U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 01:46 AM

392 posts, read 1,043,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Detroit. Suburbanites don't even acknowledge the city. If you ask someone from say, Farmington Hills or Sterling Heights or Livonia where they're from, they'll most likely say "Michigan". And if you ask, "Oh, where in Michigan?" they'll probably say "southeast Michigan". Then ask, "Detroit?" and they'll likely say, "well, outside of Detroit", as if their totally embarrassed to associate with the city.

There are plenty of city bashers in the St. Louis metro, but when they go out of town, almost all of them will proudly say they're from St. Louis.

One observation I've made about Detroit and Cleveland vs. St. Louis is that Detroiters and Clevelanders seem to claim their states proudly. There seems to be a lot of Michigan and Ohio pride (respectively) in those cities and residents of those cities proudly identify with their state. On the other hand, St. Louisans really have no love for the state of Missouri, and "Missouri pride" is not a thing at all. I think Kansas City identifies more closely with the state of Missouri, but St. Louis and its immediate suburbs seem very detached from the state. Fine by me.
Wrong. I'm a native St. Louisan. Lived, worked, played, went to college in the city. Now I live in the outer burbs and I'm quite proud to tell people I'm from Missouri when they ask. However, I don't say I'm from St. Louis cause I'm not proud of that fact.

How could anyone possibly be proud of repping a city that a century ago was the 4th most populated in the country and today is 62nd or something? Cities like Omaha, Wichita, Tulsa, Lexington, hell even Honolulu have more residents than StL does today. What a joke. The city has been purging both residents and big businesses dominance for decades. Purina sold out to Nestle. Boeing moved their headquarters out of StL. AB sold out to some Belgian company. Monsanto sold out to Bayer. Chrysler and Ford closed their StL plants. The Air Force base at Lambert closed. As if that's not bad enough, the city has lost 2 NFL teams, an NBA team and a MLB team. Plus it voted down the funding plan that would've brought a new MLS team. Cities on the rise don't have these things occurring. StL is in full free fall and will never again be a world class city like it was roughly a century ago when it hosted an Olympics. Hell, it's not even a national class city anymore, forget the world, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
I've noticed this....do you wish that there were more state pride or do you feel as though you are better than the state you're in?
The state of Missouri is way better than the city of St. Louis. Missouri is consistently ranked near the top of best state parks lists. I think they were 3rd or 4th last year. Missouri has the longest rails to trails bike path in the country, the Katy Trail. It has the second most caves of any state. It has one of the only known natural shut-ins in the world. It has the beautiful ozarks, with numerous large lakes. The two largest rivers in North America flow through the state. The cost of living is among the lowest in the nation. Crime is low outside of the urban cores. It's a great state for the outdoorsman/sportsman and for raising a family.

St. Louis is known as being a huge baseball town. Well you could eliminate the Cardinals from the picture and people in Missouri could still easily get their baseball fix. You've got the Rascals and Grizzlies in the suburbs, Mizzou, Lindenwood, Missouri State and countless other colleges, the AA affiliate of the Cardinals in Springfield, oh and last but not least, the last pro team in MO to win a World Series title, the Royals in KC. Speaking of KC, other than the Arch and the Blues/NHL, there's nothing you can do in StL that you can't do in KC. Yet in KC you can still catch an NFL or MLS game, two things StL lost recently.

The western part of Missouri is killing the eastern. The east has StL and Cape. The west has KC, Springfield, St. Joseph, Branson, the Ozarks, Whiteman AFB and the state fair in Sedalia. Damn writing this reply I think I just sold myself on why I need to move to the western part of the state. StL has too many bruises and cuts to ever get fully restored to the glory days. It's a has-been city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Austin and it's suburbs openly hate each other. Mutual feelings.
The most pretentious, arrogant, narcissistic people I've ever met are from Austin. It must be that chip on the shoulder they all carry from constantly getting slapped around by the likes of Dallas and Houston, the real world class cities in Texas. Does Austin even have a professional sports team? Hell even Las Vegas has an NHL team and OKC and San Antonio have an NBA teams. Talk about lackluster in Austin. For being such an artsy, hipster, liberal haven as it claims to be, you would think that Austin would at least have legal recreational cannabis..but nope. Must be a bunch of posers in Austin cause most of the other artsy, liberal havens have it. Seattle, Portland, Denver, Boston, SF, LA.

