U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 04:13 PM

7 posts, read 4,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Honestly, I'd recommend Abilene, Texas. Nice small city with friendly people
Abilene does sound lovely indeed but even though we work from home, we really need to be closer to a larger city. Should the situation come up, a two hour drive a few times a week is something we don't want to consider after having commuted around the L.A. area for much too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 04:19 PM

37,090 posts, read 45,594,679 times
Savannah, GA. Very pet friendly and always something to do. You can get shot by a gang member if you like to be walking around after midnight.

A bit less to do, but still charming and pet friendly, Southern Pines, NC.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:26 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,379,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth1039 View Post
Abilene does sound lovely indeed but even though we work from home, we really need to be closer to a larger city. Should the situation come up, a two hour drive a few times a week is something we don't want to consider after having commuted around the L.A. area for much too long.
Yea it would be a lot of gas and time if you plan to travel there more than once a week or even once a week. What is it you're looking for exactly regarding being close to a larger city? In Abilene you can find pretty much the same essentials you can find in a big city, but you won't have the extras like as many museums or fine dining options. The biggest drawback IMHO is the lack of a major airport. You have to schlep on to DFW or Lovefield. If that's very important to you then I understand how it'd be a deal breaker. I'd also recommend Weatherford, Texas. Its got a bit of that small town charm without being too small. Its a suburb of Fort Worth, only 30 minutes southwest.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Savannah, GA. Very pet friendly and always something to do. You can get shot by a gang member if you like to be walking around after midnight.

A bit less to do, but still charming and pet friendly, Southern Pines, NC.
I don't relish the thought of having to worry about being shot after midnight, so I will pass - I did look a bit at Southern Pines and it looks like a really charming place. The drive to Raleigh might be doable so I did place that on our list Thank you.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:05 PM

23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
You might consider Oxford, MS.

- University town (Ole Miss)
- Charming commercial district/courthouse square; one of the best bookstores in the US is there (Square Books)
- Lovely neighborhoods
- Mild but seasonal climate
- Memphis, TN is 70 miles away

Visit Oxford MS

Old 07-21-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yea it would be a lot of gas and time if you plan to travel there more than once a week or even once a week. What is it you're looking for exactly regarding being close to a larger city? In Abilene you can find pretty much the same essentials you can find in a big city, but you won't have the extras like as many museums or fine dining options. The biggest drawback IMHO is the lack of a major airport. You have to schlep on to DFW or Lovefield. If that's very important to you then I understand how it'd be a deal breaker. I'd also recommend Weatherford, Texas. Its got a bit of that small town charm without being too small. Its a suburb of Fort Worth, only 30 minutes southwest.

We may have to end up flying to L.A. from time to time, so having an airport within about an hour is really necessary for us, if at all possible. The more I research it seems one of the most suitable locations may be a lovely small town in Texas. Weatherford is in a really good location, considering that we could drive to Dallas in about an hour, if need be. Someone mentioned McKinney and other small towns north of Dallas, so this weekend, I will be checking housing prices, amenities and more in some areas of Texas and also in North Carolina. It appears that one might even find a single story house in Texas. That seems almost impossible to find in many areas and it is a plus for us.

I have a friend in NC so am somewhat familiar with the weather there but need to see what the different areas of Texas are like. As an aside, I would love living in a town/city with a nice downtown area with shops to visit as I walk along. I had that while growing up in PA and really miss that.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:02 AM

3,506 posts, read 3,957,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth1039 View Post
My husband and I both do professional work from our home and are in our 60's. We have no children. We want to move away from Southern California for many reasons and have made a list of what we would like to find in a new city. This is our list:

Not too far from a larger city of 400,000 (an hour drive is fine)
Friendly people
Altitude under 2,000 feet (medical reason)
Many restaurants nearby, especially Mom and Pop types
Good medical care (in larger city nearby is fine)
Somewhat temperate weather - reasonable snow is fine; we loved living near Moscow, PA but health-wise the extreme snow and cold was too much.
Low crime
Conservative area with moral values
Fine arts, plays, entertainment - things to do like this

We are both friendly, helpful people. We love all animals and prefer to live a rural type life on close to 5 acres (as we do now) with our 3 horses, 2 goats, dogs and assorted other pets.

Many thanks for your suggestions.
I strongly encourage you to consider Lebanon, Ohio. Focusing only on the above criteria, this small town meets your requirements.

Not only is Lebanon a historic and charming city all its own, it's also part of Greater Cincinnati's 2.2-million MSA. Located northeast of Cincinnati, Lebanon combines with Mason, Blue Ash, Montgomery and Loveland to form the metro's most affluent concentration of outer ring suburbs. Lastly, for your purposes, Lebanon is well positioned between Cincinnati and Dayton. Although you may choose to live outside of Lebanon itself in one of the many surrounding wide open spaces or farmlands, you'll never be all that far from the expanding commerce taking place between the two much bigger cities, as they continue to merge.

With this in mind, to pique your interest in Lebanon, Mason and Cincinnati, here are three sets of links. Needless to say, opening any one of them will avail you to an abundance of other closely related visuals...
__________________________________________________ ________________________________

LEBANON. Conservative, but no backwater bayou; a vibrant, friendly town that many tourists year-round /quaint restaurants/a bevy of antique stores; a picturesque place setting for several Hollywood films/Woody Harrelson spent much of his young life here while Neil Armstrong lived just outside town the last years of his own life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4qLDvYf-3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkXg5wrXx2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kHhkegb4Lg
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

MASON. The epicenter of Cincinnati's noveau riche; the metro's most sought after new suburb; home of Kings Island, the largest amusement and water park in the Midwest; world class tennis tournaments; dining options galore; medical and health facilities of all kinds. Adjoins Lebanon to the immediate south.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jSKkvWX7CM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JSC4irGp-U
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

CINCINNATI. Often described as America's most beautiful inland city; one of nation's most corporate and cultured Midwestern cities; a tremendous wealth of assets for a midsized metro. Its downtown is no more than a 35-40 minute drive from Lebanon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9hXXBrvkWg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or