U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:43 AM

56,755 posts, read 81,082,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech_Valley

The Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro is in the center of this area and may be worth a look.
NY TECH VALLEY FIRST

Tech Valley Young Professionals Network | Capital Region Chamber of Commerce

Startup Tech Valley | A new monthly meetup for first-time entrepreneurs, experienced entrepreneurs, aspiring entrepreneurs, investors, mentors, employees of startups, service providers to startups, and anyone else who wants to be involved.

Home - Tech Valley Connect

Tech Valley: A Hub of Research and Development

Say Hello to Our New York | Capital Region Chamber of Commerce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:57 AM

2,293 posts, read 1,300,726 times
Yes, unfortunately, the Cost Of Living is high in Seattle, and getting higher. The population is growing, and so is the congestion-the traffic sucks, and is getting worse. Also, it seems that some people have trouble adjusting to the grey, overcast winters

That being said, the Seattle area is, otherwise, a highly desirable place to live.

BTW, I used to live in San Francisco-the Bay Area is a very desirable place, except that it is one of the most expensive areas in the country.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:51 PM

11 posts, read 5,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Virtually any tech related work is going to be in Louisville. Louisville is an awesome city, with a great, developed urban core, prominent LGBT community, terrific food scene, progressive for KY without being stiflingly liberal, etc. It's one of my favorite mid-sized cities.

Places like Floyd's Knobs, New Albany, etc., are basically small towns that are Louisville suburbs these days. I wouldn't think there is much tech employment there. The outdoor opportunities around Louisville and southern IN are better than Indianapolis, but not as good as most of TN.

I lived in Indianapolis for three years, but am from northeast TN. Indianapolis is affordable for a large city and a good value for what you get. It's going to be considerably cheaper than Nashville or Austin. Indianapolis also has a good tech scene with a diverse economy - you could work for say, a biotech or real estate company in a technical role. For outdoors? It sucks, bad. Crime in many parts of the city proper is also a concern, as it is on the west end of Louisville.

An off the wall choice that you might not know about it is Chattanooga, TN. The city has a growing tech scene, gigabit internet throughout the city run by the power company for $70/month, excellent outdoor opportunities, mild climate, relatively affordable housing, and no state or local income taxes. Google "Chattanooga tech scene" and "devanooga" for more info.
Living in the suburbs in Southern Indiana close to Louisville seems like what I would do if I am to work in Louisville. Main concern I have about TN is religion, it's the 3rd in the nation. Other than that, it seems like a good option. Chattanooga is beautiful and it sound interesting from what you described.

Yeah, it seems like Indianapolis has nothing to offer as far as beautiful nature.

Thank you for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Louisville, KY will be the best for tech related jobs near Southern Indiana.

Louisville is my "home", and I miss it dearly. It's super affordable for a Metro of its size, and has some amazing neighborhoods. Anything crime related in Louisville is almost always in the West End, so avoid that area.

The great thing about Southern Indiana, is its proximity to Louisville, KY. I lived in Floyds Knobs, which is a super nice area with top rated schools, and was only 20 minutes from downtown Louisville,KY. Southern Indiana, as I mentioned is also VERY affordable.
I looked up Floyds Knobs + houses in it. I like it.

Thank you for the links! I'll look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Yes, unfortunately, the Cost Of Living is high in Seattle, and getting higher. The population is growing, and so is the congestion-the traffic sucks, and is getting worse. Also, it seems that some people have trouble adjusting to the grey, overcast winters

That being said, the Seattle area is, otherwise, a highly desirable place to live.

BTW, I used to live in San Francisco-the Bay Area is a very desirable place, except that it is one of the most expensive areas in the country.
I heard about the terrible traffic in Seattle too. As far as weather, I LOVE the rain and gloominess.
It is highly desirable, no doubt. I'm weighing out the pros and cons and thinking long term too.

Thank you for the info, everyone.

Question for any one to answer (I'm being greedy, I know). What are your thoughts on the following cities/states?

