U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:03 AM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well then how about supporting a national law that forces every single stingy company and business in this country to give people a decent amount of vacation time that every other first world country enjoys? Then your fellow Americans that get a paltry one or two weeks off a year could enjoy what you have. You realize many or most companies don't allow you to save up three years worth of vacation time and use it for one big vacation. They have never allowed that. If you don't use your paltry one or two weeks, you lost them the next year.

I guess you wouldn't support a national law like that cause it goes against your Texas culture and hatred of the Fed Govt: "don't mess with Texas". The result is the lousy pathetic vacation time Americans get compared to every other first world nation on the planet. Y'all are happy with that I guess.
How 'bout letting private companies and private individuals work that out between themselves? For two decades now at least, my husband and I (both working for Texas companies) have had generous paid time off from our employers.

And I don't hate the federal government by the way. Just for the record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
You need like three or four weeks to enjoy a decent vacation abroad. But unlike other first world nations which have a national law forcing companies to give generous vacation time, we don't have that in this country and probably never will until we have a super majority in congress that supports generous vacation time. Don't hold your breath.
I've enjoyed many vacations abroad and didn't need three or four weeks. Once again, you're projecting your own unhappiness onto other people.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:08 AM

6,471 posts, read 4,066,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've enjoyed many vacations abroad and didn't need three or four weeks. Once again, you're projecting your own unhappiness onto other people.
I spent two weeks on vacation in Japan and it was the perfect length of time. A few years later, I went again for three weeks, and it was too long for me. I'm sure it depends on where you go, what you're doing and whom you're with, but the idea that three weeks is an absolute minimum for an international vacation is surely incorrect.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:08 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,459,725 times
Quote:
Many people are not savvy enough to realize that vacation time is very negotiable with HR, when they are negotiating salary. But then again, most people would anyway go for the bigger salary instead of more vacay, because that has a compounding effect over the years. and that is their own choice they shouldn't blame the system.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Many people are not savvy enough to realize that vacation time is very negotiable with HR when you are negotiating salary. But then again, most people woulld anyway go for the bigger salary instead of more vacay, because that has a compounding effect over the years.
Right.

I enjoyed three weeks of paid vacation, two weeks of PTO, and 10 paid holidays with the last two employers. I mean, that was after two years on the job and it wasn't entry level, but I never have minded earning perks.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:45 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,294,216 times
Quote:

I enjoyed three weeks of paid vacation
But even that seems minimal compared to other nationalities. And that brings up a limitation resulting from this limitation-you may have enough time to do some sight seeing, but your time to learned about another culture is short, and for practicing another language very short.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:34 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, and don't most Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border? IOW, more ease of travel to the US than most Americans have to Canada.

We had the experience in bold crossing the border into Canada from Montana. The guy walked around our car several times, looking at the license plates, etc before he ever even talked with us. This got DH's dander up a bit to say the least and when the guard asked where we were from DH said "US". The guy gave him a dirty look at which point DH said "Colorado". Finally he let us in, but made us throw out our apples. We were a family of four, with two little kids at the time 6 and 9 years old, and this was well before 9/11.
We came back into the US on that trip from British Columbia into Washington State on I-5. It was early evening on the 4th of July. The US border guard asked us how long we'd been in Canada and if we'd bought anything major while there. The answer was "no". He let us in with no further ado.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:41 PM

6,471 posts, read 4,066,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
We came back into the US on that trip from British Columbia into Washington State on I-5. It was early evening on the 4th of July. The US border guard asked us how long we'd been in Canada and if we'd bought anything major while there. The answer was "no". He let us in with no further ado.
I'm sure it largely depends on who you get and what mood they're in that day. When we crossed from BC into Washington, the guard became very friendly and chatty when he saw that we lived in the same county in California that he'd grown up in.

When we crossed back into Canada a few days later, the Canada border guard was pleasant but non-committal, and we passed through very quickly.

But some years ago (pre-9/11 and passport requirements), when we drove from Maine into New Brunswick, we were closely questioned and they even opened our car trunk to inspect it.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
But even that seems minimal compared to other nationalities. And that brings up a limitation resulting from this limitation-you may have enough time to do some sight seeing, but your time to learned about another culture is short, and for practicing another language very short.
Three weeks of paid vacation, two weeks of paid sick time, and 10 paid holidays.

I'm fine with that.

I don't expect my employer to pay for enough time off for me to learn another language or culture.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:23 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Well then how about supporting a national law that forces every single stingy company and business in this country to give people a decent amount of vacation time that every other first world country enjoys? Then your fellow Americans that get a paltry one or two weeks off a year could enjoy what you have. You realize many or most companies don't allow you to save up three years worth of vacation time and use it for one big vacation. They have never allowed that. If you don't use your paltry one or two weeks, you lost them the next year.

I guess you wouldn't support a national law like that cause it goes against your Texas culture and hatred of the Fed Govt: "don't mess with Texas". The result is the lousy pathetic vacation time Americans get compared to every other first world nation on the planet. Y'all are happy with that I guess.
Are you always so presumptuous?

Plus, many companies allow you to carry over a certain amount of time from one year to the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or