U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:17 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,119,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Neither Hennepin (Minneapolis) nor Ramsey (St. Paul) counties are adjacent to Wisconsin.

Washington county is, and it the between the border and Ramsey county. Both Washington and Ramsey counties are between the border and Hennepin county.
He didn't pick Ramsey County and he added Hennepin County by wasting a slot on Dakota County (which borders both Wisconsin and Hennepin County). It's a hideous border but I think Hennepin + Dakota is worth two of the 5 slots. I might even add Ramsey by removing DuPage (even if the latter has way more people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 10:26 PM

Since nobody in Wyoming apparently has internet, here are the 5 I would pick for Wyoming:

Scenario A: if all counties have to border Wyoming:
1. Larimer County, CO: Fort Collins would immediately become the biggest city in Wyoming. Wyoming would also get Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, and a few Denver exurbs

2. Routt County, CO: Steamboat Springs is gorgeous and there are beautiful forests nearby.

3. Gallatin County, MT: Bozeman would become the anchor for NW Wyoming, and is booming like crazy. It would also give back a smidge of Yellowstone National Park to Wyoming.

4. Pennington County, SD: Rapid City, Black Hills National Forest, Mount Rushmore, and lots of extra scenery. If only Custer County could be added too! That would have added Custer, Crazy Horse, and Wind Cave National Park as well :/

5. Summit County, UT: Park City, the Sundance Film Festival and Wyoming would get some Salt Lake City exurbs.

Not going to lie, I didn't think Wyoming had such great options. But if Wyoming could add these 5 counties, it would be a tourism superstar!

Scenario B: if the 5 counties don't have to each border Wyoming:

I would swap Gallatin County, MT for Salt Lake County, UT. Wyoming needs a major city!

Old 08-31-2018, 11:35 PM

1,529 posts, read 979,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
He didn't pick Ramsey County and he added Hennepin County by wasting a slot on Dakota County (which borders both Wisconsin and Hennepin County). It's a hideous border but I think Hennepin + Dakota is worth two of the 5 slots. I might even add Ramsey by removing DuPage (even if the latter has way more people).
My misread, thanks.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:38 AM

3,790 posts, read 2,590,969 times
For California I would take:

1. Clark County give us vegas since California basically funds Vegas or atleast a huge part.
2. Mohave County in Arizona just so we could have the grand canyon lol
3. Douglas, Washoe, and Carson city to bring Lake Tahoe completely home while getting the sierras for the most part without the Nevada lol

The state is already massive this would make it even larger with 3 million more people.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:03 AM

998 posts, read 890,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
This is a fairly straight-forward thought exercise that could bridge some of the state rivalries on C-D. I was in Old Town Alexandria looking over the Potomac the other day at National Harbor and I thought, "If only that were a part of Virginia." Assuming you could magically poach 5 adjacent counties, which would you choose and why?

VIRGINIA:

* District of Columbia: This might not fit the exact definition, but the first choice is a no brainer: the Capital of the United States of America, the most powerful city in the world and one of the fastest growing. Northern Virginia also lacks a dominant urban city. Alexandria and Arlington don't really have the pull over the rest of NoVa as you would imagine. Adding DC to the mix would turn Virginia's largest region from a suburban one to an urban one. Not to mention the Ethiopian food, cupcake shops, neo-classical monuments and colonial neighborhoods. But I'll assume that's not an option.

1. Jefferson County, West Virginia: Gun to my head, the first county I would add is not in Maryland, but in West Virginia. I think of Virginia as being a cultural hearth of the U.S. (a role shared only with Maryland and Pennsylvania). Harpers Ferry fits that role, but is not in Virginia. Not to mention the Appalachian Mountains there are stunning!

2. Worcester County, Maryland: More beach towns are always better! And few can be as fun as Ocean City. Stealing Worcester County does deprive Maryland of Atlantic Ocean access, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Virginia Beach is lonely right now. It's also long past time we re-united Assateague.

3. Montgomery County, Maryland: I'll be the first to say it: I find Montgomery County to be immensely boring. I would add it just to make Virginia safe D in Presidential elections. I would also like to have 100% of Great Falls Park.

4. Pocahontas County, West Virginia: Monongahela National Forest should be a part of Virginia. It's very beautiful and Virginia should grab as much prime Appalachian territory as possible. Pocahontas County has a weird border though and I'd be willing to opt for Pendleton County instead just for a better state shape.

5. This one was really tough. There were so many good options: Prince George's County, Harlan County, KY, Greenbriar County, WV, etc. But the winner is: Currituck County, NC One word: Corolla.

For fun, Nos. 6-10 would have been:
6. Harlan County, KY
7. Prince George's County, MD
8. Greenbriar County, WV
9. Pendleton County, WV
10. Granville County, NC

All in all, Virginia has 8,411,808. It would add:
Currituck County: 25,809
Jefferson County: 56,368
Montgomery County: 1,043,863
Pocahontas County: 8,501
Worcester County: 51,444
TOTAL NEW POPULATION: 1,185,985
NEW VIRGINIA POPULATION: 9,597,793
Currituck County NC is actually included in the VA Beach/Norfolk/Newport News (Hampton Roads) MSA.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Currituck County NC is actually included in the VA Beach/Norfolk/Newport News (Hampton Roads) MSA.
Yep. And Virginia only has like 5% of the Outer Banks now, so adding Currituck really adds to the percentage.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
For California I would take:

1. Clark County give us vegas since California basically funds Vegas or atleast a huge part.
2. Mohave County in Arizona just so we could have the grand canyon lol
3. Douglas, Washoe, and Carson city to bring Lake Tahoe completely home while getting the sierras for the most part without the Nevada lol

The state is already massive this would make it even larger with 3 million more people.
I associate the Grand Canyon with Coconino County, since the vast majority of the National Park is there.

I would swap out Carson City (which is dull) for Klamath County, OR, giving California the beautiful Crater Lake National Park as well.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:30 PM

3,686 posts, read 1,251,965 times
Georgia:

Lee County, AL

Russell County, AL

Hamilton County, TN

Nassau County, FL

Leon County, FL

Old 09-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Status: "Warrior fan no matter the roster" (set 9 days ago)

12,226 posts, read 10,471,782 times
Ohio is basically encapsulated by the Ohio River and Lake Erie, leaving mostly Rural Indiana, so I’d pass.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:36 PM

3,686 posts, read 1,251,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes, to all of these. Plus, Duval County, FL...home of Jacksonville, "The Capital of South Georgia."

Also, Lee County, AL (along with a sliver of Russell County to get all of Phenix City).

We would get Auburn U. and help out Metro Columbus.
I don't believe Duval County is adjacent to Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or