Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:17 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,247,395 times

Advertisements

I was just reading in the San Diego area they have an issue with humans defecating in public. I heard it was an issue in poor areas of New York around the 80s. Richmond Virginia doesn't have this problem. Are our homeless people better cared for or why do you think this may be an issue? Is this something I'd have to look forward to in big city living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 02:00 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,195,164 times
You see a lot of crazy things in any big city.

The other night I was on the subway in Brooklyn. It was sometime later in the night, maybe around 11-12. I looked out the window and I saw a homeless guy with his shirt off bent over with his pants pulled down and his butt against the wall and he was taking a **** on the wall!! While screaming. I just turned my head right around and pretended I never saw that as the doors closed and the train took off. That's how you gotta deal with it.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:32 AM

256 posts, read 261,733 times
Public defecation is... uhh, yeah... kind of a problem in big cities I would say. Particularly on the west coast in my observation (particularly Portland and San Francisco). Cities in general are much dirtier than what anybody living in strictly rural or suburban America would experience, with things like disease, trash on the streets, rats, and nasty, sticky seats on public transportation for example.

Still, this doesn't even come close to outweighing all the benefits of urban living, it's merely a healthy reminder of the general grossness of humanity.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:25 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,317,350 times
Part of it comes down to the availability of public restrooms. Simple, but true. I've lived in Chicago and NYC, and in both cases, there were lots of businesses that didn't even allow customers to use the restroom, much less random people off the street. So if you've gotta go.... you gotta go.

I didn't see much of this in Chicago, but it was definitely a thing in New York. And in both places, I heard stories about people who worked in retail finding poop in various parts of their stores.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:27 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,894,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I was just reading in the San Diego area they have an issue with humans defecating in public. I heard it was an issue in poor areas of New York around the 80s. Richmond Virginia doesn't have this problem. Are our homeless people better cared for or why do you think this may be an issue? Is this something I'd have to look forward to in big city living?
^^^has never set foot in Monroe Park.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:58 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,303,353 times
Quote:
It's Legal in San Francisco for people to pee/poop in public. Too many homeless to arrest for it, so it's legal now

Old 08-01-2017, 10:24 AM

2,556 posts, read 3,596,110 times
Quote:
This occurs so often in San Francisco they promote it in their tourist brochures. Slice of life type of thing.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:48 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,381,208 times
I though this is why we still have libraries.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:59 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,247,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
^^^has never set foot in Monroe Park.
Haha true

Old 08-01-2017, 01:25 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,361,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Part of it comes down to the availability of public restrooms. Simple, but true. I've lived in Chicago and NYC, and in both cases, there were lots of businesses that didn't even allow customers to use the restroom, much less random people off the street. So if you've gotta go.... you gotta go.

I didn't see much of this in Chicago, but it was definitely a thing in New York. And in both places, I heard stories about people who worked in retail finding poop in various parts of their stores.
Lol maybe that'll learn them about restricting bathroom access!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.