U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 11:25 PM

13,611 posts, read 22,067,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I don't believe Duval County is adjacent to Georgia.
I lumped/lump it with Nassau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 11:41 AM

324 posts, read 162,998 times
I don't want Ohio to annex any counties from other states, though I wouldn't mind Tuscarawas and Ashland counties being split into two (the northern and southern halves of both counties are culturally different) so our state's county amount amount goes from 88 to 90.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:08 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,925,452 times
Default Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Ohio is basically encapsulated by the Ohio River and Lake Erie, leaving mostly Rural Indiana, so Id pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
I don't want Ohio to annex any counties from other states, though I wouldn't mind Tuscarawas and Ashland counties being split into two (the northern and southern halves of both counties are culturally different) so our state's county amount amount goes from 88 to 90.
I take it you both like the look of the state now, from the natural boundaries of Lake Erie and the Ohio River, to the straight line boundaries with Indiana and Pennsylvania.

I can see that. Some states have such perfectly formed boundaries that any additions to the state would look weird on the map, unless you evenly shifted the whole boundary but that might take more then 5 counties.

Other states, like Maryland for instance, have weird boundaries on the map already so that a few additions don't really matter and might even improve the look of the state.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:13 AM

13,227 posts, read 17,988,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Yes I would. Camden county, NJ is one of the wealthiest and most populous counties in the country despite having Camden city as the county seat. Chautauqua county adds lake frontage on Lake Erie.

Morgantown and Youngstown are dying. If it weren't for WVU, nobody would know where Morgantown is outside of West Virginia.
Saying they're useless is harsh. Why not annex Brooke and Hancock Counties in West Virginia, and Trumbull, Mahoning and Columbiana Counties in Ohio? Weirton basically functions like an exurb of Pittsburgh these days, and Youngstown has always been the black sheep among the larger Ohio cities. Those five counties would add over 500,000 more people to Pennsylvania's population and put it comfortably over 13,000,000.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:29 AM

430 posts, read 131,464 times
Iowa here.

Douglas County, NE - Add Omaha. Get a solid, growing metro area.

Houston County, MN - Beautiful country, adds to the state's outdoor recreation portfolio.

Fillmore County, MN - See above

Crawford County, WI - See above

Jo Daviess County, IL - Also a beautiful area, but adds the tourism of Galena.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:17 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,106,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I lumped/lump it with Nassau.
Nassau is actually part of the Jacksonville MSA, and really at this point neighboring Camden County, GA should be as well. It will be interesting see if the next census will redefine Camden/St. Marys' status as a micropolitan area.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:45 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,449,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Iowa here.

Douglas County, NE - Add Omaha. Get a solid, growing metro area.

Houston County, MN - Beautiful country, adds to the state's outdoor recreation portfolio.

Fillmore County, MN - See above

Crawford County, WI - See above

Jo Daviess County, IL - Also a beautiful area, but adds the tourism of Galena.

Good list, but I'd personally replace Douglas Co, NE with Grant Co, WI. I'd take all the extra scenery I could get.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:49 AM

651 posts, read 245,420 times
For NC:

Virginia Beach - it would give the state a completely different beach than what it already has

Horry County, SC - same as above

Sevier County, TN - the state would get the obvious Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg Smoky Mtn tourist mecca which is noticeably stronger than Cherokee/Maggie Valley

York County, SC - simply because of being in Charlotte's MSA

Greenville County SC - well why not add on another cool city?

Old 09-05-2018, 01:15 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,106,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
For NC:

Virginia Beach - it would give the state a completely different beach than what it already has

Horry County, SC - same as above

Sevier County, TN - the state would get the obvious Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg Smoky Mtn tourist mecca which is noticeably stronger than Cherokee/Maggie Valley

York County, SC - simply because of being in Charlotte's MSA

Greenville County SC - well why not add on another cool city?
I've always thought that a combined Carolina would make an interesting superstate(The US's 5th largest at 15.3M).

Imagine a state with mountains, the Piedmont, the Outer Banks and the Low Country. Talk about a variety of cultures.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:53 PM

628 posts, read 760,706 times
For Indiana:

Cook County, IL - Add over 5 million people and a world-class city, not to mention more lake shore.

Hamilton Co, OH - Add over 800,00 people plus a historic river city.

Jefferson Co, KY - Add almost 800,000 plus another historic river city.

Will County, IL - An additional 650,000+ people, plus some nice suburbs.

Berrien Co, MI - 150,000+ more people, plus miles of lake shore.

Overall IN would gain over 7.5 million, add miles of natural lake shore, gain 3 major cities (1 world-class) and some nice suburbs.

Indiana would more than double to become the 5th largest state by population at over 14 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or