U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 06:44 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,285,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
The difference is Houston's Bayou's are for flood drainage. Not any typical river. Houston's bayous flood virtually yearly. Just on YouTube are years of videos of flooding there. So its very limited for what you can build there. Jogging/bike paths, picnic areas , basketball courts etc. But you are not going to build a great permanent park with physical attractions. They provide some green-space at best.
All rivers flood in times of excessive rainfall, and all serve as drainage basins for their respective lands. The Buffalo Bayou is no different in that regard.

Quote:
You could NEVER do a San Antonio river-walk there as flooding is far too common.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXWC6cHVXtw
Wrong, here is development planned right on the front:

CityCentre Developer Midway Makes a Move on That 136-Acre Former KBR Site Along Buffalo Bayou in the Fifth Ward | Swamplot

Future development has calls to build right on the bayou to develop the city's east side:
http://planhouston.org/sites/default...aster_Plan.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 06:51 PM

3,235 posts, read 1,563,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
All rivers flood in times of excessive rainfall. The Buffalo Bayou is no different in that regard. Though, many rivers are controlled due to dam networks.

Wrong, here is development planned right on the front:

CityCentre Developer Midway Makes a Move on That 136-Acre Former KBR Site Along Buffalo Bayou in the Fifth Ward | Swamplot

Future development has calls to build right on the bayou to develop the city's east side:
http://planhouston.org/sites/default...aster_Plan.pdf
Then it can be like Dallas river plans though it is a floodplain. Too bad Houston planners the city did not set aside parkland elsewhere more. I just hope this part of the Bayou with swamplot in its name.... is protected from the common flooding in some YouTube videos like I posted.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:54 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,285,811 times
Quote:
Then it can be like Dallas river plans though it is a floodplain. Too bad Houston planners the city did not set aside parkland elsewhere more. I just hope this part of the Bayou with swamplot in its name.... is protected from the common flooding in some YouTube videos like I posted.
The developers already building along the bayou, with more plans for continued development. The flooding isn't that common, it happens in years of extra-ordinarily excessive rainfall.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:13 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,978,326 times
I think Philadelphia and Wilmington are "hurt", to a certain extent. While both cities have riverfronts that have apartments and nice dining establishments on them, and cruises, the rivers themselves are a bit disconnected from the downtown areas and underutilized, imo. They aren't destinations "yet" in the sense of some other cities like Seattle and San Francisco.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:20 PM

3,235 posts, read 1,563,906 times
I think the OP means a level of waterfront that could develop to a Miami or Chicago.... Few major cities have a waterfront preserved organically? Due to mans neglect and industry of the past. Take a city as Chicago. It had to REMAKE a new lakefront that originally it lost due to mans neglect. Though entirely manmade. The results are awesome.....

Houston built inland its core 50-miles due to Galveston destroyed by a hurricane. LA built its core inland and I'd say was hurt. The core that is.

I would add a city with downtown with a Huge Park or entire city on a shore adds greatly . Also if tourist friendly with attractions. Is a Great asset. Having both a vibrant shore on a body of water - a lake, bay, ocean, navigable river is really is a BIG PLUS. Like Chicago and Miami, San Francisco as examples.

Chicago's downtown parks and waterfront
Looking north and south toward downtown.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:16 AM..

Old 07-07-2017, 07:22 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,025,702 times
I lived in both Milwaukee and Chicago, and their waterfront settings are amazing. They add so much to each city. Also, both have a river running through their downtown areas....that's a bonus, as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...w=1920&bih=974

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...w=1920&bih=974

Links to Milwaukee's waterfronts.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:48 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,682,158 times
I can't think of a really good downtown without a major waterfront. Good/ok ones sure.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:15 AM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,197,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
That's too artificial, I don't like it. Dallas and Fort Worth should take advantage of their natural surroundings in an organic way, not try to become something weird and outta place.
"Too artificial..."

What? These are massive urban development/revitalization projects, not nature reserves.

Dallas is building a giant park and we're basically doubling the size of our downtown area. Both involving waterfront for the Trinity.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:19 AM

7,826 posts, read 12,344,313 times
Downtown Dallas is amazing despite the Trinity River not being navigable. A large navigable rivers today may actually be a drawback too since it may industrialize the waterfront. For example the Baton Rouge waterfront is quite industrialized and while we are glad to have the industries here for economic reasons it makes the waterfront less pretty.

Downtown Atlanta also doesn't have a major water, neither do Nashville, Salt Lake City, Denver or Las Vegas and they have wonderful downtowns. Some cities with waterfronts like Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Detroit are not great cities at all. I don't think downtown Dallas is inferior to downtown Houston. I venture to say downtown Nashville and Denver are nicer than downtown Detroit and downtown Baltimore.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:21 AM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,197,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Downtown Dallas is amazing despite the Trinity River not being navigable.
...I think that's the first time I've ever seen or heard anyone say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or