U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 03:23 PM

9,549 posts, read 9,423,459 times

Advertisements

I grew up in towns with a railroad. The town I spent most of my life in was a crew-change point for trains running between Memphis and Vicksburg, Mississippi. After years of downgrades and a change of companies, the last train passed through town in the late 1990s. Now there's a fitness trail where the tracks used to be. At least we got an old caboose last year. And the old turntable has been preserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 06:53 PM

3,515 posts, read 4,965,936 times
My town ended passenger service around 1950, but a couple of trains a day still pass thru just to haul coal to the electric power plant nearby, at the line's end. I like the charm of hearing the train whistle. A restaurant by the tracks is named "Casey Jones." A few miles up the highway is a very popular rail-trail, opened recently on the bed of a long-shuttered rail line that used to carry supplies to a defense factory.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:13 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,885,687 times
Phoenix hasn't had Amtrak since 1995. When Union Pacific bought Southern Pacific in 1996, they repurposed all of SP's lines here to prioritize more cargo/freight, the nearest Amtrak station is in Maricopa, over 40 miles from downtown Phoenix in the desert; prior to the UP takeover of SP, Amtrak went to Union Station right in Downtown Phoenix

Old 07-21-2017, 07:18 PM

5,558 posts, read 3,709,954 times
Many cities have lost passenger service over the past several decades. I rode Amtrak from Denver to Salt Lake to Boise to Portland as recently as 1987. I think it ended soon after. However, the most popular routes in the west, such as The Empire Builder, California Zephyr, and Coast Starlight still exist.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:34 AM

44,953 posts, read 36,237,009 times
We don't have any passenger trains stopping in my town anymore, but there is a very active RR about 1.5 miles from my house and I LOVE to hear that train whistle drifting across the sky. It runs mostly at night and I often hear it as I'm sitting out on my patio in the late evening. It's also possible to hear the clickety clickety sound of the wheels on the rails.

I think I've lived within the sound of a train whistle for at least 15 years and I love it. In fact, it's a selling point to me.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:32 AM

2,814 posts, read 1,309,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Many cities have lost passenger service over the past several decades. I rode Amtrak from Denver to Salt Lake to Boise to Portland as recently as 1987. I think it ended soon after. However, the most popular routes in the west, such as The Empire Builder, California Zephyr, and Coast Starlight still exist.
My uncle moved to Boise in the mid 90s. He rode Amtrak out there. Probably 1995 or 1996. I believe it was discontinued shortly after that which is a real shame.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:01 PM

9,549 posts, read 9,423,459 times
I was interested if anyone lived in a town with no railroad at all - neither passenger nor freight service.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:14 PM

5,558 posts, read 3,709,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We don't have any passenger trains stopping in my town anymore, but there is a very active RR about 1.5 miles from my house and I LOVE to hear that train whistle drifting across the sky. It runs mostly at night and I often hear it as I'm sitting out on my patio in the late evening. It's also possible to hear the clickety clickety sound of the wheels on the rails.

I think I've lived within the sound of a train whistle for at least 15 years and I love it. In fact, it's a selling point to me.
You are not alone. I feel the same way. There are certain sounds that help us realize that life is going on as normal. Train whistles (or I guess horn is the better term today). How about the sound of rain, the sound of thunder, and to a lessor degree, airplanes and even police sirens. (Though, admittedly the last two examples are less pleasant).

Old 07-22-2017, 05:26 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,517,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I was interested if anyone lived in a town with no railroad at all - neither passenger nor freight service.
No, but I do live in the 10th largest Metro in the U.S. and we are down to a whopping 2 Amtrak trains a day. One to D.C., the other to New Orleans on the old Southern RR (now Norfolk Southern) Crescent Line.

This is especially sad, considering we are the crossroads of the region and once had 2 big Downtown (and several suburban) Stations with over 200 combined passenger trains daily.

This is our Amtrak Station, formerly a suburban stop on the D.C. Line. Now it's in the heart of the City:

Last edited by JMatl; 07-22-2017 at 05:36 PM..

Old 07-23-2017, 09:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,839 posts, read 54,521,132 times
We are in a suburban city on a plateau, with no business or industry other than a couple of strip malls for our 60,000 residents. Still, we had a rail corridor along the western boundary next to our lake that served only one business in the next city. When that closed up, the railroad sold the property to the county and now it's a popular 10 mile hiking trail. I get more than my fill of trains at work, with very two active freight lines across from my office in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or