Montana
Portland, Oregon
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Ohio
Wisconsin

Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 PM

15,407 posts, read 19,176,345 times
Boston area or Portland

For the industry you're in, NYC, Los Angeles, Bay Area will be strongest work wise

Old 07-17-2017, 07:43 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,531,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaNewWay View Post
Living in the suburbs in Southern Indiana close to Louisville seems like what I would do if I am to work in Louisville. Main concern I have about TN is religion, it's the 3rd in the nation. Other than that, it seems like a good option. Chattanooga is beautiful and it sound interesting from what you described.

Yeah, it seems like Indianapolis has nothing to offer as far as beautiful nature.

Thank you for the links! I'll look into it!

I heard about the terrible traffic in Seattle too. As far as weather, I LOVE the rain and gloominess.
It is highly desirable, no doubt. I'm weighing out the pros and cons and thinking long term too.

Thank you for the info, everyone.

Question for any one to answer (I'm being greedy, I know). What are your thoughts on the following cities/states?

Montana
Portland, Oregon
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Ohio
Wisconsin
Floyds Knobs is a great area.

As far as the areas you mentioned, here are my opinions (I've been to all places).

Montana- If you can brace the winter, it's a beautiful place. Jackson Hole is the only place I've been. I've went twice, once in winter and once before winter. At both times, I fell in love. I would LOVE to live there, it's just a little too much winter for me.

Portland- Gloomy weather often, but I actually LIKE the weather. Never gets too hot. Mountains & coast not far away. And outdoor haven. Expensive to live in actual Portland, some nice suburbs are affordable though. Definitely a "hipster" capital. It's also very liberal if that's an issue

Minneapolis- Falls in line with my opinion on Montana. It's a GREAT place, and I'm actually going again in September for a few days. The only downfall, too much of a winter for me

Ohio- There are some great areas around Ohio. Cincinnati is finally becoming the city it has always tried to be. A lot of people are moving there, especially the younger crowd. Columbus is also a good area. The negative would be the rural areas, because they're very involved in the drug situations. A lot of meth, heroine, etc... Overall though, I've thought about moving to Ohio, it reminds me of Southern Indiana (home for me) in a lot of aspects. It's also pretty darn affordable

Wisconsin- Again, too much winter for me. But Madison is an amazing place. Again, a lot of people are moving there. Very "up & coming" and for good reason.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:55 AM

23,651 posts, read 17,632,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaNewWay View Post

Ohio
Keep in mind overt religious displays are nowhere near what they used to be in TN, especially in the larger metros like Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga. Nashville has so many transplants from everywhere these days that I think it's lost much of whatever TN charm it had. It's anywhere USA now. Living in the Nashville suburbs isn't going to be that different than the Chicago or Detroit suburbs. The urban core of Nashville is so expensive now that native Tennesseans are going to have trouble affording it on local wages. An out of area transplant selling their expensive Boston condo and coming down here with hundreds of thousands in home equity may still find it reasonable, but it is getting too expensive for the average person unless you drive in from way out.

Keep in mind you'll be out roughly $1,300/month, maybe closer to $1,500/month, for a 1BR in the hippest neighborhoods of Nashville, with a floor of about $1,000/month for anything, maybe a bit more. $1,300/month could get you about any 1BR you want anywhere in Louisville, and you can also go down a good bit below $1,000 too. Louisville is just much cheaper.

Urban Knoxville and Chattanooga aren't going to be full of people beating religion over your head. If someone invites you to church, you can politely decline and most people will leave it alone. I live in a small, isolated town in extreme northeast TN, and it is not uncommon to hear religious music playing in fast food restaurants, gyms, and other businesses that are not religious, Bible quotes on business signs, things of that nature, but we're a smaller, isolated, and much older area than anywhere you'd be considering. I would avoid rural or small TN towns, but that's largely due to the bad economy in these areas.

