U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 11:37 PM

7 posts, read 3,158 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently researching areas to relocate next summer to with my two sons. I think we have narrowed it down to either Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Nashville, Hampton, or Jacksonville,however Charlotte and Nashville is leading. Nevertheless, those areas are not written in stone because the most important driving forces in our decision are job availability, cost of living, and livability.

Therefore, I am hoping for information considering the life of teachers in these areas. I have been on different websites but most of the comments in reference to the data listed has been unflattering. I am hoping for honesty. I am a newly divorced single parent therefore I need to be able to afford my bills and have time for my sons. I am a seasoned social studies/social science teacher and department chair w/ a master in curriculum instruction.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 07:56 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,196,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logic101 View Post
Hello,

I am currently researching areas to relocate next summer to with my two sons. I think we have narrowed it down to either Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Nashville, Hampton, or Jacksonville,however Charlotte and Nashville is leading. Nevertheless, those areas are not written in stone because the most important driving forces in our decision are job availability, cost of living, and livability.

Therefore, I am hoping for information considering the life of teachers in these areas. I have been on different websites but most of the comments in reference to the data listed has been unflattering. I am hoping for honesty. I am a newly divorced single parent therefore I need to be able to afford my bills and have time for my sons. I am a seasoned social studies/social science teacher and department chair w/ a master in curriculum instruction.

The Atlanta metro area is aggressively looking for teachers right now: Georgia school districts challenged to fill all teaching posts.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:51 AM

3,819 posts, read 5,202,263 times
Pay is the main drawback in North Carolina. Pay scales are state mandated and pay is low overall. Most districts offer a supplement. Charlotte's was $6k per year when I taught in the greater Charlotte area. Compared the the $2k per year I received in a rural county.
In NC, you will find it easier to make ends meet in the smaller cities and more rural areas. The cost of living in Charlotte and Raleigh is high in relation to the rest of the state. (Still low compared to New England, the west coast, and other places, but high.)

Now, pay-wise, I found less deductions coming out of my check in NC compared to MI. As an employee, my health insurance premium was covered 100%. (Family plans do cost out of pocket.) No union dues. When I moved to Michigan, I made $10K more on paper, but brought home only a few hundred dollars more per year.

Unless things have changed, you are only paid once per month in NC. Budgeting is crucial.

I very much enjoyed teaching in NC. More so than in MI. I taught elementary, but class sizes were smaller. We had way more technology in the classrooms. No school of choice, so the goal was not to pack as many kids into each classroom as possible. By the district looking at kids as students instead of paychecks, I was able to teach more freely.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:31 PM

7 posts, read 3,158 times
Wow, once a month in NC! Thank you for the in information... I have never had to budget on one pay check a month, therefore that is something that really needs to be considered.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:22 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,505,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
The Atlanta metro area is aggressively looking for teachers right now: Georgia school districts challenged to fill all teaching posts.
Yeah, there was a story on the news last night showing Cobb County throwing a pep rally for their 1,100 new hires.

I have several friends here that are teachers, one of which came up from Ft. Lauderdale when he was recruited by Gwinnett County. He wishes he had made the move years ago, and said the difference between teaching in South Florida and here is night & day. He also makes quite a bit more.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:01 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,202,263 times
Quote:
Wow, once a month in NC! Thank you for the in information... I have never had to budget on one pay check a month, therefore that is something that really needs to be considered.
When I first started, it was 10 checks a year. Getting paid over the summer was not an option. By the time I left (summer 2013), you could choose 12 checks a year.
It took adjusting at first. Especially the two months without checks
But, I got used to it. I had every bill due the first. (You get paid the last working day of the month.) That way, all of my bills were paid. I just had to stretch for everything else.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:41 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Hello,

Jacksonville is booming economically and it's not due to any of the unflattering data or trolling stereotypes that have been bandied about on this website or others. It's a young city (average age around 34) with a diverse economy and many young professionals with families moving there creating a need for more educators. One of the perks you might find as an educator is the fact that first and second-rated school districts in all of FL are located in the Jacksonville metro area (Nassau County just to the north is #1 in the state, St John's County just to the south is #2). Clay County which is just to the west (Orange Park area) is #15 (out of 67 districts) and a desirable, yet largely affordable family-friendly area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or