U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:17 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,970,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabook View Post
If money/housing/jobs were no issue, where would you prefer to live and settle?

A criteria to help you compare/elaborate:

Weather

Activities

Scenery

Diversity

Sports

Art scene

Dining/bars

Nightlife

Nearby notable areas/cities (for example LA and LV, because they're at driving distance)
On an individual basis if I was going to pick a city on one of the following...

Weather: San Francisco....I like the year round mild temps and 260 days of sunshine on average.

Activities: Los Angeles...so much to do there in terms of outdoor recreation and big city things.

Scenery: Portland, OR...it's gorgeous out there. It's green year round, the gorge is beautiful, as are the glimpses of Mount Hood and Mount Saint Helens.

Diversity: NYC...have people from all ethnic groups and doesn't seem to segregated (I could be wrong about this)

Sports: Boston...they usually have good teams in all major sports.

Art scene: Chicago...I think it's underrated in the arts.

Dining/bars: Chicago....very good food and bars that are open until 4 am.

Nightlife: Los Angeles...so much to do there and Las Vegas is only like a 4 hour drive away.

Now if I could only pick one city considering all of these factors...Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:33 AM

2,153 posts, read 2,661,951 times
Chicago, New York City. No others.

If I had to identify an honorable mention list, I'd put San Francisco, and perhaps Philadelphia on it.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:42 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
favorites

Chicago
New York
New Orleans

Old 07-21-2017, 11:28 AM

17,237 posts, read 19,536,382 times
There is New York, New York.

Then, there's the rest.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:42 AM

2,153 posts, read 2,661,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is New York, New York.

Then, there's the rest.

Reasonable. It is a couple of levels above any other U.S. city.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:39 PM

474 posts, read 273,093 times
Chicago is fun, lots of places to go and things to do, not hectic easy pace and easy to get around, friendly people.

New Orleans love it, so much fun, happy people, they know how to take care of the tourists probably my favorite outside of NY.

Miami, great food beautiful water beautiful people.

My favorite is NY it never stops, I work there so I know where to go and what to do.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,999,195 times
I'm not sure how you are defining urban and major city but my favorite metro is Greenville SC. It is the center of the most populated county, MSA and CSA in SC.

4 season climate with mild winters. Greenville is a little cooler than most places in south east due to elevation pushing 1000 ft and being close to Blue Ridge mountains.

reasonable cost of living, reasonable traffic, tons of retail/restaurants/golf courses, proximity to lakes and Blue Ridge mountains, and great fall color, and it smells good. There are a lot of waterfalls in the area, and the Chattooga whitewater river is 1.5 hours away. Keowee and Jocasse Lakes are clear water lakes at the base of the Blue Ridge mountains and have been called the Lake Tahoes of the east.

Downtown Greenville is vibrant with a lot of festivals, farmer markets, live music and other events on Main Street all the time. It is most aesthetically pleasing downtown in my view with hardwood trees forming a canopy over Main street. It is a great place to hang out with a ton of sidewalk, patio seating, and 30 foot drop waterfall right off Main Street with a top 10 ranked park on TripAdvisor surrounding it, Falls Park. The waterfall has a massive one of a kind floating suspension pedestrian bridge over it. There is a nice minor leage baseball park near Falls Park that is a replica of Fenway Park in Boston. The downtown has a small zoo with giraffes, lions, monkeys, etc, in a park walkable from Main Street and Falls Park.

Greenville is 2.5 hours to Charlotte and Atlanta, 3.5 to Charleston, Savannah and beaches.

Clemson University is 40 minutes way. It has SC's state botanical garden. Not to mention a great college football game atmosphere and tailgaiting experience. A lot of transplants adopt Clemson as their team when they move here.

In my view, diversity is good everywhere because everybody has unique DNA.

My favorite larger city is probably DC but housing costs are so high there and traffic is a major negative. Charlotte is solid too with two nice lakes in the metro and more reasonable cost of living and good weather.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:54 PM

10,674 posts, read 8,188,030 times
New York City, Miami, Los Angeles , Seattle

Old 07-22-2017, 03:59 PM

1,900 posts, read 829,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Minneapolis

Weather: 4 seasons

Activities: Perfect for being on the water in the summer or just riding a bike in the parks

Scenery: Lots of trees and lakes

Diversity: Diverse enough with a Nordic and Germanic heritage in the backdrop

Sports: Ehh lackluster for major league sports but great for pond hockey!

Art scene: Great art scene

Dining/bars: Lots of nice restaurants and bars plus many breweries

Nightlife: I'm more a concert than night club person so Twin Cities are fine for me in that regard. First Ave is fun

Also, besides Saint Paul its relatively close to Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago, Des Moines, Kansas City, Omaha and for nature.. the north woods and Great Lakes, and just the many lakes and rivers in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Its remote enough to find peace and quite but not so remote that its totally isolated.
Minneapolis sounds like such a great place from all I have heard and read and seen on the internet. Definitely a place I have to check out.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:41 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,967,264 times
Nyc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or