Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:38 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Yes I would. Camden county, NJ is one of the wealthiest and most populous counties in the country despite having Camden city as the county seat. Chautauqua county adds lake frontage on Lake Erie.

Morgantown and Youngstown are dying. If it weren't for WVU, nobody would know where Morgantown is outside of West Virginia.

I wouldnt go that far. Camden County has some nice upper class enclaves, but not among the wealthiest in the nation, it still ranks well below its neighboring suburban counties on the PA side of Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 07:42 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I wouldnt go that far. Camden County has some nice upper class enclaves, but not among the wealthiest in the nation, it still ranks well below its neighboring suburban counties on the PA side of Philadelphia.
Well maybe a bit, but much more effective than adding rural WV counties or Youngstown, OH.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Yes I would. Camden county, NJ is one of the wealthiest and most populous counties in the country despite having Camden city as the county seat. Chautauqua county adds lake frontage on Lake Erie.

Morgantown and Youngstown are dying. If it weren't for WVU, nobody would know where Morgantown is outside of West Virginia.
Well this is dead inaccurate.

Morgantown, WV is actually growing and so too in Mon County. Morgantown has had a +15.9% increase in population since 2000, and Mon County at +25% growth since 2000. Both are expected to continue to grow over the next 20 years due to growth at WVU/education, healthcare, technology, and pharmaceutical sectors. Morgantown is considered one of the premier growing small cities in the country.

Camden, NJ is a war zone that rivals Syria or Yemen!

Old 07-19-2017, 08:51 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Well this is dead inaccurate.

Morgantown, WV is actually growing and so too in Mon County. Morgantown has had a +15.9% increase in population since 2000, and Mon County at +25% growth since 2000. Both are expected to continue to grow over the next 20 years due to growth at WVU/education, healthcare, technology, and pharmaceutical sectors. Morgantown is considered one of the premier growing small cities in the country.
He's right about Youngstown though.

Quote:
Camden, NJ is a war zone that rivals Syria or Yemen!
Clearly there's a serious crime problem there, but there are also some good things happening there as well. It's only a matter of time before it turns around...it's inevitable. It has too many built-in advantages.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:35 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
He's right about Youngstown though.

Clearly there's a serious crime problem there, but there are also some good things happening there as well. It's only a matter of time before it turns around...it's inevitable. It has too many built-in advantages.
Youngstown isn't in the best shape. But I would take it and its problems before Camden. That is good news to hear that there is some positive things starting to take shape there. I does have a great location, and foundation for future growth.

There is a host of other NJ counties that I'd annex into PA before I would take Camden however.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Well maybe a bit, but much more effective than adding rural WV counties or Youngstown, OH.
I would take New Castle County DE over Camden County. Mercer would be also be a much better choice. Most of SJ is already a drag on the Philadelphia area.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Youngstown isn't in the best shape. But I would take it and its problems before Camden.
I'd take Camden over Youngstown easily. Camden is right across the river from Philly and has some nice attractions and amenities of its own. The housing stock is ripe for reinvestment and, dare I say, gentrification. It's not far from the Jersey beaches and has a centralized East Coast location. Camden will bounce back waaaayyyy before Youngstown.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I would take New Castle County DE over Camden County. Mercer would be also be a much better choice. Most of SJ is already a drag on the Philadelphia area.
How so? Really only Camden is a drag because of the high crime. Otherwise a large swath of SJ is rural; the beaches are a nice regional amenity though.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How so? Really only Camden is a drag because of the high crime. Otherwise a large swath of SJ is rural; the beaches are a nice regional amenity though.
Population decline, stagnant economy, highest poverty/ crime/ forclosure rates, taxes. etc.

I am not saying SJ is bad, there are some wonderful communities, but when comparing SJ counties to SEPA counties, it is clear that Montgomery, Bucks, Chester, and Delaware Counties are the powerhouse counties of the region, followed by Philadelphia, New Castle County, then SJ is at the bottom is almost every metric.

Not to say I wouldnt add Camden County to PA, but Im looking at this from a power standpoint, and what the counties contribute to a given region/ metro area, and SJ contributes the least to the Philadelphia area.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Population decline, stagnant economy, highest poverty/ crime/ forclosure rates, taxes. etc.

I am not saying SJ is bad, there are some wonderful communities, but when comparing SJ counties to SEPA counties, it is clear that Montgomery, Bucks, Chester, and Delaware Counties are the powerhouse counties of the region, followed by Philadelphia, New Castle County, then SJ is at the bottom is almost every metric.

Not to say I wouldnt add Camden County to PA, but Im looking at this from a power standpoint, and what the counties contribute to a given region/ metro area, and SJ contributes the least to the Philadelphia area.
I agree that the SEPA counties are in better shape but outside of Camden, I think you're exaggerating a bit when it comes to SJ. Let's not act like everywhere else in the Philly region is booming like Dallas except SJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.