U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:59 AM

425 posts, read 294,378 times

Advertisements

I think if a city has a lot to offer it's residents and visitors,then people will overlook a waterfront. Although, a waterfront in a city, whether it is a river, lake, ocean or bay really adds to the environment, in most cases. On the flip side, there are many cities with riversides that have lackluster downtowns...looking at you Cleveland and Detroit.

I live near Lexington, KY now and I think some form of waterfront in downtown would be awesome for the city, but being landlocked it will not happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 09:59 AM

2,549 posts, read 1,640,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
. Some cities with waterfronts like Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Detroit are not great cities at all.
Center city(Downtown) of Philadelphia is awesome and is more populated than Downtown Chicago. Try to visit before passing judgement.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:28 AM

2,006 posts, read 1,020,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Center city(Downtown) of Philadelphia is awesome and is more populated than Downtown Chicago. Try to visit before passing judgement.
If it's more, it's because Philadelphia decided to include more areas in its downtown...the footprint grew, hence the population.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:34 AM

6,561 posts, read 10,274,001 times
The South Platte and Cherry Creek aren't hurting Denver. It has one of the fastest-growing downtown areas in the country.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:37 AM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,521,827 times
Eh, I honestly don't care for it.

LA, Denver, Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and etc. don't seem to be harmed by not having a water front. I don't really think a Waterfront is really NEEDED to improve the outlook of a Downtown area, nor do I think it's essential, especially when you have other aspects of a Downtown that catches people's attention. I mean look at Mexico City's city centre, by comparison it BLOWS a lot of the US's downtown's out the water outside of NYC.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:58 AM

2,585 posts, read 3,731,498 times
I've lived in cities with and without waterfronts and I vastly prefer those with them as opposed to without. When done well, they create a central public space that cities without seem to lack. Take for instance the cities _OT mentioned. I am most familiar with Atlanta but I have visited LA(can you really consider it to be without a waterfront with the Pacific Ocean a few miles away?), Charlotte, Birmingham, and Phoenix. These cities are very decentralized and spread out. There are a lot of factors that led to them being that way but I think the lack of a waterfront may have an impact. They are allowed to spread in whatever direction without any natural barriers. I'm not saying cities with waterfronts don't sprawl but they seem to have much better downtowns.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:32 PM

4,486 posts, read 2,672,469 times
The industrial point is valid, but many former industrial/maritime waterfronts now use the old infrastructure in great ways, maybe integrated with some remaining maritime uses. (Seattle is wrestling with this...we might always have maritime and industrial uses in places some people would love to have neighborhoods or open space.)

Waterfronts are great for concentrating activity. People like water. And (a big key) you can have a long pedestrian zone with no streets in the way, even if that means walking under bridges. Hotel guests, residents, and companies love to be right on water or at least be able to look at it.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:14 PM

683 posts, read 733,491 times
Quote:
Some cities with waterfronts like Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Detroit are not great cities at all. I don't think downtown Dallas is inferior to downtown Houston. I venture to say downtown Nashville and Denver are nicer than downtown Detroit and downtown Baltimore.
Baltimore's waterfront actually is a huge asset for the city and adds to its downtown in reference to this topic. Baltimore city as a whole has its problems like other cities, but the waterfront and the areas near the water are not like anything you'll find in other cities near its core. So I disagree.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 07-10-2017 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 06:49 PM

7,824 posts, read 12,333,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
Baltimore's waterfront actually is a huge asset for the city and adds to its downtown in reference to this topic. Baltimore city as a whole has its problems like other cities, but the waterfront and the areas near the water are not like anything you'll find in other cities near its core. So I disagree.
Baltimore is better having its waterfront than not having it. But its still not as nice as several non-waterfront cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Denver, and Dallas.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:09 PM

367 posts, read 472,855 times
Quote:
Downtown Dallas is amazing despite the Trinity River not being navigable. A large navigable rivers today may actually be a drawback too since it may industrialize the waterfront. For example the Baton Rouge waterfront is quite industrialized and while we are glad to have the industries here for economic reasons it makes the waterfront less pretty.

Downtown Atlanta also doesn't have a major water, neither do Nashville, Salt Lake City, Denver or Las Vegas and they have wonderful downtowns. Some cities with waterfronts like Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Detroit are not great cities at all. I don't think downtown Dallas is inferior to downtown Houston. I venture to say downtown Nashville and Denver are nicer than downtown Detroit and downtown Baltimore.
Nashville has quite a major waterway running adjacent to downtown. Denver has also done a good job of beautifying it's downtown waterfront, turning it into an amenity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or