I still think Louisville may be one of your best bets. Chattanooga has a lot of outdoors stuff and supposedly a good tech scene (I haven't spent enough time there to know) and I've liked it when I'm there. Still, it's pretty small and Louisville has a lot more going on overall. Nashville may be too expensive, and Knoxville doesn't have a lot of tech work.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 575 times
I would suggest Denver by its:
Easy Access & Walkability
A Foodie Paradise
Vibrant Neighborhoods
The Sporting Life
read here: Denver Vacations, Activities & Things To Do | Colorado.com
beside all of those things, Denver is the only one place matching your requirement.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:35 AM

11 posts, read 5,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Boston area or Portland

For the industry you're in, NYC, Los Angeles, Bay Area will be strongest work wise
Thank you! Of the above, I think Portland is the most affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Floyds Knobs is a great area.

As far as the areas you mentioned, here are my opinions (I've been to all places).

Montana- If you can brace the winter, it's a beautiful place. Jackson Hole is the only place I've been. I've went twice, once in winter and once before winter. At both times, I fell in love. I would LOVE to live there, it's just a little too much winter for me.

Portland- Gloomy weather often, but I actually LIKE the weather. Never gets too hot. Mountains & coast not far away. And outdoor haven. Expensive to live in actual Portland, some nice suburbs are affordable though. Definitely a "hipster" capital. It's also very liberal if that's an issue

Minneapolis- Falls in line with my opinion on Montana. It's a GREAT place, and I'm actually going again in September for a few days. The only downfall, too much of a winter for me

Ohio- There are some great areas around Ohio. Cincinnati is finally becoming the city it has always tried to be. A lot of people are moving there, especially the younger crowd. Columbus is also a good area. The negative would be the rural areas, because they're very involved in the drug situations. A lot of meth, heroine, etc... Overall though, I've thought about moving to Ohio, it reminds me of Southern Indiana (home for me) in a lot of aspects. It's also pretty darn affordable

Wisconsin- Again, too much winter for me. But Madison is an amazing place. Again, a lot of people are moving there. Very "up & coming" and for good reason.

Great! Thank you for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Keep in mind overt religious displays are nowhere near what they used to be in TN, especially in the larger metros like Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga. Nashville has so many transplants from everywhere these days that I think it's lost much of whatever TN charm it had. It's anywhere USA now. Living in the Nashville suburbs isn't going to be that different than the Chicago or Detroit suburbs. The urban core of Nashville is so expensive now that native Tennesseans are going to have trouble affording it on local wages. An out of area transplant selling their expensive Boston condo and coming down here with hundreds of thousands in home equity may still find it reasonable, but it is getting too expensive for the average person unless you drive in from way out.

Keep in mind you'll be out roughly $1,300/month, maybe closer to $1,500/month, for a 1BR in the hippest neighborhoods of Nashville, with a floor of about $1,000/month for anything, maybe a bit more. $1,300/month could get you about any 1BR you want anywhere in Louisville, and you can also go down a good bit below $1,000 too. Louisville is just much cheaper.

Urban Knoxville and Chattanooga aren't going to be full of people beating religion over your head. If someone invites you to church, you can politely decline and most people will leave it alone. I live in a small, isolated town in extreme northeast TN, and it is not uncommon to hear religious music playing in fast food restaurants, gyms, and other businesses that are not religious, Bible quotes on business signs, things of that nature, but we're a smaller, isolated, and much older area than anywhere you'd be considering. I would avoid rural or small TN towns, but that's largely due to the bad economy in these areas.

I still think Louisville may be one of your best bets. Chattanooga has a lot of outdoors stuff and supposedly a good tech scene (I haven't spent enough time there to know) and I've liked it when I'm there. Still, it's pretty small and Louisville has a lot more going on overall. Nashville may be too expensive, and Knoxville doesn't have a lot of tech work.
I agree, Louisville seems to be a good one. Thank you for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerdinger View Post
I would suggest Denver by its:
Easy Access & Walkability
A Foodie Paradise
Vibrant Neighborhoods
The Sporting Life
read here: Denver Vacations, Activities & Things To Do | Colorado.com
beside all of those things, Denver is the only one place matching your requirement.

I'm considering Denver too. Thank you for the recommendation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or