U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2017, 12:16 PM
 
26 posts, read 15,876 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Texas has the highest rate in the US of people who don't have heath insurance:

Gallup-Healthways: 2016 uninsured rates by state

And take a look at which states did not expand Medicaid. That means there's a lot of uninsured people in those states--and the list includes all your state choices except California:

A 50-State Look at Medicaid Expansion | Families USA

You really need to start paying close attention to politics!

Thank you so much ! I completely agree with you - I DO need to start paying attention to politics now. During Residency & Fellowship I had no life at all. The training was brutal. But I will now. Once again thanks a ton for the link and for the headstart. I appreciate it !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2017, 12:20 PM
 
26 posts, read 15,876 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
New Territory and Four Corners next to Sugar Land appear to also have relatively high Indian percentages.
I came across those places as well while lurking in the Houston forum alongwith Pearl Land, Missouri City, Katy. But will keep these places in mind if I get a chance to visit Houston or if we zero down on TX. Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,969 posts, read 3,293,336 times
Reputation: 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1429 View Post
I came across those places as well while lurking in the Houston forum alongwith Pearl Land, Missouri City, Katy. But will keep these places in mind if I get a chance to visit Houston or if we zero down on TX. Thank you !
Pearland.

And yes, Houston has a very large Indian population, which seems to be centered in the Sugar Land/Missouri City area. With regards to Houston, as you likely know, it's home to the largest Medical Center in the world, and consequently, the physician market can be very over saturated for some specialties. But, this tends to be limited to the Med Center only, and you don't have to work there. In fact, the biggest health systems (Methodist and Memorial Hermann) have hospitals all over the metro area. You can do pretty well for yourself working in a system in an outlying hospital without having to worry about all the traffic and hassle of the Med Center.

Regardless of where you go, I would strongly encourage you to do careful research on market saturation. You will do best for yourself by being a big fish in a small pond, but that sometimes means smaller communities than you would otherwise consider, and often that's a tradeoff you may not be willing to make. You will not get this market data from recruiters, either external or hospital based. They either don't know it, or will blow smoke just to tell you what you want to hear. They don't necessarily have your best interests in mind.

For planning, also be aware that both Texas and Florida take a full 6 months to become licensed in, unless that's changed recently. My husband is Ortho and licensed in both states, as well as CO, and we will always keep those licenses active. We moved from TX to CO and then back to TX, and I know for certain that the fact that he was already licensed in TX was a major contributing factor to him obtaining a position very quickly.

As a PP has already pointed out, FL also does not have an income tax. It is not as physician friendly a state as TX. Malpractice rates are much higher, for example. If you are looking there, consider Jacksonville. We lived there for a year while my husband did his fellowship. All the benefits of FL (including being on the water), but much lower COL than elsewhere in the state. Mayo's campus there has been around for decades and they are the premier player. Shands also has a big campus as well, iirc.

And stan4's suggestion of Plano/Frisco near Dallas are good considerations as well. Very desirable suburbs with diverse communities, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 07-22-2017 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,320 posts, read 6,989,633 times
Reputation: 3504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
If you are looking there, consider Jacksonville.
Jax could very well be what the OP is seeking, although there are many other cities in those states which might be excellent options as well. It's hard to tell...

Anyway I'll try to expound on Jax's pros and cons a bit. Definitely the lowest COL for a "major city" in those states. If your salary is strong, you can save and/or grow wealth extremely quickly here. Jax has kinda the ideal suburban family life offerings. If you are concerned about schools you go the magnet program route, private schools, or you live in the surrounding counties (St Johns is #1 in the state of FL, Nassau is #2, Clay is somewhere in the teens I think...while Duval is in the bottom third) Jax lacks a real big city feel as well as some of the truly big city amenities, but it's certainly not some tiny town either. Indian community is fairly assimilated and growing up in the 90s I probably had over a hundred friends or classmates of Indian descent. I went to a private school and then the top magnet program at the time which skews my experience a bit, but the population numbers bear it out that there's a decent community. Like I said it's fairly assimilated but there is perhaps a slightly higher concentration in the southern parts of Duval close to St Johns. Hospital options are decent as well, with Mayo well-established and undergoing a >$100 Million expansion. UF Health (which used to be called Shands) is also a major player, and MD Anderson opened here a couple years ago.

So to sum it up, if you are seeking to leave the NYC environment, Jax offers a pretty avg American experience for raising a family. Unless you are seeking something extreme, the Indian community, medical community and amenities in general should be adequate and the primary selling point is the warm weather and low COL.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 03:29 PM
 
26 posts, read 15,876 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Pearland.

