U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following do the Great Lakes have...
a coast 12 19.05%
a shore 51 80.95%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:04 PM

56,593 posts, read 80,870,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I live less than an hour from one and that is the first time I've ever seen the Great Lakes referred to in terms of being "coastal". It has always been referred to as a shoreline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 08:10 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,017,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I live less than an hour from one and that is the first time I've ever seen the Great Lakes referred to in terms of being "coastal". It has always been referred to as a shoreline.
Well, this seems kind of official. People's opinions are just that. Like I said earlier, it really doesn't matter, though. It is what it is. People who don't live near the lakes, can't stand that they would be considered "coastal." I didn't vote, but I'd bet that most of those "shore" votes come from the coasts.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:17 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,536,885 times
Quote:
I know the NWS has "lakeshore flood warning/watch/advisory" during storms as opposed to "coastal flood warning" or ocean storms. so there is a divergence in syntax.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Well, this seems kind of official. People's opinions are just that. Like I said earlier, it really doesn't matter, though. It is what it is. People who don't live near the lakes, can't stand that they would be considered "coastal." I didn't vote, but I'd bet that most of those "shore" votes come from the coasts.
I don't know, as while that is official, that appears to be very rare.

btownboss4, I think you are on to something.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I don't know, as while that is official, that appears to be very rare.

btownboss4, I think you are on to something.

I don't know, or care, if it makes it official. FEMA is a government agency.....that's where I was coming from. This is interesting, though, and shows how impressive these lakes are.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/..._coastlin.html

Last edited by Enean; 07-18-2017 at 07:36 AM..

Old 07-18-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I don't know, or care, if it makes it official. FEMA is a government agency.....that's where I was coming from. This is interesting, though, and shows how impressive these lakes are.

Great Lakes have the most miles of coastline in contiguous US | MLive.com
I know and yes, they are impressive. I actually went to a college where you can literally walk to Lake Ontario and see it everyday on the way to class.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:

I don't think I trust that, you can come up with basically any number you want depending on the precision you measure the nooks of the coast, some people claim RI has 400 miles of Coastline, that would be 20% of the total east coast number on that link.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I don't think I trust that, you can come up with basically any number you want depending on the precision you measure the nooks of the coast, some people claim RI has 400 miles of Coastline, that would be 20% of the total east coast number on that link.
I would imagine they would measure the lakes and the ocean the same..nooks on both. If they didn't include the nooks on the coasts, I wouldn't think the nooks on the lakes would be counted.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I would imagine they would measure the lakes and the ocean the same..nooks on both. If they didn't include the nooks on the coasts, I wouldn't think the nooks on the lakes would be counted.
Well according to Wikipedia the ocean states were measured by NOAA and CRS and the Great Lakes, only NOAA. They used NOAA for the Great Lakes and CRS for the Atlantic and Pacific Seaboards. That makes a massive difference CRA says RI has 40 miles of Coast while NOAA says 384. It was an apples to oranges comparison.
A reason why they are so different is for example if there is a barrier island CRS would measure the ocean side, while NOAA would measure the beach side, bay side and the mainland side of the intracoastal, making a much longer coastline.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:08 PM

1,004 posts, read 601,554 times
How many people in NE Ohio (Cleveland and surrounding areas) refer to it as the North Coast? It doesn't seem to be the most popular term. Shore makes more sense for the Great Lakes though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or