U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:04 PM

32 posts, read 19,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Is there a reason it needs one?

Attention-whoring white girls - "I loooooove Boston!"

Translation - "there's less black people here."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 07:38 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,356,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBorn View Post

....one reason, no doubt, a certain segment of Millennials like Boston as well as cities like Portland, Pittsburgh, Austin, Denver, San Francisco, San Diego, and Asheville, among others.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:41 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,782,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
1 in 4 Bostonians are black. That isn't significant to you?
Does it feel like that? The metro area can't be the same demographics so wouldn't that make it feel very white?

Old 07-14-2017, 07:41 PM

1,016 posts, read 644,139 times
Quote:

If a white woman in the United States of America marries outside of her race, she is statistically much more likely to marry a black man than either an Asian, Latino or American Indian man, so I don't know where this comment is coming from.

Furthermore, as a white person who grew up on the East Coast and lived there for many years, I've never known any white women who feel as if they need to "escape" to whiter cities like Boston, for example, to avoid men of color. Overall, the metropolitan area populations of major cities on the East Coast are still fairly white, especially in the suburbs and exurbs, which is not necessarily the case in states like California and Texas.

In fact, my experience around white women on the East Coast has been quite the contrary; it seems as if many white women on the East Coast actively seek out men of color -- usually black, but sometimes also Dominican and Puerto Rican -- as mates as a result of their lack of exposure to these types of men while growing up in the suburbs and then later on in college.

This phenomenon is almost unheard of in other parts of the country, including California, where women (and gay men) of all racial and ethnic backgrounds would do anything for a white husband.

I've observed that white women in California are much more inclined to move out-of-state to whiter cities in the Intermountain West such as Denver, Phoenix and Salt Lake City to name a few and, of course, pick up a mate there.

But this is definitely not a common thread in New England or anywhere else on the East Coast.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:57 PM

It's not a science, but generally speaking, there is a survey floating around about the most favored metros in the US and they are white majorities (Seattle, Portland, Boston, etc.) and the most unfavored are not (Detroit, Cleveland, etc.)

America sees it's society through a white lens. Absolutely no doubt in my mind certain cities benefit from that.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Does it feel like that? The metro area can't be the same demographics so wouldn't that make it feel very white?

Yes, overwhelmingly.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:04 PM

6,066 posts, read 3,395,846 times
Quote:

Or maybe they just love Boston? Are they supposed to hate it?

Considering Boston is 1/4 black, I think this whole thread is nothing but race baiting.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:08 PM

6,066 posts, read 3,395,846 times
Quote:
It's not a science, but generally speaking, there is a survey floating around about the most favored metros in the US and they are white majorities (Seattle, Portland, Boston, etc.) and the most unfavored are not (Detroit, Cleveland, etc.)

America sees it's society through a white lens. Absolutely no doubt in my mind certain cities benefit from that.

Have you seen what Detroit and Cleveland look like? Classic Rust Belt. Race has nothing to do with it. New York is extremely well liked, is it mostly white too?? Or Chicago??

Old 07-14-2017, 08:10 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,377,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Well as ckhthankgod said there are some suburbs that are even more black so I suppose it depends on where you are. It's certainly not Baltimore but I also wouldn't characterize it as "insignificant".

Old 07-14-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Or maybe they just love Boston? Are they supposed to hate it?

Considering Boston is 1/4 black, I think this whole thread is nothing but race baiting.

Metro Boston is 7% black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or