U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 07:22 PM

941 posts, read 412,807 times

Advertisements

Besides "annexing", I wish New Jersey could split into two states, one state being the NYC metro region and one state being the Phili region. I wish North Jersey could annex the five counties that make up NYC as another user said. I wish South Jersey could annex the five counties that make up Philadelphia. To me, it makes more sense for Phili and NYC to be part of NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 10:11 PM

22,116 posts, read 23,634,230 times
New York state should probably take in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Passaic, and Union county from New Jersey.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:18 PM

3,767 posts, read 2,553,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Besides "annexing", I wish New Jersey could split into two states, one state being the NYC metro region and one state being the Phili region. I wish North Jersey could annex the five counties that make up NYC as another user said. I wish South Jersey could annex the five counties that make up Philadelphia. To me, it makes more sense for Phili and NYC to be part of NJ.
Just by taking the five counties of NYC North Jersey more than doubles it population, that's crazy! Makes since though, I think NYC is more like Jersey as a whole than New york as a whole.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:23 AM

774 posts, read 839,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Maryland, give us, Loudoun County VA, Adams County PA and the entire state of Delaware.
Actually, this is how I'd add counties to MD:

1. Fairfax County, Virginia (with over a million people, we would gain DC's largest metro suburban jurisdiction, Fortune 500 HQs, and a new largest mall, along with many more metro stations).

2. Loudoun County, Virginia (This allows MD to have complete control of Dulles Airport, more control of the Potomac, is/was fast growing, and has good relations to Montgomery and Frederick counties.)

3. Chester County, Pennsylvania (like someone said, this would give us a good part of Philly's main line suburbs).

4. New Castle County, Delaware (Wilmington would become the hub for the entire northeast quarter of the state, and continue to grow MD's ties to the greater Philadelphia area).

5. Lancaster County, Pennsylvania (In addition to strengthening MD's case as being "northern", a nice metro of several hundred thousand would complement annexed Chester County and provide more of the Susquehanna, and having Amish Country would be neat.)

All told, MD would gain over three million more people and about four seats in the house, and it would benefit Baltimore by being in a more important state as a result.

BONUS:

I'd give Arlington and Alexandria to Washington, DC so that Virginia wouldn't have any exclaves, plus most of the areas mentioned were part of DC in the 1800s. They would be like what Allegheny was to Pittsburgh or Brooklyn to NYC. Virginia's shape would still form a nice triangle. After all, the rest area that was once billed as the "Virginia Welcome Center" on I-95 is in Prince William County.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:57 PM

517 posts, read 217,777 times
For South Carolina I would choose:

1. Mecklenburg County, NC: Who wouldn’t want to add a major city? Hello, Charlotte, SC. Lol
2. Chatham County, GA: Because Charleston needs a friend in Savannah.
3. Richmond County, GA: Augusta is basically copying everything Columbia does at this point, so it makes sense.
4. Gaston County, NC: Naturally to go along with Mecklenburg.
5. Brunswick County, NC: It’s already a classier extension of Horry County and the ‘Dirty Myrtle’ anyhow.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:57 PM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Wow, this thread went off the rails before it reached the bottom of page 1! The OP said, "Assuming you could magically poach 5 adjacent counties,... ' Oh well...

Old 09-09-2018, 03:11 PM

517 posts, read 217,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Wow, this thread went off the rails before it reached the bottom of page 1! The OP said, "Assuming you could magically poach 5 adjacent counties,... ' Oh well...
The OP also later said you can annex a county not adjacent to the state, as long as you annex one that touches it and the adjacent state.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:48 PM

5,532 posts, read 3,683,135 times
Idaho would most likely annex five counties in far Eastern Washington State to increase its population and GDP. These would include Pend Oreille Co., Spokane Co., Whitman Co., Garfiend Co., and Asotin Co. Of course this, and most of the already listed possibilities in this thread will never happen. Obviously, it is not economically feasible...not to mention the geopolitical issues. But a fun fantasy conversation starter. Or not.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:20 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
You may as well take all of Long Island too.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:32 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Agreed. Plus it would ruin our shape!
And give Colorado some culture. No thanks!

/s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or