U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:55 AM

5,458 posts, read 2,849,269 times

Advertisements

Can't speak for other Americans, but I almost always travel within the US only. I prefer road trips to air travel unless distance is far. Also, I HATE airports, airplanes, and all the garbage required for using those. Flying itelf I enjoy. Not long security inspections, removing shoes, ferchrissake, being sardined in with smelly, noisy, overflowing passengers, being restricted to a tiny amount of carry-ons. When it became impossible to fly with camping gear, that was the beginning of the end. I let my passport expire and have no intention of renewing it.

We used to have one or two foreign bucket-list destinations but those, too, have been axed. Between the air travel restrictions and the very long flights, I no longer have any desire to go. My husband is slightly less averse to air travel, but he too has lost interest in foreign travel. We have beautiful, beautiful places to go that we can drive to carrying camping gear, recreational equipment, all in our own pod. Or by bicycle or foot, come to think of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 10:59 AM

6,800 posts, read 11,788,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Do many Americans go on vacations within the USA or do they tend to go abroad more often? In the US you guys have almost everything you could need, for e.g. beach vacations in Florida or Hawaii, or you got mountain adventure in places like Alaska or around the American West. Do many Americans stay in the US to vacation or go abroad to Europe/Africa etc?
Although I do enjoy overseas travel and have even lived overseas before, one of the perks of living in the US is that you can travel to so many different places without having to go through customs and passport controls. I guess the same is also true of residents of countries with large areas (China, Russia, Brazil, Australia, etc.) Even the Schengen area in the EU is nowhere near the size of the US or any of the aforementioned countries.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:01 AM

2,293 posts, read 1,300,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Just last weekend, we had a family reunion in Blaine,
When I was growing up, most of my family's trips were to see relatives. Which meant domestic travel.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 26 days ago)

10,511 posts, read 14,350,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's pretty hard not to argue for lack of interest given the advantages we possess.
I don't think that's entirely true. I would love to travel overseas, but things have never come together yet to make that possible. For me and probaly for a lot of other people with children the biggest issue is time. So many other obligations come first and time is so limited. Family reunions, grandparents who insist you drive hundreds of miles to bring the kids for a visit, long trips for scouting, youth sports, chaperoning school trips, it seems like it never ends. It's expensive too, so there never seems to be enough money and enough time to do anything else. Now that my kids are grown I have the time, now I just need to get the money, lol.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:35 PM

13 posts, read 5,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Although I do enjoy overseas travel and have even lived overseas before, one of the perks of living in the US is that you can travel to so many different places without having to go through customs and passport controls. I guess the same is also true of residents of countries with large areas (China, Russia, Brazil, Australia, etc.) Even the Schengen area in the EU is nowhere near the size of the US or any of the aforementioned countries.
Well, if you are a lover of picnics in the wild, then it's all right. And if you want to have an organized rest and get acquainted with different cultures, it's better to go for a "small" Europe than one "big" desert.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:16 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,832,441 times
If passports and sovereignty weren't such a big issue, I'm quite sure more of us would be open to international travel. And like other posters like myself that don't correspond well with the politics of passenger flight, the opening of more old school methods like ship travel would make it more of a reality.
Then of course there's the costs and the time off/get fired one has to risk in order to not make the trip seem so rushed.
At this point in my life, getting fired doesn't seem like such a big deal in order to take a long, exploratory trip overseas. I've been canned 3-4 times already, so it becomes less of nailbiter.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:56 PM

2,293 posts, read 1,300,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't think that's entirely true. I would love to travel overseas, but things have never come together yet to make that possible. For me and probaly for a lot of other people with children the biggest issue is time.
There was a thread about traveling overseas with small children. I got part way through the thread and thought-wouldn't it be simpler just to take the kids to Disneyland?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:26 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,111,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Do many Americans go on vacations within the USA or do they tend to go abroad more often? In the US you guys have almost everything you could need, for e.g. beach vacations in Florida or Hawaii, or you got mountain adventure in places like Alaska or around the American West. Do many Americans stay in the US to vacation or go abroad to Europe/Africa etc?
I've been to 42 countries but only 17 states (20 next month w/Arizona, California and Nevada). I'd say I'm the extreme outlier. I know of a few Americans whose life goal is to visit all 50 states, and they couldn't care less about international travel.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:03 AM

2,167 posts, read 1,468,998 times
I'd say broadly that most Americans do their typical vacations within the US, and take trips abroad every 4 or 5 years or so. Some will stay more local such as Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean, but quite a few like to travel to Europe and Asia as well. Cost and time are the big factors - for a family with kids it is a huge hassle to take a long trip, and can be very expensive. Also Americans tend to have less time off of work than Europeans.

For summer vacations in the US, many in the east will go to beaches along the mid-atlantic coast (these beaches stretch from outer banks of N. Carolina all the way up to Long Island), or to Cape Cod and Maine. The waters in the south Atlantic coast, Florida, and Gulf Coast are basically very warm and not at all refreshing in the summer-- people go there in the other seasons instead. A lot of people also like to take road trips throughout the central plains and southwest, Yellowstone and other Nat'l Parks, etc.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:10 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,209,611 times
Quote:
In 2016, a total of 66,960,943 U.S. citizens traveled outside the country, compared to the 61,783,913 who did the previous year. And just where were they going?

For the most part, these travelers didn’t stray too far from home; more than half of the year’s international travelers — 37,403,398 to be exact — stayed within the confines of North America, with Mexico proving to be the year’s most popular destination (25,181,630 trips in total), followed by Canada (which saw about half that traffic, with 12,221,768 visits). Europe was the third most popular destination, with 11,831,870 Americans headed to the region, followed by the Caribbean (6,579,691), and Asia (4,388,391).
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/01/rec...d-abroad-2016/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or