Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 04:04 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol at the same applies for Philadelphia in a huge way.
Of course but the implication was that that applies to Philly but not the other cities that were mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 09:54 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,187,767 times
Consider the following:

"U.S. News & World Report recently named Philadelphia the second best place to visit in the U.S. in 2017, and our city has gained similar rankings in recent years such as Lonely Planet’s No. 1 city to visit in 2016 and The New York Times’ No. 3 place to visit in the world in 2015." PHL: A global destination | Metro US

Also: "America’s birthplace has been named the country’s first World Heritage City, putting it on par with Jerusalem, Cairo, Paris and other places recognized for their impacts on the course of human events. Philadelphia becomes first World Heritage City in US - Washington Times

Quite a list of accolades for Filthadelphia!

My fellow transplants and I have discussed the phenomenon of meeting locals who are surprised we have elected to move here. Most times these are people who come from familes into their second or third generation here. When you grow up in a place, you tend to take its attributes as a norm. To compound the dynamic, the one city many long term Philadelphians compare themselves to is the behemoth 90 minutes up the road. Quite a high bar to meet.

My fellow transplants moved here because this is one of the most urban, accesable cities in the country - one of just a half dozen or so where you can live comfortably without a car. Center City's population is growing by leaps and bounds. Wonder why that might be.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:26 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,202,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Consider the following:

"U.S. News & World Report recently named Philadelphia the second best place to visit in the U.S. in 2017, and our city has gained similar rankings in recent years such as Lonely Planet’s No. 1 city to visit in 2016 and The New York Times’ No. 3 place to visit in the world in 2015." PHL: A global destination | Metro US

Also: "America’s birthplace has been named the country’s first World Heritage City, putting it on par with Jerusalem, Cairo, Paris and other places recognized for their impacts on the course of human events. Philadelphia becomes first World Heritage City in US - Washington Times

Quite a list of accolades for Filthadelphia!

My fellow transplants and I have discussed the phenomenon of meeting locals who are surprised we have elected to move here. Most times these are people who come from familes into their second or third generation here. When you grow up in a place, you tend to take its attributes as a norm. To compound the dynamic, the one city many long term Philadelphians compare themselves to is the behemoth 90 minutes up the road. Quite a high bar to meet.

My fellow transplants moved here because this is one of the most urban, accesable cities in the country - one of just a half dozen or so where you can live comfortably without a car. Center City's population is growing by leaps and bounds. Wonder why that might be.
Transplants to a new city who are professionals and part of that city's gentrification? Generally, like and become boosters of that city. Most forums have transplants boast on a city more then lifetime locals.

Filthadelphia is not a term I felt was common outside of the region (through PA especially) to advertise it in a thread NOT on Philly perceptions or misconceptions? I'd avoid. I won't go into why this term is used or if still has reasons behind it.

It is great Philly is renewing Core outward as is common in our cities. It was great Philly sought this title of "A Heritage city" Boston is another city worthy but did not seek it.

As in preservation of great Colonial era Philly? It is noteworthy of course. A neighborhood like Society Hill was a earliest Gentrification example in the city. In general though ..... Philly gentrified a bit later then some other cities like a Boston .... by a decade or more. But it came finally to save Great oldest housing stock in the US in Philly's Center City and next door neighborhoods.

One thing that helped, is unlike some cities..... Philly did less destruction of a core neighborhood in the name of Urban Renewal. That saved more to gentrify last couple decades. Also overall..... Philly had far less removal of Urban Blight as a citywide effort. That too left more to gentrify. But the process sometimes has blight remain till gentrification is pretty much completed in that neighborhood.

Visitors still seeing levels of blight sometimes have perceptions tarnished. I won't go into how lifetime residents can be negative in the city. But ALL SHOULD BE PROUD OF ITS CORE'S COMEBACK. Core-Centric cities still are rated by their cores. But surrounding areas also can hurt perceptions if blight is seen.

On Philly being one of our best preserved historic cities? Should definitely be up there. I'm surprised the thread wasn't a poll thread of a list of cities to choose. I believe Philly could have won? Especially given the Philly posters in these forums. They are a big force in defending the city today on C-D .... especially professional transplants affording these historic areas to live in.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:22 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,705,996 times
Mackinaw island Michigan. This island has a 19th century town, a massive historical hotel and automobiles are forbidden. There is also a centuries old British fort. It is accessible by boat and it's biggest downfall is how touristy it is. That being said it looks pretty authentic even though it's not as old as the east coast locales.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:40 AM

21,495 posts, read 27,731,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I have to disagree with you. A number of years back I worked for the Preservation Society of Newport County (R.I), and through the efforts of this organization, Operation Clapboard, and the Newport Restoration Foundation The Point section of Newport has the largest collection of Colonial Homes in the country.

Easy enough to verify this information by a Google search.
I love Newport. I wouldn't doubt it. The amount of Colonial homes there is staggering. I always find new streets to explore full of them.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:41 AM

21,495 posts, read 27,731,790 times
I wonder how Quebec City stacks up?

It's a bit of old Europe in North America. One of my favorite cities and most Americans have no idea how beautiful it is.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:47 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I wonder how Quebec City stacks up?

It's a bit of old Europe in North America. One of my favorite cities and most Americans have no idea how beautiful it is.
I hear it's the most European city on the continent.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:01 PM

61 posts, read 61,330 times
Two of my absolute favorites to visit for history. There is no way it's not Philadelphia or Boston. The rest is just squabbling. They're much larger cities than the smaller ones being mentioned. I'm not sure if people are truly aware of how much they have in comparison. Newport? Charleston? No no no. It's okay to be impressed with how much they have in a small area, but Philadelphia and Boston are top dog.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:51 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,187,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedOne View Post
Two of my absolute favorites to visit for history. There is no way it's not Philadelphia or Boston. The rest is just squabbling. They're much larger cities than the smaller ones being mentioned. I'm not sure if people are truly aware of how much they have in comparison. Newport? Charleston? No no no. It's okay to be impressed with how much they have in a small area, but Philadelphia and Boston are top dog.
Mike drop +1

Old 07-28-2017, 04:46 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,661,399 times
Philedelphia and Boston have colonial history wrapped up.... But a lot that can be deemed historic has happened since the American Revolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.