U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:10 AM

188 posts, read 107,775 times

Advertisements

I agree. I made a big move from Florida to Minnesota, and that wasn't a problem because I got a job at the Mayo Clinic: an organization that routinely hires from around the country and even around the world. However, when I applied for a job in Minneapolis (a whole 1.5 hours away) the hiring managers kept harping on do i have a new place in town yet, when will i move, and told me Minneapolis is SO much more expensive that what I'm used to (I ended up paying $300 more in rent, not that big of a deal!). I felt like screaming: "LOOK AT MY RESUME: I MOVED 1600 MILES FOR MY LAST JOB, I CAN HANDLE MOVING 85 MILES FOR THIS JOB!"

I am currently trying to move across the country again (to either Saratoga, NY or Arizona) and am having no luck. I wonder if it's because these small-minded hiring managers have never left their hometowns in their lives are threatened by people like us who can move around. It shows great qualities: flexibility, the ability to adapt, bringing a broader viewpoint than you could get from some local yokel, but managers are human and can't shake their own biases I suppose. smh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 03:13 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,982,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post

Yep. Desperation can be one of the greatest motivators. I'd be plenty impressed by a job candidate going all out like that for an interview. It shows they're willing to go the extra mile to get something done. What would these hiring managers prefer instead? Someone who's capable of going the extra mile but doesn't demonstrate it, lest they be accused of looking desperate? smh.
Absolutely, and I think desperation is the wrong word. Motivated or acting with conviction is more appropriate. If someone flew themselves, on their dime, to talk to me about work, you have my attention.

For me, I'm in software sales, so the places I want to relocate to are full of guys like me. I'm very good, but there's a lot of great sales guys on the west coast.

Hiring managers/recruiters can be the most inconsiderate people.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:05 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,142,356 times
Though getting a job before moving is incredibly wise, it doesn't guarantee that you will like your new location. Been there, done that. I just wanted to throw out the tip of making sure - crystal clear - your new location is what you truly want and that it will work. I sometimes see, including on this forum, a box-checking mentality. Check that box of getting the job and everything's going to go smoothly; maybe not looking enough further than that.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:06 PM

526 posts, read 462,475 times
I see/hear of this regularly in florida. Everyone and their sister says they will move here but only a small percentage will follow through. As a result very often postings will explicitly state local candidates only.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:34 PM

55 posts, read 36,008 times
Hiring managers that feel people are desperate are arrogant and are limited in their thinking.... If you want to move to a new city lining a job up first makes perfect sense.

Using a friends address or making up an address after doing extensive research on the apartment complex addresses there........ and not just putting any old address is another option.

You may have to spend more money than initially expected because of the travel to the interview and maybe a hotel stay but if you get the job then it was worth it.

I moved to a mid-sized boring city in the Midwest from the east coast that was less expensive than the city my family lives in a Suburb of Chicago.
(Did not want to live or work in Chicago for several reasons)

I made up an address in the mid-sized city to put on my resume and rode the megabus back and forth for my interviews.
This worked and I got a job and lived there for almost 3 years. Now I am ready to move to a more exciting city back east and enroll in school/work since I have paid off my debt.

Last edited by sunlady16; 10-06-2017 at 04:54 PM..

Old 10-06-2017, 04:38 PM

55 posts, read 36,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
I see/hear of this regularly in florida. Everyone and their sister says they will move here but only a small percentage will follow through. As a result very often postings will explicitly state local candidates only.

Wow that is interesting..... People who do that make a bad name for people who are serious about moving for a job
I would move in a heartbeat if offered a job. As long as I can get out of my apartment lease.

I guess you would need to be flexible and be willing to pay double rent or sublease your apartment.... if necessary which is hard....But if you want to move then you will do that....

Old 10-06-2017, 05:07 PM

8,998 posts, read 4,111,791 times
This is exactly why I am still living in Oklahoma City despite being miserable here and feeling as if my life is wasting away. Employers will usually only consider local candidates and I can't afford to move without a job lined up first due to a massive car payment. It sucks and by that I mean it really sucks, but there really isn't anything I can do about it.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:26 PM

787 posts, read 369,921 times
My husband started looking for a job outside of California in May of 2016. We knew we wanted out of California, but to move our family he had to have a solid job offer first. There was no moving first and then trying to find a job, that's too risky. He is a Network Administrator and he applied to jobs in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado.

He started getting a few phone interviews and since we hadn't been to the places he was getting phone interviews for, we decided to take a road trip to these states and areas of interest. Before we left on our road trip he emailed a few of the jobs to let them know he would be in the area for an in-person interview if they were interested.

He got an offer for an interview in Powell, Wyoming so we made plans to cut through Yellowstone so he could make that. While on the road to Boise, Idaho he got another call for an interview in Jackson, Wyoming so we back-tracked and in two days he did both Wyoming interviews. He also did a phone interview for Cheyenne, Wyoming on our trip home using the McDonald's Wi-Fi.

At the interviews they asked why he wanted to move, if we had family nearby, could we afford to find housing (in the Jackson job specifically). Hubby was straightforward about our desire to move out of California, and how he would secure housing even if it meant living in a trailer in the snow for weeks until we found a house. He said if he was offered the job, he would stand by his word and show up.

No other states offered to see him in person, Montana wanted nothing to do with our California butts, but Wyoming offered him two jobs one in Powell, and one in Jackson. He took the Jackson job and started in September of last year. We sold our house in California, bought a house in Star Valley and we've been living our Wyoming dream ever since.

Yes, Jackson took a chance on us. Here we were coming from California with no family, friends, or any experience with the harsh winters, but we were determined and it has paid off greatly for my husband's employer and for us as well.

More companies need to give out of state candidates a shot. At least an interview to get a feel for how serious they are. Do not write people off just because they are coming from far away. If the desire is there, they will make it happen. And yes maybe they will change their minds and decide it wasn't for them, but people leave jobs all the time anyway. Forget the what if's give people a chance.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:04 PM

4,432 posts, read 2,611,082 times
Sun lady, if you 're moving anyway, and there is a lot of jobs in your field as you state, you could move, then find a job.

I have 3 times moved to a different state for job opportunities, but found the jobs after I moved, so I was local when I applied. It was similar situations, jobs existed in the new state/city, so I had multiple job offers in one case, and a few in the other.

I agree people prefer to hire local, unless it is a skill set needed or they can't fill with the area. They often want someone who can start...yesterday.

So if you are going to move then just do it. If you cant afford it, and they aren't looking to hire outside help, you may have to wait til you can afford it.

Moving can be done shoe string, sell stuff, put it in storage, take only what you really need to get started and just go. I did the first time with only a couple hundred dollars and rented a room to start looking for jobs. Gitvhired the next day, because I was local.i had multiple job offers, and could pick the one best suited me.oh, and I'm nothing special, except a reliable responsible employee.
Even when I moved "back home ", I found it easy to get a job once on the ground running.

But my tales may be different from yours.

Best of luck in your new adventure.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:41 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
I have not had this problem.

Five years ago, I had been working in a call center for two years immediately after college. I was making just over $15/hr, and driving fifty miles each way to get that, in rural southwest Virginia. I wanted out. Badly.

I was an economics guy in college, and started looking at areas with reasonable costs of living, decently high wages, and low unemployment rates. I ended up choosing the upper Midwest - mostly IA, MN, NE, etc. I interviewed for and got a computer support position in Iowa. I had never been to Iowa before. I ultimately moved back to Tennessee in a year and have not been back to Iowa, and I doubt I'll ever be back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.