U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 12:10 PM

482 posts, read 252,981 times

Advertisements

I gauge this by looking at the prevalence of suburban residents in an area who seem to completely disown their central city. I would assume Detroit is the winner in that sense? But ironically I'd say Milwaukee makes a strong case as well. I've been amazed by how many of their suburban residents talk about their specific small suburbs as if they stand alone -- they seem to prefer saying they're from Wisconsin rather than identifying with the metro. They ignore the existence of Milwaukee, as though it's not a big city right next door to them. Can any Wisconsinites here speak to that dynamic? Am I misreading things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 12:37 PM

4,892 posts, read 3,015,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Life long Chicagoan here. My experiences with people in the Chicagoland suburbs is that they most have a very positive feeling about the city and know how fortunate we are to have a world class city as our core. Chicago is the magnet that draws us. And if we wish to see our kids after they leave college, we have to go into Chicago to do so....because that's where they are.
This is how I see most Novans view DC. Austin not so much.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:48 PM

2,825 posts, read 1,666,965 times
Detroit seems like an obvious answer. Atlanta to some degree (more so 20 years ago then today). Also this may surprise some people but D.C is also up there. Plenty of people who live in the D.C suburbs have no desire to go downtown. Usually because they don't want to deal with tourist. Many of them also despise the government for obvious reasons.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:13 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,214,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Detroit seems like an obvious answer. Atlanta to some degree (more so 20 years ago then today). Also this may surprise some people but D.C is also up there. Plenty of people who live in the D.C suburbs have no desire to go downtown. Usually because they don't want to deal with tourist. Many of them also despise the government for obvious reasons.
I have relatives in NOVA who are Dallas Cowboys fans because they won't cheer for Washington. Apparently that is common in VA.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:51 PM

2,825 posts, read 1,666,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I have relatives in NOVA who are Dallas Cowboys fans because they won't cheer for Washington. Apparently that is common in VA.
Yeah unfortunately there's a lot of Cowboys fans out there. Most of them have never even been to Dallas. Although that's not just true in Nova, found plenty of them in Jersey to.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:02 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,236,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Newspaper comment sections are always filled with cranks, political/industry stooges, nutjobs, and shut-ins. It's like a rule. For example, if they're 90% against a ballot measure it still might pass overwhelmingly.

City/suburb divides are real but most people have more nuanced views than the loud voices we often hear, whether they're on talk radio or work with you.
St. Louis' issue is that the divide is governmental well. St. Louis has to deal with getting cannibalized by a city like Clayton since Clayton certainly has a better reputation at the moment. Other cities, even if their suburbs look down on them, generally have more sway over their suburbs. It's the county that calls the shots in the St. Louis region. Or at least it can feel that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Chicago. I hear people trash the city because of crime and taxes.
I wouldn't agree with this. Suburbanites might ***** about the city, but they always seem to claim Chicago in a heartbeat when asked where they're from. Additionally, Chicago's property taxes are generally lower than many of its suburbs.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:10 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,230,017 times
Flint, Detroit, Cleveland, Hartford, St Louis, and Atlanta

Old 07-09-2017, 03:16 PM

429 posts, read 319,122 times
I've actually seen it in Seattle as well. Many of the residents in neighboring counties or even other parts of King County complain about the city being a liberal, snarled with traffic, overspending entity that doesn't represent them. Just check out Seattle Times or MyNorthwest comment sections.

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/sick...unty/516535965

Dori Monson: I'm finished with downtown Seattle

This dislike of Seattle is even more extreme at the state level.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:52 PM

2,971 posts, read 4,355,761 times
Quote:
Yeah unfortunately there's a lot of Cowboys fans out there. Most of them have never even been to Dallas. Although that's not just true in Nova, found plenty of them in Jersey to.
"America's Team"

Old 07-09-2017, 07:02 PM

17,348 posts, read 19,620,797 times
Quote:
Plenty of people who live in the D.C suburbs have no desire to go downtown. Usually because they don't want to deal with tourist. Many of them also despise the government for obvious reasons.
I live in Maryland and enjoy going into DC. It never gets old for me.

I also like downtown Baltimore, Philly and NYC and go to those cities as much as I can as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or