U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 922 times

Advertisements

Hey all.
I've been thinking about what state I want to settle down in lately, but really can't come to any kind of decision. I've been traveling for the past 2 years, living in a van moving to a different state every couple months. But my ultimate goal is to buy a few acres of land somewhere and build a cabin. I just can't figure out where I want to live though. There are so many amazing places in the US. How do you just pick one little area and say, this is where I'm going to be? When you decided where to live what was the biggest factor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 12:54 PM

21,233 posts, read 30,469,580 times
Finding a job and the feasibility of being able to support yourself are typically the first considerations. What do you do for work?

Old 07-07-2017, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Finding a job and the feasibility of being able to support yourself are typically the first considerations. What do you do for work?
Ive been working at resorts and such in or near national parks. Whatever job i can get, it has been more about living in great places than making money. Im getting tired of working jobs i dont like for barely any pay though. So im gonna start actually going after good (for me) jobs. Like raft guiding or some other kind of tour guide, fighting wildfires, maybe something with the park service, just something that involves the outdoors and being active. I dont know what exactly i want to do. And theres always winter jobs in cali, i dont mind leaving a few months for well paid work.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:32 PM

9,541 posts, read 13,487,367 times
Bottom line for me: my family is here and I grew up here and there is an abundance of jobs in my field as well. I do happen to love it but even if I didn't, my family would be the biggest reason I live where I do.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:16 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,534,697 times
My career market & money, that's what makes my world go around. I have to have a decent paying job, to support not only myself but make sure my wife is taken care of as well.

After that, comes safety, affordability, and that sort of thing.

We are currently in the Bay Area. Great job market and great money, affordability, not so much. Which is why we will be moving next year to somewhere a little more affordable where my job market is stable

Old 07-07-2017, 07:42 PM

1,241 posts, read 610,158 times
Peace of mind. I can't be stuck behind a desk doing something I don't love. So being able to live safely doing my job.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:55 PM

1,241 posts, read 610,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
My career market & money, that's what makes my world go around. I have to have a decent paying job, to support not only myself but make sure my wife is taken care of as well.

After that, comes safety, affordability, and that sort of thing.

We are currently in the Bay Area. Great job market and great money, affordability, not so much. Which is why we will be moving next year to somewhere a little more affordable where my job market is stable
I have a question. What difference does it make how affordable a city is if you make good money? Won't your salary most likely take a hit if you move to a affordable city? How do things not even out somewhat? Don't mean this in any negative way at all.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:48 PM

3,531 posts, read 1,786,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I have a question. What difference does it make how affordable a city is if you make good money? Won't your salary most likely take a hit if you move to a affordable city? How do things not even out somewhat? Don't mean this in any negative way at all.
Because the value of the money is different concerning housing.
He can make 200k but if he's forced to buy a 1.5 million dollar house, that's an 8k mortgage and over 3 million after 30 years. If he had a job in Dallas earning 125k but can buy a home for 400k, his mortgage is 2k and about 850k after 30 years.
He's earning 6 million over 30 years but the house is 50% of his income vs 3.75m and 25% of his income. The money not tied up in housing can be invested to create a better retirement and the outcome should have the lower pay actually do more for you.
Obviously, my math is rough and doesn't give him raises, etc but you get the picture.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Luckily, I have been with my company a lengthy period of time, and am in a position where my salary will not take a hit no matter the area I live in. I will still be doing the same work, with the same customer base, just out of a different "home office" sort of speak. I just had to be in the Bay Area at first to take on this role I am currently in.

So come next year, I move to a more affordable housing market, and boom, more money left over

Old 07-07-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Because the value of the money is different concerning housing.
He can make 200k but if he's forced to buy a 1.5 million dollar house, that's an 8k mortgage and over 3 million after 30 years. If he had a job in Dallas earning 125k but can buy a home for 400k, his mortgage is 2k and about 850k after 30 years.
He's earning 6 million over 30 years but the house is 50% of his income vs 3.75m and 25% of his income. The money not tied up in housing can be invested to create a better retirement and the outcome should have the lower pay actually do more for you.
Obviously, my math is rough and doesn't give him raises, etc but you get the picture.
Pretty much this ^^^

Good looking out mate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or