Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:17 AM

12 posts, read 10,313 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate from central Pennsylvania in the next few months and am searching for an area that can offer the following:

1. Urban environment - I like a skyline and walkable areas/neighborhoods with restaurants, bars, etc.
2. Young and Active - I'm in my mid 20s and like to be outdoors and active. Prefer to be in an area that caters to an active lifestyle and has young professionals
3. Affordable - I don't want to live in a crazy expensive area. My apartment budget will be in the 1200/mo range
4. Laid back - Not looking for a "rat race" type city
5. HATE cold weather and snow. Looking for a warm(er) climate and would ideally like access to beaches (30 minutes or so)

Looking forward to the suggestions - Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 09:31 AM

138 posts, read 151,159 times
I would say Raleigh or Atlanta. A lot of young professionals have flocked there for the good jobs and low COL. You could probably get a nice, not luxurious, one bedroom in either with your budget. You're a couple hours drive from the ocean and the Smoky Mountains. The Smokies aren't on the same level as the Rockies, though, and I would recommend Denver (would probably have to do a studio) or Salt Lake City to you if you were okay with cold weather. I wouldn't rule out places just because they get cold in winter if it meant your quality of life would be better the rest of the year. Your budget will make it difficult to be 30 minutes from the ocean. You cannot afford thriving coastal cities like NY, LA, SF, Seattle, Portland, and even Miami. You could live in the middle of nowhere by the coast, but then your access to good jobs would be severely impacted. Maybe check out Tampa. Living in Florida brings its share of issues, but apparently a lot of people love it.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:34 AM

138 posts, read 151,159 times
Actually, you could maybe swing a studio in downtown Portland. I have heard Portland has its issues, though, in terms of the number and pay of available jobs not really supporting the cost of living. Oh well, no place is perfect. The outdoor recreation in the Pacific NW is world class.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:16 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfze55 View Post
I would say Raleigh or Atlanta. A lot of young professionals have flocked there for the good jobs and low COL. You could probably get a nice, not luxurious, one bedroom in either with your budget. You're a couple hours drive from the ocean and the Smoky Mountains. The Smokies aren't on the same level as the Rockies, though, and I would recommend Denver (would probably have to do a studio) or Salt Lake City to you if you were okay with cold weather. I wouldn't rule out places just because they get cold in winter if it meant your quality of life would be better the rest of the year. Your budget will make it difficult to be 30 minutes from the ocean. You cannot afford thriving coastal cities like NY, LA, SF, Seattle, Portland, and even Miami. You could live in the middle of nowhere by the coast, but then your access to good jobs would be severely impacted. Maybe check out Tampa. Living in Florida brings its share of issues, but apparently a lot of people love it.
I was going to suggest a growing place like Raleigh as well. The OP won't find affordable and within a 30 minute drive of the beach. Most places with warm weather and those attributes are pretty expensive. And many cities in the South are growing rapidly these days.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:37 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
I think Baltimore ticks all the box. It is probably the most affordable big city in the Northeast.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:45 AM

Appreciate the thoughts. Maybe I should expand on a few points.

It's not so much that I can only afford what I stated above, but rather I am looking for an area with a lower COL. I checked out San Diego and liked the vibe but could not bring myself to accept the high COL (taxes, property, etc.). I'll be looking to purchase property (up to mid-200s) after I settle into a new area and get a sense of the neighborhood(s) I like best. I have a degree and career in finance/accounting so finding a job somewhere should not be overly difficult.

I'd be open to water access in general as I like to be near the water for outdoors activities, whether that be the sand and ocean or lakes/rivers for kayaking and boating.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:51 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,472 times
You're probably going to have to give up one of your requirements. Near a beach, warm, affordable(rent under $1200), walkable, nice skyline, active is a tough combination to find. If you could give up having a nice skyline (if I were you this would be my least important) Charleston fits the bill perfectly.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:13 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
I was thinking ATL til I got to the very last phrase (30 min to beaches).

St Petersburg may work...I don't know it super well. Maybe Tampa though with traffic that pushes you a bit over 30 minutes from the beach. Jax is a very affordable coastal city with walkable neighborhoods within 30 min of the beach but it's several steps down in vibrancy from the aforementioned cities, and way down from the top tier.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I was thinking ATL til I got to the very last phrase (30 min to beaches).

St Petersburg may work...I don't know it super well. Maybe Tampa though with traffic that pushes you a bit over 30 minutes from the beach. Jax is a very affordable coastal city with walkable neighborhoods within 30 min of the beach but it's several steps down in vibrancy from the aforementioned cities, and way down from the top tier.
Jax and Downtown St Pete are both places that I've been looking into. They seem to fit the bill, and the no state income tax aspect of living in Florida is appealing. Do you have an idea of some of the similarities/differences of the two?

Old 07-09-2017, 04:09 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphboogie View Post
Jax and Downtown St Pete are both places that I've been looking into. They seem to fit the bill, and the no state income tax aspect of living in Florida is appealing. Do you have an idea of some of the similarities/differences of the two?
I am not as familiar with the COL in Jax but $1200 for an apartment in a decent area of St. Pete might be tought to find. I'm not sure Tampa and St. Pete have much to brag about for skylines, but as others have noted that should probably not be a make or break thing. I would also consider Tallahassee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.