U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 03:34 AM

2 posts, read 802 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. This is my first post here, and I am already coming up with a question

I am a 21 year old from Europe. I have been living in the States for about 10 years now.

I had spent livin all these years in Chicago Northside and have been living on my own for the past 2 years. I have been doing some general construction work since I got outta highschool when I was 18.

I like Chicago but I feel like it's getting expensive to live here. It's a struggle for me to pay my rent and other expenses, but I don't worry about that this much, since I am not the only one with that problem

The things that make me wanna move out to another place and try out something different are that the weather is very unfair, the traffics are big, and the people (let my elaborate on that below in my post)

I don't really like the weather- the summers are humid and sweaty and the winters are veery cold and can be snowy. I would rather take a place with a climate that doesn't fall into extriemes. I'd prefer either cold winters+ chilly summer or warm winters+ hot summer.

Let my tell you what I meant when I said something about the poeple- I think Chicagoanians are good people and I like them, and I don't have anything bad to say about them. However, I kind of feel like the city lacks American working class.
I feel like the majority of the young people are either immigrants themself or middle class college boys, and it makes it kinda hard to assimilate as much as I would like to. I hope you guys can sense what I am sayin, because maybe I am delusional and wrong about it.

I am looking to move out to a city that is smaller than Chicago and has less traffic, and offers general labour/construction job oppportunities.
I am kinda looking for a city with a large American working class and a place that has this 'Americana' feel to it.
I also want the city to have a countryside right outside of it. I don't wanna see long streches of boring suburbs.

I doesn't matter which region the city is situated in. As long as the weather doesn't go into both extremes, I like it.

I was thinking about moving out to North Carolina, Northern Florida or Northern California ( since it's conservative from what I've heard.)
I don't know much about the cities that are in each of these states.

Colorado would be cool too.

Throw me some suggestions

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 06:09 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
You might take a look at coastal South Carolina which has warmer winters and hot summers, in general not too much of a temperature swing year-round. The Charleston area is booming in terms of construction, and has some smaller neighboring towns that also have the "Americana" feel as well as a substantial working class population. Check out towns like Summerville, Goose Creek and Mt Pleasant.

About - Summerville, SC *
Shop, Eat and Play in Historic Downtown Mt. Pleasant
https://www.cityofgoosecreek.com/about

Old 07-07-2017, 07:17 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times
Sure Northern Florida could be alright. It's got plenty of construction jobs and much cheaper rents than Chicago. Definitely conservative for a big city and lots of working class. You will absolutely have to drive though and there are long stretches of boring suburbs (although you can get to countryside very quickly too)

Old 07-07-2017, 07:25 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,768,953 times
Grand Rapids, MI:

Medium sized city, near the country, rather conservative for a city, decent sized American working class, low cost of living allows for a relatively comfortable "working class", very "American" feeling (as is much of the Midwest), cold winters, mild summers, much more down-to-Earth than Chicago but only a few hour drive if you want to get back to Chicago for some big city things and only about 2 hours from Detroit for similar amenities.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 802 times
Thanks for the suggestions !

I like the idea of S. Carolina. I love palm trees and Southern culture, and I guess South Carolina has got even more Southern influence over it than the Northern one!

I was thinking about Jacksonville since it's in the North of Florida and is close to the Ocean, and it's got an NFL team. I also like that it's a medium size city which could mean that there is a lot of job offers there.

I was also considering Tallahassee but it might be too small and have limited job offers.

I am not looking for a city that has a variety of cool venues and party places. I am a social person but don't really like going out that often. I love rock concerts though.

Grand Rapids, Michigan is a good suggestion. I looked the city up. I like that I would still be close to Chicago and could visit my friends anytime I want.

Anyone else wants to chime in and help out a little bit?

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2017, 03:03 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBeer View Post
I was thinking about Jacksonville since it's in the North of Florida and is close to the Ocean, and it's got an NFL team. I also like that it's a medium size city which could mean that there is a lot of job offers there.
I almost put out Jacksonville as my initial recommendation and given it's one of the few fastest growing cities in the country right now think from a work perspective could make a lot of sense for you. The city has the lowest cost of living in Florida and definitely provides a good climate match for you.

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/ffgh.../#abbbbc41e914

Old 07-09-2017, 07:37 PM

15,374 posts, read 19,133,645 times
Look up New Haven, CT. It's an affordable, small city in-between 2 big cities (NYC and Boston). Great parks nearby (East Rock and West Rock parks, Sleeping Giant, many others), countryside is right there. Towns nearby like Guilford, Madison, Essex, Chester, Haddam are stunning in both their history and natural beauty. Check out the hashtag #gscia on Instagram for a flavor of the city (It stands for greatest small city in America, lofty, but whatever).

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/gscia/

CT has its issues, but New Haven seems to keep growing as it's going through a renaissance. Crime is down and there's lots of new construction in the works.

Winter is a thing, but comparatively mild compared to where you're coming from.

I'd also look into Richmond, Nashville, and Charleston, personally. CA is great, but very expensive in any area you'd want to live IMO.

Last edited by Stylo; 07-09-2017 at 08:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or