U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:54 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,433,843 times

Advertisements

Washoe, Carson City, and Douglas Counties so CA doesn't have to share Lake Tahoe with Nevada.

Baja California for the beaches/landscape.

And probably the counties that border AZ and the Colorado River for water rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 10:07 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Conversely, I would imagine that NC (Charlotte in particular) would want to annex York County, SC in particular and possibly Lancaster & Chester as well to round out Charlotte's metro more completely in NC alone.
Additionally, NC would probably like to have Blount, Sevier and Cocke Counties in TN to have the Great Smokey Mtns National Park completely within NC.
For NC, York and Lancaster for sure; Chester doesn't border NC. NC could also annex both Horry County, SC and VA Beach to give the state two popular beach tourist destinations that are relatively easy to access. Another good option would be Greenville County, SC but there would be a dispute as far as names go since NC already has a Greenville.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:27 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,816,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
For NC, York and Lancaster for sure; Chester doesn't border NC. NC could also annex both Horry County, SC and VA Beach to give the state two popular beach tourist destinations that are relatively easy to access. Another good option would be Greenville County, SC but there would be a dispute as far as names go since NC already has a Greenville.
I have never gotten the impression that NC residents are interested in either Horry County or VA Beach. NC has enough coastline.

I realize that Chester doesn't border NC but it's part of Charlotte's metro.

Personally, I don't personally have any desire whatsoever for NC to add any counties on its borders. Perhaps if I were a Charlotte person, I'd feel differently?

Old 07-18-2017, 10:39 AM

11,438 posts, read 6,412,321 times
Bergen, Hudson, Monteregie (Quebec), Chittenden, Fairfield

Old 07-18-2017, 10:59 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
I have never gotten the impression that NC residents are interested in either Horry County or VA Beach. NC has enough coastline.

I realize that Chester doesn't border NC but it's part of Charlotte's metro.

Personally, I don't personally have any desire whatsoever for NC to add any counties on its borders. Perhaps if I were a Charlotte person, I'd feel differently?
To state the obvious, this is a completely hypothetical exercise.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:11 AM

7,137 posts, read 9,915,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Bergen, Hudson, Monteregie (Quebec), Chittenden, Fairfield
My pick for New York is similar with a few differences.

1. Fairfield County - first and foremost to bring back some of the wealth of former New York businesses now in Stamford and also the wealth of Fairfield County.

2. Berkshire County - beautiful county right on the border. Might as well liberate it from Boston.

3. Bergen County -To get more control over the Hudson River. Also Bergen is a wealthy county in its own right (imagine Bergen, Westchester and Fairfield in one state!).

4. Hudson County - again more control over the Hudson, this time directly across the river from downtown and midtown Manhattan. Only problem is that Hudson might become the sixth borough and the last thing New York State needs is a even larger New York City to further unbalance the politics.

5. Regional Municipality of Niagara - to get control over both sides of the Niagara River and Falls.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:28 PM

11,438 posts, read 6,412,321 times
Good idea about the Niagara municipality. I would switch maybe Chittenden with Niagara then

Old 07-18-2017, 12:40 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,085,135 times
Quote:
Agreed.

My list would be Virginia Beach, Horry County, York County and Greenville County, to be sure. Chesapeake would be my fifth one in, but is not as beneficial as the others.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:27 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,816,975 times
Quote:
To state the obvious, this is a completely hypothetical exercise.
I hypothetically don't desire any bordering counties to be added to NC.

I can totally see how adding bordering counties to some states would give them something that they don't have, but I just don't see what gets added to NC that it doesn't already have.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:32 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,085,135 times
Quote:
I hypothetically don't desire any bordering counties to be added to NC.

I can totally see how adding bordering counties to some states would give them something that they don't have, but I just don't see what gets added to NC that it doesn't already have.
Certainly more population and tax dollars, to be sure.

More diversity - Virginia Beach is not like Carolina Beach, which is not like Myrtle Beach. Additionally, Greenville, SC has more of an artistic nature about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or