U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,529,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaNewWay View Post
That's definitely a lot of cons! Just not worth it. Where do you plan to move? (if you don't mind the question).

I'm considering Washington of the above you mentioned but isn't Seattle way too expensive? What do you think?

I believe you! Lol at that height remark.

All are viable choices, but about Nevada, do you think it has something to offer as far as tech jobs where the weather is nice and not near the desert? And what are your thoughts on the affordability of California in the long term?

That's true, NC is one of the 10 top religious states in the country. Unfortunately, because it seems like a good state to consider. I think M-SP gets, maybe, 5 months of okay temps.
Not 100% sure on where we will be moving next year. We have a list of around 10 places that we are looking into, also depends which city my company prefers me (I ultimately have the choice though). We are from Southern Indiana (about 20 minutes from Louisville, KY) and would prefer to get close to the East Coast or South if possible. It's more affordable, nicer people, and just a more peaceful lifestyle, which is what we prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Reno and lake Tahoe has beautiful scenery and have tons of outdoor activity. There is 4 season weather but mild and not too extreme. The tech sector is burgeoning.
The Cons is the population is small (500k) and cost of living is increasing rapidly due to growth.
As much as I love Tahoe & Reno, the winter is a true winter, and not mild at all...

The average highs in winter are around 35-45 degrees and lows in the 20s. There is an average snowfall of 400+ inches, and last year was even crazier than usual. Roads get shut down a lot as well. That wouldn't classify as "mild".

Old 07-11-2017, 09:01 PM

2,551 posts, read 1,645,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
As much as I love Tahoe & Reno, the winter is a true winter, and not mild at all...

The average highs in winter are around 35-45 degrees and lows in the 20s. There is an average snowfall of 400+ inches, and last year was even crazier than usual. Roads get shut down a lot as well. That wouldn't classify as "mild".
Tahoe is very snowy but Reno is on the rain shadow and got less than 20 inches of snow total. High in winter is in 40s-50s but feel really warm due to the sun and dryness. Much better than the Eastc coast and midwest.

Reno is mild. Tahoe is not. But Tahoe is still milder than the Colorado ski resorts.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Tahoe is very snowy but Reno is on the rain shadow and got less than 20 inches of snow total. High in winter is in 40s-50s but feel really warm due to the sun and dryness. Much better than the Eastc coast and midwest.

Reno is mild. Tahoe is not. But Tahoe is still milder than the Colorado ski resorts.
Still doesn't make Tahoe a "mild" winter just because it's less "mild" than somewhere else.

It's snows a ton, it gets cold, and there's a reason tourists flock there in the winter to enjoy the snow sports.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:38 PM

11 posts, read 5,354 times
Quote:
Not 100% sure on where we will be moving next year. We have a list of around 10 places that we are looking into, also depends which city my company prefers me (I ultimately have the choice though). We are from Southern Indiana (about 20 minutes from Louisville, KY) and would prefer to get close to the East Coast or South if possible. It's more affordable, nicer people, and just a more peaceful lifestyle, which is what we prefer.
You know, I was looking into Indiana but I wasn't sure.. One of the things that turned me off was the drugs' problem there.
From the research I've done, Indiana seems to be affordable. You think otherwise? And why?

And Thank You everyone!!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
You know, I was looking into Indiana but I wasn't sure.. One of the things that turned me off was the drugs' problem there.
From the research I've done, Indiana seems to be affordable. You think otherwise? And why?

And Thank You everyone!!
Indiana is definitely affordable, and I'm more than happy to call it my "true home".

Drugs are an issue in almost ANY rural area in the US, Indiana is no exception.

However where I am from (Southern Indiana), specifically, Floyds Knobs, there is no worry about that. There are a lot of great towns in Southern Indiana.

Lanesville, Georgetown, Corydon, Sellersburg, New Albany, and Floyds Knobs are just a few I'd highly recommend. The best part, they're all within an easy driving distance (anywhere from 10-30 minutes) from Louisville, KY which is a large metro.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:22 AM

11 posts, read 5,354 times
Quote:
Indiana is definitely affordable, and I'm more than happy to call it my "true home".