OP, I'm a St. Louis native and I've come to hate the city of StL, so that should answer your question. Even the beloved Cardinals are starting to annoy me as I get older. It's as if people only care about them and just ignore the real problems in StL, like crime, the city/county divide, decrepit infrastructure etc. Whatever, I'm over it. I quit caring long ago since nobody else cares. Missouri is a great state though in general, especially for my interests. I quite fancy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 05:41 AM

482 posts, read 251,129 times
This is the most EPIC take-down of one's own city/metro area I've ever seen ... I'm not disagreeing with you. It's just ... WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Wrong. I'm a native St. Louisan. Lived, worked, played, went to college in the city. Now I live in the outer burbs and I'm quite proud to tell people I'm from Missouri when they ask. However, I don't say I'm from St. Louis cause I'm not proud of that fact.

How could anyone possibly be proud of repping a city that a century ago was the 4th most populated in the country and today is 62nd or something? Cities like Omaha, Wichita, Tulsa, Lexington, hell even Honolulu have more residents than StL does today. What a joke. The city has been purging both residents and big businesses dominance for decades. Purina sold out to Nestle. Boeing moved their headquarters out of StL. AB sold out to some Belgian company. Monsanto sold out to Bayer. Chrysler and Ford closed their StL plants. The Air Force base at Lambert closed. As if that's not bad enough, the city has lost 2 NFL teams, an NBA team and a MLB team. Plus it voted down the funding plan that would've brought a new MLS team. Cities on the rise don't have these things occurring. StL is in full free fall and will never again be a world class city like it was roughly a century ago when it hosted an Olympics. Hell, it's not even a national class city anymore, forget the world, lol.

The state of Missouri is way better than the city of St. Louis. Missouri is consistently ranked near the top of best state parks lists. I think they were 3rd or 4th last year. Missouri has the longest rails to trails bike path in the country, the Katy Trail. It has the second most caves of any state. It has one of the only known natural shut-ins in the world. It has the beautiful ozarks, with numerous large lakes. The two largest rivers in North America flow through the state. The cost of living is among the lowest in the nation. Crime is low outside of the urban cores. It's a great state for the outdoorsman/sportsman and for raising a family.

St. Louis is known as being a huge baseball town. Well you could eliminate the Cardinals from the picture and people in Missouri could still easily get their baseball fix. You've got the Rascals and Grizzlies in the suburbs, Mizzou, Lindenwood, Missouri State and countless other colleges, the AA affiliate of the Cardinals in Springfield, oh and last but not least, the last pro team in MO to win a World Series title, the Royals in KC. Speaking of KC, other than the Arch and the Blues/NHL, there's nothing you can do in StL that you can't do in KC. Yet in KC you can still catch an NFL or MLS game, two things StL lost recently.

The western part of Missouri is killing the eastern. The east has StL and Cape. The west has KC, Springfield, St. Joseph, Branson, the Ozarks, Whiteman AFB and the state fair in Sedalia. Damn writing this reply I think I just sold myself on why I need to move to the western part of the state. StL has too many bruises and cuts to ever get fully restored to the glory days. It's a has-been city.

OP, I'm a St. Louis native and I've come to hate the city of StL, so that should answer your question. Even the beloved Cardinals are starting to annoy me as I get older. It's as if people only care about them and just ignore the real problems in StL, like crime, the city/county divide, decrepit infrastructure etc. Whatever, I'm over it. I quit caring long ago since nobody else cares. Missouri is a great state though in general, especially for my interests. I quite fancy it.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:56 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,799,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There does seem to be a dislike for Miami in South Florida. Many people from Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach, and the Florida Keys view Miami very negatively (Key Largo can still be considered a suburb of Miami).
In South Florida, I think that it's fair to say that there are Miami people and non-Miami people. While the people in Ft. Lauderdale may scorn Miami, the same is true for Miamians toward Ft. Lauderdale. Personally, I'd just as soon leave Florida altogether than live in Ft. Lauderdale or, God forbid, West Palm Beach. Also, these places aren't really suburbs of Miami as much as they are additional centers of a multicore metro.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:57 AM

4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
Quote:
W

The most pretentious, arrogant, narcissistic people I've ever met are from Austin. It must be that chip on the shoulder they all carry from constantly getting slapped around by the likes of Dallas and Houston, the real world class cities in Texas. Does Austin even have a professional sports team? Hell even Las Vegas has an NHL team and OKC and San Antonio have an NBA teams. Talk about lackluster in Austin. For being such an artsy, hipster, liberal haven as it claims to be, you would think that Austin would at least have legal recreational cannabis..but nope. Must be a bunch of posers in Austin cause most of the other artsy, liberal havens have it. Seattle, Portland, Denver, Boston, SF, LA.

