565 times
Santa Fe, NM and Galena, IL are very well preserved.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:23 AM

15,371 posts, read 19,129,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I've been to Charleston twice. It's a lovely city. I suspect Philly has more intact historical area, however. I'm not sure if you've been to Philly but Society Hill and Old City alone comprise a pretty large footprint. And historic preservation extends outside east Center City to neighborhoods such as Rittenhouse Square, Fairmount, Queen Village, Germantown, Manayunk, and Chestnut Hill. There aren't many US cities that can go toe-to-toe with Philadelphia when it comes to history and historic preservation.
Boston?

Been to Philly several times but small doses of historic areas. Will certainly make a weekend trip out of it.

Charleston is impressively preserved and I believe has the largest contiguous historic district in the US at 500+ acres. The south of Broad St area is nearly 100% preserved 18th and 19th century buildings.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:19 AM

6,849 posts, read 7,795,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Boston?

Been to Philly several times but small doses of historic areas. Will certainly make a weekend trip out of it.

Charleston is impressively preserved and I believe has the largest contiguous historic district in the US at 500+ acres. The south of Broad St area is nearly 100% preserved 18th and 19th century buildings.
Boston is the one city that possibly comes to mind. But Philadelphia is home to 67 National Historic Landmarks: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...n_Philadelphia. This compares with 57 such sites in Boston and 76 in the entire state of SC (34 or so in Charleston).

People would be mistaken if they think all of Philadelphia's historic preservation lies in history-dense Center City. Take a look at the charming Germantown neighborhood, about 6 miles northwest of Center City: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colo...toric_District.

There is a reason why Philadelphia has been named the first and only UNESCO World Heritage City in the US.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:30 AM

44,654 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Why isn't Williamsburg VA on your list?
Right, and Yorktown VA too.

I'd add New Orleans and Savannah to the list also. Oh, and portions of Philly and Baltimore too.

Oh and the historic district of Columbus, GA is beautiful.

Another smaller town like Yorktown VA is Concord, MA. And what about Portland, Maine? There are some beautifully maintained historic districts and sites there.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:31 AM

44,654 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I'm going to have to disagree when you take into account all of these other historical cities across the country. San Antonio is probably the most well preserved historic city in Texas though.
The Stockyards area of Fort Worth is cool too.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:10 PM

781 posts, read 1,093,842 times
Richmond, Alexandria, Portsmouth VA, and maybe Harper's Ferry WV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.