Drugs are an issue in almost ANY rural area in the US, Indiana is no exception.

However where I am from (Southern Indiana), specifically, Floyds Knobs, there is no worry about that. There are a lot of great towns in Southern Indiana.

Lanesville, Georgetown, Corydon, Sellersburg, New Albany, and Floyds Knobs are just a few I'd highly recommend. The best part, they're all within an easy driving distance (anywhere from 10-30 minutes) from Louisville, KY which is a large metro.
I see your point. What was worrying me that it's one of the top states with meth problems. I really appreciate the information you provided, this will help me with my search further about Indiana. I'm really interested in the possibility.

Would you say Southern Indiana has good opportunities for technology related jobs?

Old 07-17-2017, 09:52 AM

23,632 posts, read 17,606,575 times
Quote:
I see your point. What was worrying me that it's one of the top states with meth problems. I really appreciate the information you provided, this will help me with my search further about Indiana. I'm really interested in the possibility.

Would you say Southern Indiana has good opportunities for technology related jobs?
Virtually any tech related work is going to be in Louisville. Louisville is an awesome city, with a great, developed urban core, prominent LGBT community, terrific food scene, progressive for KY without being stiflingly liberal, etc. It's one of my favorite mid-sized cities.

Places like Floyd's Knobs, New Albany, etc., are basically small towns that are Louisville suburbs these days. I wouldn't think there is much tech employment there. The outdoor opportunities around Louisville and southern IN are better than Indianapolis, but not as good as most of TN.

I lived in Indianapolis for three years, but am from northeast TN. Indianapolis is affordable for a large city and a good value for what you get. It's going to be considerably cheaper than Nashville or Austin. Indianapolis also has a good tech scene with a diverse economy - you could work for say, a biotech or real estate company in a technical role. For outdoors? It sucks, bad. Crime in many parts of the city proper is also a concern, as it is on the west end of Louisville.

An off the wall choice that you might not know about it is Chattanooga, TN. The city has a growing tech scene, gigabit internet throughout the city run by the power company for $70/month, excellent outdoor opportunities, mild climate, relatively affordable housing, and no state or local income taxes. Google "Chattanooga tech scene" and "devanooga" for more info.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Louisville, KY will be the best for tech related jobs near Southern Indiana.

Louisville is my "home", and I miss it dearly. It's super affordable for a Metro of its size, and has some amazing neighborhoods. Anything crime related in Louisville is almost always in the West End, so avoid that area.

The great thing about Southern Indiana, is its proximity to Louisville, KY. I lived in Floyds Knobs, which is a super nice area with top rated schools, and was only 20 minutes from downtown Louisville,KY. Southern Indiana, as I mentioned is also VERY affordable.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Virtually any tech related work is going to be in Louisville. Louisville is an awesome city, with a great, developed urban core, prominent LGBT community, terrific food scene, progressive for KY without being stiflingly liberal, etc. It's one of my favorite mid-sized cities.

Places like Floyd's Knobs, New Albany, etc., are basically small towns that are Louisville suburbs these days. I wouldn't think there is much tech employment there. The outdoor opportunities around Louisville and southern IN are better than Indianapolis, but not as good as most of TN.

I lived in Indianapolis for three years, but am from northeast TN. Indianapolis is affordable for a large city and a good value for what you get. It's going to be considerably cheaper than Nashville or Austin. Indianapolis also has a good tech scene with a diverse economy - you could work for say, a biotech or real estate company in a technical role. For outdoors? It sucks, bad. Crime in many parts of the city proper is also a concern, as it is on the west end of Louisville.

An off the wall choice that you might not know about it is Chattanooga, TN. The city has a growing tech scene, gigabit internet throughout the city run by the power company for $70/month, excellent outdoor opportunities, mild climate, relatively affordable housing, and no state or local income taxes. Google "Chattanooga tech scene" and "devanooga" for more info.
Thank you for actually knowing what you're talking about! So many people associate Louisville as just another "redneck" town in Kentucky, without realizing Louisville is FAR different than the state of Kentucky.

Being my home, it's drives me insane when I see people who have no clue talking about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or