U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2017, 01:48 PM
 
Location: I is where I is
2,097 posts, read 1,527,883 times
Reputation: 2315

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaNewWay View Post
Sounds nice. Yes, in Houston people are also nice in general and since I haven't been to many places in the U.S. yet, I have no good perception of the friendliness meter by the region.

What do you think of the Bay Area? Pros & cons.. (I know a con is the cost of living).




Albany.. hmmmm... I'll look into it!




I agree with you and the nature is definitely far more beautiful in Colorado. No humidity and less bugs are always great.
I'll gladly provide what I personally think are Pro's & Cons

Pros- A lot to do, some great scenery & outdoor activities, a lot of national parks close by, and potential to make good money depending on your career field

Cons- Way to expensive (in every way imaginable), making a good amount of money means a terrible work to life ratio, WAY TO MANY HOMELESS EVERYWHERE, traffic sucks all the time, expensive bridge tolls, car registration and fees are ungodly expensive, people tend to be stuck up & rude (Bay Area was ranked #9 for rudest people), way to liberal for my taste, poorly run government, a lot of petty crime all the time (car break ins, etc...).

To me, the Bay Area has way more cons. I enjoy certain aspects, but cannot wait to move next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2017, 01:49 PM
 
2,797 posts, read 1,643,462 times
Reputation: 2033
Seattle, Nashville, and RDU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2017, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
11 posts, read 5,348 times
Reputation: 10
I forgot to mention that I'm interested in less religious states, that's more in line with my values and perspective. Any additional ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2017, 01:53 PM
 
2,797 posts, read 1,643,462 times
Reputation: 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaNewWay View Post
I forgot to mention that I'm interested in less religious states, that's more in line with my values and perspective. Any additional ideas?
Raleigh is probably one of the least religious cities in the south, take that for what it's worth. You could also try Twin Cities if you don't mind the cold. I would never live there for that reason, that and the fact that everyone there is like 6'2".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2017, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,563 posts, read 10,280,522 times
Reputation: 9817
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaNewWay View Post
I forgot to mention that I'm interested in less religious states, that's more in line with my values and perspective. Any additional ideas?
Out of the states with major metros that are capable of supporting a wide array of tech jobs it's Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, and California.

Most and least religious U.S. states | Pew Research Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2017, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,563 posts, read 10,280,522 times
Reputation: 9817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Raleigh is probably one of the least religious cities in the south, take that for what it's worth. You could also try Twin Cities if you don't mind the cold. I would never live there for that reason, that and the fact that everyone there is like 6'2".
Overall, though, North Carolina is a top 10 most religious state in the country. M/SP is a beautiful city, but their winters suck. Months on end where the average daytime high is below freezing. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2017, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
11 posts, read 5,348 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I'll gladly provide what I personally think are Pro's & Cons

Pros- A lot to do, some great scenery & outdoor activities, a lot of national parks close by, and potential to make good money depending on your career field

Cons- Way to expensive (in every way imaginable), making a good amount of money means a terrible work to life ratio, WAY TO MANY HOMELESS EVERYWHERE, traffic sucks all the time, expensive bridge tolls, car registration and fees are ungodly expensive, people tend to be stuck up & rude (Bay Area was ranked #9 for rudest people), way to liberal for my taste, poorly run government, a lot of petty crime all the time (car break ins, etc...).

To me, the Bay Area has way more cons. I enjoy certain aspects, but cannot wait to move next year.
That's definitely a lot of cons! Just not worth it. Where do you plan to move? (if you don't mind the question).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Seattle, Nashville, and RDU
I'm considering Washington of the above you mentioned but isn't Seattle way too expensive? What do you think?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Raleigh is probably one of the least religious cities in the south, take that for what it's worth. You could also try Twin Cities if you don't mind the cold. I would never live there for that reason, that and the fact that everyone there is like 6'2".
I believe you! Lol at that height remark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Out of the states with major metros that are capable of supporting a wide array of tech jobs it's Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, and California.

Most and least religious U.S. states | Pew Research Center
All are viable choices, but about Nevada, do you think it has something to offer as far as tech jobs where the weather is nice and not near the desert? And what are your thoughts on the affordability of California in the long term?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Overall, though, North Carolina is a top 10 most religious state in the country. M/SP is a beautiful city, but their winters suck. Months on end where the average daytime high is below freezing. No thanks.
That's true, NC is one of the 10 top religious states in the country. Unfortunately, because it seems like a good state to consider. I think M-SP gets, maybe, 5 months of okay temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2017, 10:40 PM
 
2,549 posts, read 1,642,928 times
Reputation: 2034
Reno and lake Tahoe has beautiful scenery and have tons of outdoor activity. There is 4 season weather but mild and not too extreme. The tech sector is burgeoning.
The Cons is the population is small (500k) and cost of living is increasing rapidly due to growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2017, 11:50 PM
 
2,099 posts, read 768,896 times
Reputation: 2255
Progressives with open minds? You're looking for unicorns.

But in all honesty it seems like you want an area with more of a collectivist mentality and large government; but dont want to pay for it. Big government is very expensive which is why youll never find an area with lots of government thats affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2017, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
11 posts, read 5,348 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Reno and lake Tahoe has beautiful scenery and have tons of outdoor activity. There is 4 season weather but mild and not too extreme. The tech sector is burgeoning.
The Cons is the population is small (500k) and cost of living is increasing rapidly due to growth.
California was in mind a while ago but the cost of living kept me from considering it for the long term. I heard it's very beautiful and I am going to visit one day!


Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Progressives with open minds? You're looking for unicorns.

But in all honesty it seems like you want an area with more of a collectivist mentality and large government; but dont want to pay for it. Big government is very expensive which is why youll never find an area with lots of government thats affordable.
Oh no... don't shatter my dreams ah... I guess I'm willing to make a little bit of a compromise with affordability and with progressive thinking. Just a little. Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top