Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 11:46 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Oh Connecticut sorry ha
Ah, thanks. Connecticut can certainly be expensive, so the COL may not shock you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 11:49 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not true at all, most the state is uninhabited as the population is concentrated in certain areas. CA has a lot more empty, wilderness spaces than most states back east. Just look at a population density map.
I was talking about the cities where people actually live; it is nice to have empty areas in the countryside, but that doesn't really impact the daily lives of the majority of people and every state outside a few on the East Coast can make the same claim. I should have been clearer, my apologies.

RunD, you will encounter that sort of behavior anywhere. Generally, as I said, nearly every state has empty countryside and traffic is worse in Southern California than most other cities. If I were you, I'd base my pick largely on sunshine, which you seem to want, and health. If the beach doesn't matter to you, Denver is a good choice.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:12 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
That's not exclusive to Florida. Places in the southwest US(e.g. AZ, NV etc) get more sunshine than Florida and have a more similar climate (dry heat vs humid) to California. Not to mention the landscape is a lot more similar. Florida is the flattest state in the US while southwestern states have true mountain ranges, deserts and so on. Florida you also have to deal with hurricanes which are only going to get worse with climate change. Let's not also forget a lot of the coastal cities in Florida probably won't be around too much longer with rising ocean levels but that is a whole other discussion lol.
Yeah, I know all that because I've lived in the west for 30 years. But that wasn't what you posted. You said you did not see any similarity between CA and FL other than having seacoast.

Lots of sunshine is a major similarity between those two states. It doesn't mean no other states have lots of sun.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:24 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Love the South Atlantic Coast States. People down South have always found to be friendly and welcoming. Guess only concern is area's in South have a strong Conservative and Christian influence with culture. Not a fan of liberal and Nanny States; usually higher taxes go along with that.

The heat is different from the heat in the South. Less humid and more dry/arid wife & I enjoy that. There is little snow to no snow. Wife and I have 2 favorite seasons summer & fall ha. If we can escape snow be awesome ha.

Feel California is very hilly, which we enjoy as well.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:07 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Yeah, I know all that because I've lived in the west for 30 years. But that wasn't what you posted. You said you did not see any similarity between CA and FL other than having seacoast.

Lots of sunshine is a major similarity between those two states. It doesn't mean no other states have lots of sun.
Fair enough

Old 07-12-2017, 03:31 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
One state, far more than any other, stands out as being fully capable of being a nation, a successful nation, on its own: CALIFORNIA!

Old 07-12-2017, 08:02 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would say Colorado is probably the next closest, as witnessed by the number of CA transplants.
First of all, the data probably shows that CO isn't the top relocation destination from those from CA. Secondly, as others have pointed out, the dry non-coastal setup of CO makes it very different from CA. Thirdly, not only is most of the culture in CO very different from CA, but there is also a heavy antagonism towards outsiders/transplants, especially from CA. There's no way the state (CO) is going to change towards being more like CA (other than costs skyrocketing, which seems inevitable and easy to do). The state guards itself fiercely. There is almost an unspoken rule among CO natives, that Californians (and people from most other states) leave their former state's culture and ideas behind at the state line.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:51 PM

405 posts, read 476,111 times
Quote:
Love the South Atlantic Coast States. People down South have always found to be friendly and welcoming. Guess only concern is area's in South have a strong Conservative and Christian influence with culture. Not a fan of liberal and Nanny States; usually higher taxes go along with that.

The heat is different from the heat in the South. Less humid and more dry/arid wife & I enjoy that. There is little snow to no snow. Wife and I have 2 favorite seasons summer & fall ha. If we can escape snow be awesome ha.

Feel California is very hilly, which we enjoy as well.
Why not Arizona?

Pretty moderate politically, not humid at all, if you are living in the Phoenix area there is virtually never snow, and has some very rich areas if you are into that (Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, etc.)

Arizona in general has pretty low taxes, and if you are looking for hills and mountains they have that too.
California is only a few hour drive so if you are looking for your fix it's the state over.

I'd say Georgia too. Hilly, has a very underrated coastline, basically no snow, Atlanta, and in the center of the Deep South.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:46 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
So much for Californians invading Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Greater Phoenix and Greater Las Vegas are poor man's Inland Empire's/north OC, with comparable weather outside of summer
Quote:
It's amazing. Must be laws out here can't believe how many people are crammed into such am all areas, but it leaves room for a lot of open wilderness. You have access to many trails that can get you lost away from the urban jungle.

Also this amazes me in California. People are smiling. They say hello, they hold doors open, they are polite, and so on. It's been a cultural shock out here. They are not reserved I kind of enjoy that.
IMO, Texas is a poor man's California. They've got pretty much everything California has: mountains, beaches, deserts, big cities, friendly people (somewhat friendlier btw), etc. but not as good as California's and at a fraction of its cost of living. Culture is also a bit different but probably more similar than, say, compared to the Northeast.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:13 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
IMO, Texas is a poor man's California. They've got pretty much everything California has: mountains, beaches, deserts, big cities, friendly people (somewhat friendlier btw), etc. but not as good as California's and at a fraction of its cost of living. Culture is also a bit different but probably more similar than, say, compared to the Northeast.
The deserts and mountains are nowhere near the only 3 cities in TX that compare to CA though (Dallas, Houston, Austin), those 3 are more similar geographically to Louisiana or Oklahoma than to anything west of the Continental Divide. El Paso doesn't compare city wise or QOL wise either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.