U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:16 AM

214 posts, read 224,759 times

Advertisements

Do many Americans go on vacations within the USA or do they tend to go abroad more often? In the US you guys have almost everything you could need, for e.g. beach vacations in Florida or Hawaii, or you got mountain adventure in places like Alaska or around the American West. Do many Americans stay in the US to vacation or go abroad to Europe/Africa etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 05:30 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,856,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Do many Americans go on vacations within the USA or do they tend to go abroad more often? In the US you guys have almost everything you could need, for e.g. beach vacations in Florida or Hawaii, or you got mountain adventure in places like Alaska or around the American West. Do many Americans stay in the US to vacation or go abroad to Europe/Africa etc?
The majority of Americans will do the most of their vacationing in the US. In fact, many will never leave the borders of the United States in their lifetime. For reasons you stated, there is plenty to do right here at home, and many don't see the value of visiting other countries and cultures. I see the value of traveling abroad, but it is much cheaper to stay here. This country is so massive, with so many different regions, landscapes, cities, and sub-cultures that it will take a lifetime for anyone to truly explore it!

Old 07-13-2017, 05:34 AM

44,675 posts, read 36,118,702 times
My husband and I go overseas for a big vacation about once every five years. In between those trips, we vacation throughout the US. Like the OP says, there is SO MUCH to do here. My gosh, I've traveled all over the world but I haven't even vacationed in NYC yet. I finally visited Boston just last year. So yeah - lots to do here.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:42 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
A lot I would think. But I personally always travel abroad.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:42 AM

2,753 posts, read 1,973,056 times
I have little desire to leave the US, for the reasons stated above. Outside the US, I've only been to several Caribbean islands, and apart from the wonderful beaches, there was nothing I'd want to see ever again. I'm sure many places in Europe are beautiful, and I'd like to visit the lands of my great grandparents, but there's no hurry.

Just remembered, I've also been to a tiny bit of Canada (Niagara Falls, Niagara on the Falls), which was very much like home and VERY nice. I will eventually see more of Canada, but only in the warm months!

Old 07-13-2017, 07:40 AM

3,819 posts, read 5,200,893 times
It is easier and cheaper to vacation in the US, so the majority of Americans' vacations are spent within the US. Some people travel abroad as much as possible. Others have little desire to do so. My mom always says there is so much of her own country that she wants to see, so she doesn't want to go abroad. We live less than an hour from Canada, so she has been there many times. My sister was married in Jamaica, so she actually had to get a passport. I doubt she will ever use it again. Me? I've also only been to Canada and Jamaica, but I'd like to go to a few places abroad. Mainly for the history.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:54 AM

214 posts, read 224,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
It is easier and cheaper to vacation in the US, so the majority of Americans' vacations are spent within the US. Some people travel abroad as much as possible. Others have little desire to do so. My mom always says there is so much of her own country that she wants to see, so she doesn't want to go abroad. We live less than an hour from Canada, so she has been there many times. My sister was married in Jamaica, so she actually had to get a passport. I doubt she will ever use it again. Me? I've also only been to Canada and Jamaica, but I'd like to go to a few places abroad. Mainly for the history.
The cost of travelling is not something I considered. I forgot the dollar is weaker to Europe and some other countries. I live in UK, however I have no desire to visit other European countries like Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece etc, but I do have a desire to visit (maybe potentially live) the USA, especially the American West, some of the Midwest/South US, Hawaii and maybe even Alaska.

I also want to visit Southern Africa, parts of West Africa like Ghana, and also Japan too. Australia never appealed to me because of distance. Many Brits enjoy Southern Europe and Australia though, so I guess it's just personal preference.

Which other countries would you like to go to? Also, how much does a passport cost in US?

Old 07-13-2017, 08:00 AM

779 posts, read 518,213 times
The latest information from the US Department Of State...

About 30 percent of US citizens hold a passport. By contrast about 70 percent of Canadians have one.

xxx.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:06 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,522,521 times
While there are definitely some areas I'd like to travel to outside the US, overall most anything I really want is here

Hawaii is somewhat lush and tropical
Alaska is an outdoor paradise, and "secluded" if that's what you want
And then you have amazing National Park across the US.
Tons of great snowboarding, skiiing, etc...

Old 07-13-2017, 08:08 AM

6,467 posts, read 4,066,328 times
I've been to Canada, Japan, Guatemala, and a whirlwind trip to Europe, but usually vacation in the US. Not only are the distances pretty vast to go abroad, but there is a lot of hassle involved.

Just last weekend, we had a family reunion in Blaine, Washington, which is a border town. We decided to fly in to Vancouver, BC and drive down to the reunion location (a distance of 48 km). The flight itself was only 2.5 hours, but we were dumbfounded at how long it took to go through customs at the airport, rent a car (they refused our US auto insurance, which had assured us that they extended coverage to Canada, and forced us to buy their own insurance), and cross the border. It actually would have been faster to fly in to Seattle and drive up from there (200 km).

On the return trip, we started counting. What with the border crossing, airport security, and customs, we were required to wait in lines and present our passports SEVEN separate times before finally getting on the plane. Who wants to go through that? I love traveling, but I can hop on a plane or get in a car and freely travel hundreds to thousands of miles in several directions in my own country with no hassle at all. So that's what we do, most of the time. As far as I am concerned, international travel is for a special long vacation once every few years. I'm not popping in and out of foreign countries for every holiday, like my German relatives.

Our passports were $110 for the family members who had never had one (a couple of my children). The rest of us only had to renew our old passports, and they were cheaper. I feel sure that US citizens who live near the Canada and Mexico borders are more likely to have passports than those who live in the middle of the country. Canadians have a higher rate of passport ownership than Americans because almost all of them live with spitting distance of the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or