U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:59 PM

7,748 posts, read 6,156,857 times

Advertisements

Do rest stops count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 02:22 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,890,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Do rest stops count?
To me, yes, since I count being in that state's borders. The first time I went to NYC was 2008 on a school trip, and we stopped at a rest area in Delaware. Whether we had stopped or not, I was going to add Delaware to my roster.

Airports are finnicky, but imo rest areas and really anything else counts once you pass that sign that says "Welcome to X!"

It's funny, we're the same way with cities too. For instance we've driven through Richmond, VA before. If you ask her has she been to Richmond, she will say no. I personally say yes. Yeah we didn't get out the car, but I've still been in Richmond city limits.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:23 PM

2,827 posts, read 1,311,309 times
I trend to differentiate between states I have driven through, stayed in briefly, stayed in for more than a week and states I have lived in.

On family road trips we used to camp in western Nebraska which I count differently from Nevada which although I've driven through and flown in and out of several times but I've never stayed over in.

I also count Idaho and Texas where I have lived growing up and as an adult different from Colorado which I was born in but left as a young child and have no memories of actually living there.

Although I have visited Colorado many times over the years, I've probably spent more time that I actually remember as an adult in Alaska where I worked for over three months than in Colorado a week at a time.

I'm more familiar with Rome, Italy, than I am with any American city that I haven't lived in due to studying there in college. I know Rome much better than Houston, Austin or San Antonio even though I have been to those cities several times and Rome once, but for a longer period and lived there, temporarily.

I've flown in and out of New Jersey a few times, but I don't count that.

To me there is a big difference between driving through a place, visiting a place and living in a place.

I am a firm believer that driving through a city doesn't count as visiting and is one of the worst ways to judge a city. Highways by definition are not attractive and rarely highlight the best aspects of a place. I recently encountered a bonehead who said that my home town of Boise sucked because he had driven around it on the Interstate and got gas at the edge of town.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:32 PM

2,166 posts, read 1,467,706 times
Driving through means you've been there but doesn't mean you really know anything about the state from first hand experience, except for driving. Putting your feet on the ground is meaningless. You're not landing on the moon. You have to spend significant time for it to be worthwhile in terms of travel experience

Old 07-23-2017, 07:35 PM

187 posts, read 164,596 times
My personal view because I and some of my friends had a bit of a debate about this due to people posting those state maps on Facebook.

Doesn't count: Airport layovers because you don't interact with the land or any culture of that state. An airport is essentially a slower warp-room between different destinations.

Does count but with an asterisk beside it:
- If you drive through a state and you don't put your feet on the ground. Especially, if you only drove through a corner of it. At least you can directly observe the topography of that area by driving through it so that gives some place-human interaction by driving that you can't get from flying.
- Bus/Train Crossings

Does count: Putting your feet down on within the state lines (as long as it is not an airport). Some will say you have to stay the night or at least eat at a local restaurant in that state, but to keep it simple I just go with putting your feet down within the confines of that state.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:23 PM

5,563 posts, read 3,713,342 times
These concepts are somewhat subjective, but I will still maintain getting out of the car and spending a few bucks here or there to prove you have been there is important. Rest stops? Yeah, I get that. Atleast you left a deposit!

Old 07-23-2017, 10:44 PM

1,203 posts, read 880,606 times
About the only thing I wouldn't count is changing planes at an airport or flying above a state. If you drive through as state but don't stop, that's still good enough for me because you travelled across it at ground level.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:23 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,784,753 times
My definition: you need to step foot on the Earth in that state to count.

Transferring at the airport doesn't count.

Passing through on your car without stopping to get out also doesn't count.

Also passing through the waters of that state on your boat or cruise ship doesn't count.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:15 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,150,950 times
If I step into the state boundary, I'm counting it. Amount of time is too nebulous and squishy of a qualification.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:37 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,890,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Also passing through the waters of that state on your boat or cruise ship doesn't count.
This is interesting. I agree. I don't really pay attention to water borders. For instance when crossing from Virginia to Maryland on the Capital Beltway, I don't count being "in Maryland" after I pass the sign that's hanging halfway across the Potomac, I count "being in Maryland" once my car hits the land on the Maryland side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or