Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 01:34 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I hypothetically don't desire any bordering counties to be added to NC.

I can totally see how adding bordering counties to some states would give them something that they don't have, but I just don't see what gets added to NC that it doesn't already have.
If you don't see the point in participating in the hypothetical exercise, then don't.

Not sure why you're being such a party pooper here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 01:44 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,746 times
If we are just doing counties that are directly adjacent to the KY border then:

1) Hamilton County, OH (for Cincinnati)
2) Sumner County, TN (Nashville Suburbs and tremendous growth)
3) Robertson County, TN (see Sumner County)
4) Montogomery County, TN (for Clarksville and more of Ft. Campbell)
5) Wise County, VA (for some extra scenery)

If they don't have to be directly adjacent then the no brainer for Kentucky is to take Hamilton County, OH for Cincinnati and then take the vast majority of Nashville Metro by taking Robertson, Sumner, Davidson (the county Nashville itself is in), and Williamson. Kentucky would add 2+ Million with that scenario and gain 2 major cities plus one of the richest counties in the South with Williamson.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:50 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
If we are just doing counties that are directly adjacent to the KY border then:

1) Hamilton County, OH (for Cincinnati)
2) Sumner County, TN (Nashville Suburbs and tremendous growth)
3) Robertson County, TN (see Sumner County)
4) Montogomery County, TN (for Clarksville and more of Ft. Campbell)
5) Wise County, VA (for some extra scenery)

If they don't have to be directly adjacent then the no brainer for Kentucky is to take Hamilton County, OH for Cincinnati and then take the vast majority of Nashville Metro by taking Robertson, Sumner, Davidson (the county Nashville itself is in), and Williamson. Kentucky would add 2+ Million with that scenario and gain 2 major cities plus one of the richest counties in the South with Williamson.
You can choose whether all 5 counties have to each border the state or whether they have to be contiguous once all 5 are added.

For example, you can add either not add Maricopa to Cali (because it doesn't border) or you can choose to add it (but you'd have to waste a slot to make it contiguous with Cali). The methodology doesn't matter so long as the 5 counties are all ultimately contiguous.

For Oklahoma (childhood state)

1. Benton County, AR: Wal-Mart, Crystal Bridges

2. Washington County, AR: University of Arkansas

3. Grayson County, TX: So Oklahoma can be poised for some booming Dallas suburbs in the next 20 years

4. Lamar County, TX: For Paris, Texas

5. Union County, NM: For some more arid terrain

Old 07-19-2017, 12:21 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
I like how Texas looks and nearly any annexation would just make it look worse. The only thing I could think of is maybe the Oklahoma Panhandle and Greer County, but that is six in total.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:27 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I like how Texas looks and nearly any annexation would just make it look worse. The only thing I could think of is maybe the Oklahoma Panhandle and Greer County, but that is six in total.
I agree, and would say the same for my home state of WV. We like the current outline of the state, and even adding one county would throw the look off.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:23 AM

235 posts, read 331,587 times
For Rhode Island:

Bristol county MA - basically providence suburbs in Mass. Very similar culturally to RI and includes some coastal areas

New London county CT - coastal Connecticut that is also similar culturally to Rhode Island

Dukes and Nantucket counties MA - might as well take Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket from Mass right? The border via buzzards bay kinda sorta maybe

I'm not sure what 5th county id want. I guess either Boston suburbs (Norfolk ma) or the hamptons in NY (Suffolk) county since block island borders it.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:07 AM

135 posts, read 181,192 times
For Indiana:

1. Cook Co, IL - Chicago
2. Lake Co, IL - Affluent North Shore, more lakefront.
3. Berrien Co, MI - More lakefront, picturesque towns, state parks, etc
4. Hamilton Co, OH - Cincinnati
5. Jefferson Co, Ky - Louisville

Overnight, Indiana's population goes from 6,633,053 to 14,275,014. Our state becomes the undisputed economic powerhouse of the middle of the country with - outside of arguably Mass/Cal - easily the best and most diverse set of universities housed in any single state. The Indy/Cincy/Louisville triangle becomes a cohesive "thing" and starts thinking regionally and collaboratively and becomes a force on the national scene. Chicago continues to dominate the North. We stop electing Governors like Mike Pence. A guy can dream, right?

Old 07-19-2017, 06:21 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
For Pennsylvania I'd take:

1. New Castle, DE (add another mid size city and have more of Philadelphia metro in state)
2. Camden, NJ ( have more of Philadelphia metro in state and economically advantageous)
3. Gloucester, NJ (See above)
4. Garrett, MD (gain deep creek lake and mountain wilderness, plus it doesn't really "fit" in maryland)
5. Chautauqua, NY (primarily for more lakefront on Erie)

Sorry WV and OH, any adjacent counties to PA are useless.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:46 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
For Pennsylvania I'd take:

1. New Castle, DE (add another mid size city and have more of Philadelphia metro in state)
2. Camden, NJ ( have more of Philadelphia metro in state and economically advantageous)
3. Gloucester, NJ (See above)
4. Garrett, MD (gain deep creek lake and mountain wilderness, plus it doesn't really "fit" in maryland)
5. Chautauqua, NY (primarily for more lakefront on Erie)

Sorry WV and OH, any adjacent counties to PA are useless.
You would add Camden, NJ and Chautauqua, NY before you would add Monongalia County, WV or Mahoning County, OH? Haha Go figure!

Old 07-19-2017, 07:15 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
You would add Camden, NJ and Chautauqua, NY before you would add Monongalia County, WV or Mahoning County, OH? Haha Go figure!
Yes I would. Camden county, NJ is one of the wealthiest and most populous counties in the country despite having Camden city as the county seat. Chautauqua county adds lake frontage on Lake Erie.

Morgantown and Youngstown are dying. If it weren't for WVU, nobody would know where Morgantown is outside of West Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.