Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 01:39 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times

Advertisements

For New Jersey, I'd say:

New York County, NY
Kings County, NY
Queens County, NY
Bronx County, NY
Philadelphia County, PA

That adds about 385 square miles and 9.6 million people to the state. The total would be 18.5 million people in 7,700 sq miles, or 2400 people per sq mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 02:02 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Well this is dead inaccurate.

Morgantown, WV is actually growing and so too in Mon County. Morgantown has had a +15.9% increase in population since 2000, and Mon County at +25% growth since 2000. Both are expected to continue to grow over the next 20 years due to growth at WVU/education, healthcare, technology, and pharmaceutical sectors. Morgantown is considered one of the premier growing small cities in the country.

Camden, NJ is a war zone that rivals Syria or Yemen!
Dude, you can't say west Virginia is going well economically in good conscious. WVU is expanding sure, but Monongalia county has so few people outside of Morgantown and it's a large county. If 3,000 people move to Morgantown it can easily sway the numbers to make it look like the whole area is doing well. I'm rooting for it, Morgantown is the bright spot in WV - but I just wouldn't add it to PA, sorry maybe if I had 10 choices but just not 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
He's right about Youngstown though.

Clearly there's a serious crime problem there, but there are also some good things happening there as well. It's only a matter of time before it turns around...it's inevitable. It has too many built-in advantages.
Youngstown is (per cap) nearly as bad as Detroit economically, if not worse. I was there last week. It's sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I would take New Castle County DE over Camden County. Mercer would be also be a much better choice. Most of SJ is already a drag on the Philadelphia area.
See my first choice for a county to add to PA.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:05 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I would take New Castle County DE over Camden County. Mercer would be also be a much better choice. Most of SJ is already a drag on the Philadelphia area.
More so than Fayette, Lawrence, and Armstrong are on Pittsburgh? Lol. And they are in PA. I should start a thread "which counties would you shed from your state?"

#1 for PA- Fayette

Old 07-19-2017, 02:58 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
For New Jersey, I'd say:

New York County, NY
Kings County, NY
Queens County, NY
Bronx County, NY
Philadelphia County, PA

That adds about 385 square miles and 9.6 million people to the state. The total would be 18.5 million people in 7,700 sq miles, or 2400 people per sq mile.
Why would you exclude Staten Island? That's probably the most Jersey-like borough of New York.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:22 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Why would you exclude Staten Island? That's probably the most Jersey-like borough of New York.
Our reputation is bad enough already.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
There's literally not a respectable county worth annexing adjacent to Colorado...

Nice work on the OP though!
Agreed. Plus it would ruin our shape!

Old 07-19-2017, 06:25 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Our reputation is bad enough already.
Lol, well played.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:13 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Dude, you can't say west Virginia is going well economically in good conscious. WVU is expanding sure, but Monongalia county has so few people outside of Morgantown and it's a large county. If 3,000 people move to Morgantown it can easily sway the numbers to make it look like the whole area is doing well. I'm rooting for it, Morgantown is the bright spot in WV - but I just wouldn't add it to PA, sorry
My hunch is that you haven't witnessed Morgantown's growth over the last decade. It is not anything to sneeze at for a city its size. In fact, there is currently talks of a Fortune 500 company locating a regional HQ there. WVU has invested over a billion dollars into its facilities, and Mylan Pharmaceuticals continues to prosper in the area. Ruby Mermorial partnered with WVU Medicine is quickly becoming one of the best hospitals. Plus The I-79 Tech corridor along with WVU have attracted some big operations by the FBI, NIOSH, NASA, Boeing, and Lockheed Martin. The Natural gas industry is also huge in Mon county. Just saying!

But why one earth would WV ever give up one of its better performing counties?

Old 07-22-2017, 12:32 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
LOL! Okay, Ill bite.

As an Atlantan, these are my choices.

Leon County, FL - Home of Tallahassee, a beautiful Southern city with more amenities than it should have for its size due to being fairly far from large Metro's. Being the Capital of Florida and home to FSU and Florida A&M, it's pretty progressive politically and growth-wise and has been blue for decades.

Hamilton County, TN - Home of Chattanooga, enough said.

Macon County, NC - Home of Franklin & Highlands. This is one of the nicest Counties in the Southern Appalachians, with Highlands being one of the most desirable and affluent resort towns in the Southeast. Drop-dead gorgeous location, with average elevations above 4,000 feet and average Summer temps in the 70's.

Beaufort County, SC - This gorgeous Low Country County home to Beaufort & Hilton Head Island is directly across the Savannah River from Downtown Savannah, and is a natural extension of their Metro. Even though they share an Airport, of course the Census Bureau considers them as separate entities. The Great Santini & The Prince of Tides were largely filmed around Beaufort, giving a glimpse of the beauty there. Hilton Head is a well known second home, retirement & tourism hub.

Nassau County, FL - Home of Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach. This gorgeous island and very cool town is part of Metro Jacksonville, but feels like an extension of Georgia's coastal barrier islands more so than anything to its south within Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Great list, JM. I might add Aiken County, SC as well; having beautiful Aiken, SC within our borders would be another feather in our cap.
And unfortunately, you would have to get through the oddly gerrymandered Jasper County, SC to stake your claim on Beaufort.
Yes, to all of these. Plus, Duval County, FL...home of Jacksonville, "The Capital of South Georgia."

Also, Lee County, AL (along with a sliver of Russell County to get all of Phenix City).

We would get Auburn U. and help out Metro Columbus.

Last edited by aries4118; 07-22-2017 at 12:41 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 12:50 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Illinois:

St. Louis City, Missouri
St. Louis County, Missouri
St. Charles County, Missouri
Jefferson County, Missouri
Lake County, Indiana

I'm adding the majority of metro St. Louis to Illinois for a few reasons. First, St. Louis would likely see better policies under Illinois than Missouri. For all of Illinois' financial woes, its politicians are more so focused on cities rather than rural areas. St. Louis has been suffering for ages with Missouri's rural interest dominated legislature. Second, bringing St. Louis over to Illinois would unify the split metro area, as the Mississippi is currently serving as the state line. Third, metro St. Louis would be able to help serve as a counterweight to Chicago's dominance. St. Louis is obviously far smaller than Chicago, but there's no other metro region in Illinois that can compete with St. Louis' size, let alone Chicago's. It would do a far better job than what Illinois' cities have been able to do thus far.

As for Lake County, Indiana, I decided bringing it in so it could help better unify Chicagoland. It's not the most desirable area, but it could help bring additional focus to northwest Indiana that's currently sparse. When Chicagoans talk about their suburbs, Indiana, which actually borders the South Side, is almost never mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.