U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 03:40 PM

5,853 posts, read 6,521,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Wrong. I'm a native St. Louisan. Lived, worked, played, went to college in the city. Now I live in the outer burbs and I'm quite proud to tell people I'm from Missouri when they ask. However, I don't say I'm from St. Louis cause I'm not proud of that fact.

How could anyone possibly be proud of repping a city that a century ago was the 4th most populated in the country and today is 62nd or something? Cities like Omaha, Wichita, Tulsa, Lexington, hell even Honolulu have more residents than StL does today. What a joke. T
seriously? I imagine because metro St. Louis is a lot bigger than the metro areas of Omaha, Wichita, Tulsa, Lexington, etc.

Who cares about city population? It's metro population that counts. And St. Louis is still formidable.

So let me get this straight: San Francisco should be buried in shame, being not only the fourth largest city in California, but (gasp) the second largest city in its own Bay Area (to San Jose).

C'mon, do you really think St. Louis is in the same class as Omaha, Wichita, Tulsa, and Lexington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 04:20 PM

5,405 posts, read 2,813,304 times
Greater Seattle.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:57 PM

542 posts, read 311,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
LOL, so much anger. I love it. ......

Love how angry Austin makes people.
Doesn't make me angry, since I'm not there.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:51 PM

2,545 posts, read 1,633,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I would rank Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Newark would be the top 3. All have very very run down and bad areas. And not much to see and do there. Sports teams are just not enough. And the idea of a sports arena being a boom for the neighborhood that the stadium/arena is at is overblown. The boom that happened to the surrounding area of Washington DC with the Verizon Center opening is the exception not the norm.
So clueless. Has you ever actually visit Philadelphia ?

Philadelphia is a world class city with tons of attractions and beautiful historic neighborhoods

Old 07-11-2017, 09:28 PM

626 posts, read 574,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Actually, I have found the opposite to be true. Whenever we are traveling and we meet someone from Michigan and ask where they're from, the standard response is: "Detroit. Well, actually Farmington Hills Novi, Royal Oak, etc., etc.". I mean, I live in SE Michigan and honestly, there is a lot of Motown pride in this entire region, believe it or not. People from out of state who don't know or understand Michiganders just assume that we're all ashamed of Detroit, but when you think of everything that Detroit has contributed to this country, how many famous people are from there, what a rich history it has, and now what a lot of momentum and exciting changes are going on, why would anyone be ashamed? Is Detroit the only city in the country with a ghetto? Is Detroit the only city in the country with crime? I realize that these things have been magnified here in the past, both honestly and not so honestly by the media, but Detroit is far from the only city with problems. Maybe we Michiganders are just more wiling to see that.

I guess it's that people here focus on all of the good that Detroit represents rather than the bad.
In my experience they'd admit they're from Detroit and then apologise afterwards or make some sort of self depreciating joke.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:50 AM

3,655 posts, read 4,597,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Actually, I have found the opposite to be true. Whenever we are traveling and we meet someone from Michigan and ask where they're from, the standard response is: "Detroit. Well, actually Farmington Hills Novi, Royal Oak, etc., etc.". I mean, I live in SE Michigan and honestly, there is a lot of Motown pride in this entire region, believe it or not. People from out of state who don't know or understand Michiganders just assume that we're all ashamed of Detroit, but when you think of everything that Detroit has contributed to this country, how many famous people are from there, what a rich history it has, and now what a lot of momentum and exciting changes are going on, why would anyone be ashamed? Is Detroit the only city in the country with a ghetto? Is Detroit the only city in the country with crime? I realize that these things have been magnified here in the past, both honestly and not so honestly by the media, but Detroit is far from the only city with problems. Maybe we Michiganders are just more wiling to see that.

I guess it's that people here focus on all of the good that Detroit represents rather than the bad.
Agreed. Suburban hate for Detroit isn't as bad as most on this thread think it is. Most of the people who are "ashamed" to claim Detroit are some baby boomers or closet racist, and thankfully many of those people either now live in the exurbs or moved out of the area in the past 10 years (around the same time the region as a whole got more diversified). Although everybody knows the city has alot of problems most people appreciate what a great city and metro area Detroit is and take pride in it, especially the younger generations. Within the past few years there have actually been alot more suburban Detroit boosters and defenders. Even the local media has done a much better job of defending Detroit and shedding more positivity on the city.

The real hate for Detroit is now in alot of rural areas of Michigan where alot of republicans are, and we all know how republicans feel about Detroit.

Quote:
In my experience they'd admit they're from Detroit and then apologise afterwards or make some sort of self depreciating joke.
Huh? I never met anyone that apologized for being from Detroit, or any city honestly.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:58 PM

7,737 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Quote:
I would rank Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Newark would be the top 3. All have very very run down and bad areas. And not much to see and do there. Sports teams are just not enough. And the idea of a sports arena being a boom for the neighborhood that the stadium/arena is at is overblown. The boom that happened to the surrounding area of Washington DC with the Verizon Center opening is the exception not the norm.
I see that someone hasn't explored Baltimore lately.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:03 PM

1,269 posts, read 1,031,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Very true of Baltimore. IN fact many people in Baltimore County stress they are from Baltimore County to distinguish themselves from Baltimore City, which is actually NOT part of the county. That is the only place in the nation where a city is surrounded by a county of the same name but isn't part of the county. People in the suburbs do they they're from the "Baltimore area" or "outside Baltimore". There are a lot of tensions between inner city Baltimore and the suburbs over crime, the city's sanctuary city status, the riots, and the use of state tax revenue and the funding of transportation projects.

Yes Detroit is another example!
Remember, the city has no road project proposals and never will. If it doesn't get any state transportation funds for transit, it will never get a dime of the very substantial transportation capital budget. I know that most people believe that roads and transportation are exactly the same thing, but I don't.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:40 PM

32 posts, read 18,969 times
Quote:
This why I hate coming onto the internet. There are actually people out there who think this stuff. I wanna smack these people upside the head.

If Philadelphia has nothing to do downtown, or around the city, then nowhere does.

Here's a list of 50 attractions in Philadelphia. It could easily be 100. But you won't read this anyway.

Top 50 Must-See Attractions In Philadelphia — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com

Old 07-14-2017, 05:42 PM

5,853 posts, read 6,521,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBorn View Post
This why I hate coming onto the internet. There are actually people out there who think this stuff. I wanna smack these people upside the head.

If Philadelphia has nothing to do downtown, or around the city, then nowhere does.

Here's a list of 50 attractions in Philadelphia. It could easily be 100. But you won't read this anyway.

Top 50 Must-See Attractions In Philadelphia — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com
for the record, do you think anyone in their right mind would have any doubt about the attractions that Philadelphia has to offer. You do realize that when people make the absurd type of statement that you were reacting to that that we get it: he obviously is a guy who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Is Philadelphia a great city? Unquestionably: YES!!! Not really up for debate.

And you think you've got problems? I've got a guy here on this thread who is convinced Chicago has gone down the tubes and the federal government is going to take it over.

Meanwhile, if I go downtown, to areas along the lakefront, all over the North Side and good parts of the South and West, I see cranes everywhere. It's a boom town.

Look, Upstate, the people who don't get it....well....just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or