U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:10 AM

10 posts, read 3,632 times

Advertisements

Hi, im looking for a city where I could practice those things whens its season. My main focus is parkour, gymnastics and obstacle course training, so if the city have any facilites for that, then that weights the most. Climbing, downhill MTB and snowboard are the bonuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 11:16 AM

6,563 posts, read 10,277,227 times
Denver, Colorado Springs, and Salt Lake City are your best bets for big cities, but none of them are truly in the mountains. If you want to be smack dab in the mountains them you're going to have to move to either Flagstaff or smaller, expensive resort towns like Park City, Steamboat Springs, Vail, or Aspen.

The northern Appalachians are also a possibility, but the skiing/snowboarding is inferior to what you'll find in the west.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:44 AM

21,196 posts, read 30,388,339 times
Park City UT would definitely be a good option. It's also the closest to a decent-sized city, just 40 minutes from Salt Lake City.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:11 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,527,063 times
The Denver area in general would be great, Boulder specifically (outdoor paradise).

Old 07-09-2017, 03:03 PM

10 posts, read 3,632 times
Alright, I checked out those places and they seems amazing, especially Denver and Boulder. Two other cities showed up when i checked them out, Portland and Seattle. What do you think about them? How do they fair up?

Old 07-09-2017, 03:44 PM

4,490 posts, read 2,674,615 times
Skiing apparently isn't as good in the PNW on the wet (west) side of each state. But you can be on a glacier in August. And add a lot of water-related sports, with wetsuit generally. Sailing, scuba diving, etc.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:32 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,641,749 times
Reno and lake Tahoe have the largest concentration of ski resorts in North America.
Reno's downtown has the tallest artificial climbing wall.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:10 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,153,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbambocha View Post
Hi, im looking for a city where I could practice those things whens its season. My main focus is parkour, gymnastics and obstacle course training, so if the city have any facilites for that, then that weights the most. Climbing, downhill MTB and snowboard are the bonuses.
Boise is a great option. There is a new outdoor parkour course downtown with several more indoor courses as well as gymnastics facilities. A new indoor extreme recreation park is opening up later this year in the suburbs. Last month the X Games BMX and Skateboard Park qualifier was held at the new park downtown where the outdoor parkour course is located. If you are into whitewater and kayaking, there is an expanding whitewater park on the Boise River near downtown and the nations finest whitewater rivers are up in the mountains north of Boise.

The Black Cliffs just outside of city limits are tall black basalt cliffs in the Boise River Canyon and are very popular for rock climbing. Boise is also known as one of the best MTB cities in the west and has over 200 miles of single track in the Foothills that rise above the city. You don't have to drive out of town to mountain bike here in Boise because the trails begin in the city. There is also the paved Boise River Greenbelt that runs nearly 30 miles on both sides of the Boise River through the city. Sun Valley is a few hours away and has some of the finest alpine mountain biking trails anywhere.

Bogus Basin Ski Area is a half hour drive straight up the mountain from downtown and has 52 runs open for snowboarding. Sun Valley, Tamarack, and Brundage ski/snowboard resorts are all within a few hours drive of Boise.

All of these resorts including Bogus run their ski lifts during the summer months and welcome mountain bikers to ride down the trails.

http://bogusbasin.org/summer-activit...untain-biking/

http://tamarackidaho.com/summer-acti...ountain-biking

https://brundage.com/on-the-mountain...untain-biking/

https://visitsunvalley.com/searching...ew-playground/

Old 07-12-2017, 08:58 AM

2,406 posts, read 5,255,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Denver, Colorado Springs, and Salt Lake City are your best bets for big cities, but none of them are truly in the mountains. If you want to be smack dab in the mountains them you're going to have to move to either Flagstaff or smaller, expensive resort towns like Park City, Steamboat Springs, Vail, or Aspen.

The northern Appalachians are also a possibility, but the skiing/snowboarding is inferior to what you'll find in the west.
Denver and Boulder, yes. SLC, nonsense. There's no real city in the country that comes even close to the outdoor access offered by SLC. Mountain towns, yes. Actual cities, no. We're talking literally minutes to some of the most hard core outdoor sports terrain anyplace on earth. The winter sport terrain at Alta/Snowbird crushes Park city, Steamboat and Vail, though Aspen might be argued in the same category. World class climbing, both rock and ice, are just as close. So is mountain biking. Ditto hiking, trail running and more. People literally ride the city bus to all this stuff. Try that in Denver! On top of all that, Moab is close by and no place in the world can challenge that slickrock terrain for biking.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:11 AM

760 posts, read 590,159 times
SLC and Boise probably have better access to sports than Denver and Boulder.

I am pretty active, but literally every activity I do requires a 3+ hour drive with traffic and crowds. I mountain bike a lot in Denver. Unless I am going after work during the week (which traffic kills a lot of daytime), there are no decent trails within an hour from the metro that wont be insanely packed. Parking lots fills up, you have to stop every 2 mins because of hikers and other bikers, off leash dogs cutting you off, and lots of other people riding up behind you. It's manageable once you figure out the crowd patterns, but it as left me riding only on week nights, or before 5am on weekends.

Spending some time in SLC and Boise, it was nice to have access to so much right within town. Sure there were some crowds, but nothing like the Front Range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or