LOL, so much anger. I love it. To each their own I guess. I think legalization of marijuana is usually a state wide initiative, not city. I'm not sure though, as I don't smoke, though I have nothing against people that do.

Love how angry Austin makes people.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:50 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,236,441 times
Quote:
A lot of people move there and tie their entire identity to that city. If a city had a "cult of personality," Austin would be the poster child for it. I don't knock it for the lack of professional sports team... but I do knock it for the narcissism, arrogance, and the constant (and I mean constant) bashing of Dallas, Houston, {insert any city here}, etc. They portray those cities as "evil" and only Austin does everything right. It's a disgusting attitude. Many there don't even realize that Dallas and Houston are way more diverse than their so-called "open-minded" city with better public transit as well. Austin does have many nice qualities and Barton Springs is a gem.... but the collective "hipper, cooler, and holier than thou" attitude of its residents (mostly transplants) ruins the true laid back nature of what made Austin great to begin with.

FYI - Weed being illegal is a statewide thing. I know Dallas & Houston have cite & release and usually don't care (yes, I watched cops completely ignore it). I assume Austin is the same way. That's what happens when you have a state gerrymandered to death with low voter turnout.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:41 AM

106 posts, read 69,554 times
I would rank Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Newark would be the top 3. All have very very run down and bad areas. And not much to see and do there. Sports teams are just not enough. And the idea of a sports arena being a boom for the neighborhood that the stadium/arena is at is overblown. The boom that happened to the surrounding area of Washington DC with the Verizon Center opening is the exception not the norm.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:57 AM

4,347 posts, read 7,421,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Detroit. Suburbanites don't even acknowledge the city. If you ask someone from say, Farmington Hills or Sterling Heights or Livonia where they're from, they'll most likely say "Michigan". And if you ask, "Oh, where in Michigan?" they'll probably say "southeast Michigan". Then ask, "Detroit?" and they'll likely say, "well, outside of Detroit", as if their totally embarrassed to associate with the city.
Actually, I have found the opposite to be true. Whenever we are traveling and we meet someone from Michigan and ask where they're from, the standard response is: "Detroit. Well, actually Farmington Hills Novi, Royal Oak, etc., etc.". I mean, I live in SE Michigan and honestly, there is a lot of Motown pride in this entire region, believe it or not. People from out of state who don't know or understand Michiganders just assume that we're all ashamed of Detroit, but when you think of everything that Detroit has contributed to this country, how many famous people are from there, what a rich history it has, and now what a lot of momentum and exciting changes are going on, why would anyone be ashamed? Is Detroit the only city in the country with a ghetto? Is Detroit the only city in the country with crime? I realize that these things have been magnified here in the past, both honestly and not so honestly by the media, but Detroit is far from the only city with problems. Maybe we Michiganders are just more wiling to see that.

I guess it's that people here focus on all of the good that Detroit represents rather than the bad.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:02 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,971,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I would rank Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Newark would be the top 3. All have very very run down and bad areas. And not much to see and do there. Sports teams are just not enough. And the idea of a sports arena being a boom for the neighborhood that the stadium/arena is at is overblown. The boom that happened to the surrounding area of Washington DC with the Verizon Center opening is the exception not the norm.
You know that you just stepped into some, right? Categorically untrue for all three, especially Philadelphia.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:48 PM

500 posts, read 680,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Actually, I have found the opposite to be true. Whenever we are traveling and we meet someone from Michigan and ask where they're from, the standard response is: "Detroit. Well, actually Farmington Hills Novi, Royal Oak, etc., etc.". I mean, I live in SE Michigan and honestly, there is a lot of Motown pride in this entire region, believe it or not. People from out of state who don't know or understand Michiganders just assume that we're all ashamed of Detroit, but when you think of everything that Detroit has contributed to this country, how many famous people are from there, what a rich history it has, and now what a lot of momentum and exciting changes are going on, why would anyone be ashamed? Is Detroit the only city in the country with a ghetto? Is Detroit the only city in the country with crime? I realize that these things have been magnified here in the past, both honestly and not so honestly by the media, but Detroit is far from the only city with problems. Maybe we Michiganders are just more wiling to see that.

I guess it's that people here focus on all of the good that Detroit represents rather than the bad.
Agree, the city that put America on wheels and unforgettable Motown music. An immense legacy for any city, Iíve only been there once but will return.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:55 PM

17,237 posts, read 19,536,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I would rank Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Newark would be the top 3. All have very very run down and bad areas. And not much to see and do there.
Do you mean all of Philadelphia doesn't have much to see?

Wow, certainly news to me, especially since I went there for 4 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or