And yes, Houston has a very large Indian population, which seems to be centered in the Sugar Land/Missouri City area. With regards to Houston, as you likely know, it's home to the largest Medical Center in the world, and consequently, the physician market can be very over saturated for some specialties. But, this tends to be limited to the Med Center only, and you don't have to work there. In fact, the biggest health systems (Methodist and Memorial Hermann) have hospitals all over the metro area. You can do pretty well for yourself working in a system in an outlying hospital without having to worry about all the traffic and hassle of the Med Center.

Regardless of where you go, I would strongly encourage you to do careful research on market saturation. You will do best for yourself by being a big fish in a small pond, but that sometimes means smaller communities than you would otherwise consider, and often that's a tradeoff you may not be willing to make. You will not get this market data from recruiters, either external or hospital based. They either don't know it, or will blow smoke just to tell you what you want to hear. They don't necessarily have your best interests in mind.

For planning, also be aware that both Texas and Florida take a full 6 months to become licensed in, unless that's changed recently. My husband is Ortho and licensed in both states, as well as CO, and we will always keep those licenses active. We moved from TX to CO and then back to TX, and I know for certain that the fact that he was already licensed in TX was a major contributing factor to him obtaining a position very quickly.

As a PP has already pointed out, FL also does not have an income tax. It is not as physician friendly a state as TX. Malpractice rates are much higher, for example. If you are looking there, consider Jacksonville. We lived there for a year while my husband did his fellowship. All the benefits of FL (including being on the water), but much lower COL than elsewhere in the state. Mayo's campus there has been around for decades and they are the premier player. Shands also has a big campus as well, iirc.

And stan4's suggestion of Plano/Frisco near Dallas are good considerations as well. Very desirable suburbs with diverse communities, if I'm not mistaken.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I appreciate detailed replies. It helps me visualize. I always get confused if Pearland & Sugar Land are one word or two words respectively.

I had the market saturation point in mind, but don't know how to go about getting the information. I have a little idea based on the job postings and interview calls I am getting. I skimmed thru the Plano/Frisco threads. So you suggesting that Plano/Frisco/Dallas/DFW are better options vs Sugar Land/Houston market?

If you don't mind me asking, what was your reason for moving back to TX from CO?

I researched the FL forums also, but the information is overwhelming. Too many cities to pick from - Tampa, JAX, Orlando, Jupiter, Wellington, Boca Raton. I was not getting a feel for FL in general and the cities I mentioned above like the way I got a feel of Sugar Land, Plano to name a few.

You would suggest keeping FL in the list of states to consider ?

Last edited by md1429; 07-22-2017 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 03:39 PM
 
26 posts, read 15,876 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Jax could very well be what the OP is seeking, although there are many other cities in those states which might be excellent options as well. It's hard to tell...

Anyway I'll try to expound on Jax's pros and cons a bit. Definitely the lowest COL for a "major city" in those states. If your salary is strong, you can save and/or grow wealth extremely quickly here. Jax has kinda the ideal suburban family life offerings. If you are concerned about schools you go the magnet program route, private schools, or you live in the surrounding counties (St Johns is #1 in the state of FL, Nassau is #2, Clay is somewhere in the teens I think...while Duval is in the bottom third) Jax lacks a real big city feel as well as some of the truly big city amenities, but it's certainly not some tiny town either. Indian community is fairly assimilated and growing up in the 90s I probably had over a hundred friends or classmates of Indian descent. I went to a private school and then the top magnet program at the time which skews my experience a bit, but the population numbers bear it out that there's a decent community. Like I said it's fairly assimilated but there is perhaps a slightly higher concentration in the southern parts of Duval close to St Johns. Hospital options are decent as well, with Mayo well-established and undergoing a >$100 Million expansion. UF Health (which used to be called Shands) is also a major player, and MD Anderson opened here a couple years ago.

So to sum it up, if you are seeking to leave the NYC environment, Jax offers a pretty avg American experience for raising a family. Unless you are seeking something extreme, the Indian community, medical community and amenities in general should be adequate and the primary selling point is the warm weather and low COL.

Good luck!
Thank you for the details on JAX. I really appreciate it ! To repeat what I replied to Texas Ag 93 - I researched the FL forums also, but the information was overwhelming. Too many cities to pick from - Tampa, JAX, Orlando, Jupiter, Wellington, Boca Raton. I was not getting a feel for FL in general and the cities I mentioned above like the way I got a feel of Sugar Land, Plano to name a few.

