U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:27 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,432,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
All in all, I don't think there's any other state quite like California. Culturally and economically, it just feels different, and functions differently, than the rest of the United States.
It's really a country within a country. Technically that's every state but much more so in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 01:02 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,219,560 times
Unfortunately, no. Great state. Not for me to live, but they've come a long way since the 80s.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:30 PM

284 posts, read 165,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Oh Connecticut sorry ha
I was gonna guess upstate NY, I was close! Not much different than Ct

Old 08-30-2017, 05:18 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,276,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
If you're looking for an alternative that has nice natural environment, nice weather and low COL, I suggest Florida.
How is Florida comparable to California? Because it has beaches? Beaches can be found almost anywhere. California is unique because it is one of the few places you can snow ski and water ski all in the same day. Beyond the Rocky Mountain states (Arizona, Colorado, maybe Nevada) where else is that possible?

Old 09-05-2017, 10:54 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,992 posts, read 3,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
How is Florida comparable to California? Because it has beaches? Beaches can be found almost anywhere. California is unique because it is one of the few places you can snow ski and water ski all in the same day. Beyond the Rocky Mountain states (Arizona, Colorado, maybe Nevada) where else is that possible?
The most overrated thing about California, who actually does this all in the same day? The Florida beaches are prettier than California beaches IMO. With that said due to its size, California does provide almost everything that one would need, but Eastern states are much closer together with just as much and really even more to do.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:02 PM

459 posts, read 342,556 times
Maybe.....North Carolina.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:03 PM

10,070 posts, read 4,681,956 times
no one brings up hawaii or puerto rico (if you speak spanish already from S California...)

lots of open space, it's all water so get a boat instead of a car

Old 09-06-2017, 01:33 PM

5,442 posts, read 8,161,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Greater Phoenix and Greater Las Vegas are poor man's Inland Empire's/north OC, with comparable weather outside of summer
The Inland Empire is the poor man's Las Vegas/Phoenix though

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
One state, far more than any other, stands out as being fully capable of being a nation, a successful nation, on its own: CALIFORNIA!
Literally any state is capable of being it's own nation though. Not as successful as CA, of course. But Texas could make a case as well (Considering it's been it's own Country before).

Old 09-06-2017, 03:51 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,652,932 times
There is no state comparable to California.

I like this.

Because I don't like California, and I would never want to live in something like California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The Inland Empire is the poor man's Las Vegas/Phoenix though
I see a lot of comparisons for the IE and Phoenix/Vegas. Vegas and Phoenix, in their few differences, Vegas is much more similar to California by a country mile. Someone earlier in the thread said 20% of Californians relocate to Nevada. That doesn't surprise me. That's all the transplants Nevada gets for the most part. In comparison, Arizona gets more transplants from the Midwest and Northeast that balance out the California transplants. Arizona by default, is more different than Southern California. This is because Phoenix has a better economy and we don't care about which is closer to Los Angeles (Las Vegas is, by 2 hours). Inland Empire is still much worse than Vegas and Phoenix combined.

-------

One cannot ski and surf in the same day if you can barely afford your rent.

One cannot ski and surf in the same day if your commute is 2 hours each way.

One cannot ski and surf in the same day if you don't have the means of getting there.

-------

Coastal California is for the wealthy, and only the wealthy. If you are not the wealthy, then even Inland California (like the IE) will be expensive and not worth it.

-------

Here in Phoenix I have:
- 2 hour drive to skiing in Flagstaff
- 1.5 hour drive to two national parks (Saguaro National Parks)
- Numerous amounts of public land near the 5 million metro, some of which are just open flatlands perfect for camping or target practice, many of which are canyons and mountains
- 4 hour drive to the beach (Rocky Point, Mexico)
- 2.5 hour drive to Mexico border
- 3.5 hour drive to Grand Canyon
- 5 hour drive to Monument Valley (and the numerous amounts of canyons that are on the Navajo Nation)
- 4 hour drive to Vegas
- 3.5 hour drive to Lake Powell and Havasu
- 6 hour drive to San Diego and Los Angeles (add an hour to get to the beach)

In Vegas (time estimates):
- 1.5-2 hour drive to Death Valley
- 1 hour to Lake Mead
- 1 hour to skiing at Mount Charleston
- 4 hour drive to Los Angeles
- 4 hour drive to Phoenix
- 5 hour drive to the beach in Los Angeles
- 6 hour drive to San Diego
- 2-3 hour drive to Grand Canyon (south side)
- Numerous amounts of public land in the desert for hiking, target practice, and camping
- 4 hour drive to Reno (?)
- 5 hour drive to Lake Tahoe

With Californian traffic, assuming same location of these two cities and just adding congestion, commuting time will nearly double to these areas. It's not worth it when I'd rather spend less time in the car and afford my rent much easier.

Vegas and Phoenix are considered to be some of the most nature-friendly cities in the US given their proximity to many natural monuments and public lands. Los Angeles? Not as much.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:47 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,441,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The most overrated thing about California, who actually does this all in the same day? The Florida beaches are prettier than California beaches IMO. With that said due to its size, California does provide almost everything that one would need, but Eastern states are much closer together with just as much and really even more to do.
Nobody, I think I've seen one person do that in my entire life and it was surfing and skiing, nobody is water skiing in winter. Though this past year is one of the few years people could ski and water ski in the same day because several ski resorts stayed open until July 4th or a little later, but that's rare. I think it's just said to show the variety of leisure activities available in a relatively short distance but yeah no one really does that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or