U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 05:27 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,211,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
The cost of travelling is not something I considered. I forgot the dollar is weaker to Europe and some other countries. I live in UK, however I have no desire to visit other European countries like Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece etc, but I do have a desire to visit (maybe potentially live) the USA, especially the American West, some of the Midwest/South US, Hawaii and maybe even Alaska.

I also want to visit Southern Africa, parts of West Africa like Ghana, and also Japan too. Australia never appealed to me because of distance. Many Brits enjoy Southern Europe and Australia though, so I guess it's just personal preference.

Which other countries would you like to go to? Also, how much does a passport cost in US?
Airfare is probably the biggest cost prohibiter. Domestic flights are cheaper, and driving is even cheaper than that.

I'm willing to travel most places, but Ireland, England, and Italy are at the top of my list. I'm mostly Italian and English, then German, with a little Irish, so that factors in a bit. Germany is not as much of a draw for me. I love history, so part of me would like to visit a former concentration camp, but the other part of me is unsure if I really want to see it in person. There are other European places I'd visit, but they aren't a must for me.
Asian countries would be interesting to visit, but it isn't a priority.
Africa is intriguing, but ultimately, I can't see myself ever going.
Australia and New Zealand have always interested me, but they are so far away I'm not sure if I will get there.
I can't see myself going to South America, either.
Islands- Caribbean and Pacific are nice, but I'm not usually relax on the beach type when it comes to vacationing. It is nice for a day or two, but then I want to see something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 06:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,206,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Do many Americans go on vacations within the USA or do they tend to go abroad more often? In the US you guys have almost everything you could need, for e.g. beach vacations in Florida or Hawaii, or you got mountain adventure in places like Alaska or around the American West. Do many Americans stay in the US to vacation or go abroad to Europe/Africa etc?
Few Americans have either the time off work or the money to vacation outside the USA, with the exception of Caribbean or Mexican resorts (package prices, short plane rides), cruises originating at US ports (less than 7 days), or drives into Canada.

The average American only gets 10 paid vacation days a year, and nearly 1/4 get no paid vacation at all. There are few to no paid family leave days, and many sick days must be repaid by overtime or come from vacation days.

The size of the continental US alone would fit the entire Mediterranean Sea and adjacent countries within our borders. The ease and opportunities for foreign travel for Europeans greatly exceed those in the US.

Last edited by RocketSci; 07-13-2017 at 07:17 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 07:59 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,298,353 times
A topic that has come up in other threads....to generalize and summarize....

Of all the developed nations, Americans have the least amount of time off from work. This constraint tends to limit, if not inhibit, travel overseas. If you are going to visit countries in the Eastern Hemisphere, for example, you need a fair amount of time off to make it worthwhile. You don't want to go to another country, and almost immediately have to turn around and go home.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:06 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,277,494 times
Alot of it depends on where you're from. I live in DC and also lived in SF and NYC and most of my friends in those cities travel abroad frequently. My friends in Chicago are a mixed bag and Atlanta was less likely which all correlates with the maps below pretty well.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:23 AM

2,107 posts, read 770,217 times
Most Americans don't leave the region. They will travel extensively within the US or to Canada or to the Caribbean on a cruise but won't go to Asia or Europe. The general feeling is it's not worth the time or expense. We pretty much have every landscape and various cultures right here.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:59 AM

5,299 posts, read 3,517,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Alot of it depends on where you're from. I live in DC and also lived in SF and NYC and most of my friends in those cities travel abroad frequently. My friends in Chicago are a mixed bag and Atlanta was less likely which all correlates with the maps below pretty well.
Yes, because the City with the busiest Airport in the world would be "less likely" to travel abroad. You just can't help yourself, can you?

This makes no sense, and flies in the face of the reality on the ground here.

Quit making stuff up to further your anti-Atlanta agenda.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, because the City with the busiest Airport in the world would be "less likely" to travel abroad. You just can't help yourself, can you?

This makes no sense, and flies in the face of the reality on the ground here.

Quit making stuff up to further your anti-Atlanta agenda.
It's a huge transfer/connector airport and I specifically said my friends. It lags as a final destination or departure destination when compared to NYC etc... Get a clue and quit being so insecure. Look at the % of people that hold passports by state. If having the busiest airport in the world meant the most amount of travels, GA should be up near the top.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:28 AM

5,299 posts, read 3,517,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
It's a huge transfer/connector airport. It's lags as a final destination or departure destination when compared to NYC etc...
Yes, it's a huge hub - but our O&D numbers are very respectable, in the 30 to 34 million range. And EVERYPLACE lags behind New York, what a pathetic comeback.

Quote:
Get a clue and quit being so insecure.
You need to get a clue, and realize your paper-thin agenda is extremely obvious and will be challenged.

Quote:
Look at the % of people that hold passports by state. If having the busiest airport in the world mean't the most amount of travels, GA would be much higher.
LOL! Literally half of the state is very rural. I'm sure there aren't many globetrotters in Roanoke or Bristol either.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, it's a huge hub - but our O&D numbers are very respectable, in the 30 to 34 million range. And EVERYPLACE lags behind New York, what a pathetic comeback.

You need to get a clue, and realize your paper-thin agenda is extremely obvious and will be challenged.

LOL! Literally half of the state is very rural. I'm sure there aren't many globetrotters in Roanoke or Bristol either.
Ones blue and ones red though.. if you want to have a separate discussion instead of chiming in on every one of my comments create a separate VA vs GA or Atl vs DC thread and let's see how those go. I've always said I wasn't a fan of Atl and never denied it it. Be realistic..

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-14-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-14-2017, 10:14 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,388,331 times
It varies, but most people stick to the USA.

Personally I like to do two big overseas trips a year and then two or three domestic trips to the east/west coast or down to New Orleans or something.

This year was Panama, Spain and Italy and then going to Iceland next month. Domestically I'm doing New York, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston and a week driving around the mountains in Colorado and Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or