I really appreciate you giving detailed info about JAX. Any thoughts on Tampa, St. Pete's, Wellington, Jupiter, Orlando etc? We are 100% going to leave NYC. Day 1 we had decided that we are only here in NYC for my training and that it is not a permanent place we would call home.

We do not mind a moderate Indian community. But we want one where we can teach our children about our culture. I am not looking for a community where every angle I turn I see Indians. Might as well I move back home then ! I am looking for a cosmopolitan city. But as Texas Ag 93, mentioned we will have to keep the saturation point in mind and consider our trade offs between being a "big fish in a small pond or small fish in a big pond".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,969 posts, read 3,293,336 times
Reputation: 6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1429 View Post
So you suggesting that Plano/Frisco/Dallas/DFW are better options vs Sugar Land/Houston market?
I'd say many, if not most, people would recommend Frisco/Plano and Collin County suburbs in general as being the most desirable in Dallas. Lots of growth, very good schools, typical suburbia. Lots of strip malls and big box retail. This is common in the suburbs of big Texas cities.

Many, if not most, people will recommend The Woodlands and Sugar Land as the most desirable Houston suburbs, followed by Katy and Pearland. Again, good schools, typical suburbia, comparable in pros and cons to those Dallas suburbs mentioned above.

I can see your point about how prolific and disjointed the C-D Florida forums seem to be. I mentioned Jax because it flies so far under most people's radar. It's more like Southern GA and the South in general than any other FL city. This could be a pro or con to you. I don't think many people would say it compares favorably overall to somewhere larger like Tampa, but it's a nice town, and it has a good health care community. projectmaximus elaborated well.

I sent you a PM with some additional thoughts.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 07-22-2017 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 06:36 AM
 
21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times
Reputation: 19674
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1429 View Post
I am a Cardiologist (new grad) and my wife is currently a stay at home parent. We have 3 children (2, 4 & 6 years old). Our strong preference is good schools, weather, large city (with easy access to an international airport), Indian community (before anyone says that we should learn to assimilate into the US culture etc, etc, just want to put it out there, that we want our children to learn about our Indian culture as well. We moved here 7 years ago and have no family at all, hence the need to be close to our culture. We want cultural diversity AS WELL). We have selected the above states based on the weather (do not prefer extended periods of cold climate) only, so if someone can chime in reg schools, safety, etc, it can help us a lot in narrowing our list down.

I have a lot of questions, regarding schools, buying a house, choosing a community etc. But first thing first, we need to narrow it down to the states and then the cities within that state to relocate. What would be a good state for a high-income medical professional (HENRY), with excellent schools (public & private) and good Indian communities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Texas has the highest rate in the US of people who don't have heath insurance:

Gallup-Healthways: 2016 uninsured rates by state

And take a look at which states did not expand Medicaid. That means there's a lot of uninsured people in those states--and the list includes all your state choices except California:

A 50-State Look at Medicaid Expansion | Families USA

You really need to start paying close attention to politics!
I agree with nightlysparrow and would give some serious pause to states like Texas and Florida who seem especially prone to politicizing the health insurance coverage in terms of drastic cutbacks in funding and lack of options in the state marketplace for affordable insurance coverage, especially since both states are near the bottom in terms of average household income. California is a good option though obviously quite expensive outside of possibly the Sacramento area or less populated areas inland.

Since you're considering NC you might also take a close look at Maryland which is not to far off in terms of climate and as a state has decided on expanding Medicaid benefits, along with somewhat affordable places to live that are safe/family-friendly with excellent public schools (Maryland has one of the highest rated school systems in the US) and a sizable presence of Indian culture/community. Check out the Lutherville-Timonium area about 30 minutes due north of Baltimore, which should open up all kinds of work options in the city or northern suburbs. There is also a sizable enough Indian community throughout the nearby northern Baltimore suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,580 posts, read 52,760,258 times
Reputation: 70903
Given that most of a cardiologist's patients are likely to be on Medicare (and the fact that the health industry is HUGE in Texas), I think you are overstating the whole political thing.

We are getting docs in here by the droves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 09:36 AM
 
21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times
Reputation: 19674
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Given that most of a cardiologist's patients are likely to be on Medicare (and the fact that the health industry is HUGE in Texas), I think you are overstating the whole political thing.

We are getting docs in here by the droves.
Which is something else to consider as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top