Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 10:26 AM

75 posts, read 64,909 times

Advertisements

Hello CD folks,

This is my first post on the forum. We are looking for some guidance. Currently, we are in NY and are looking to relocate. The thing is we are not sure which state. After reading a lot of posts on this forum, and from the limited information we have gathered, we are strongly considering Texas, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida & California.

I am a Cardiologist (new grad) and my wife is currently a stay at home parent. We have 3 children (2, 4 & 6 years old). Our strong preference is good schools, weather, large city (with easy access to an international airport), Indian community (before anyone says that we should learn to assimilate into the US culture etc, etc, just want to put it out there, that we want our children to learn about our Indian culture as well. We moved here 7 years ago and have no family at all, hence the need to be close to our culture. We want cultural diversity AS WELL). We have selected the above states based on the weather (do not prefer extended periods of cold climate) only, so if someone can chime in reg schools, safety, etc, it can help us a lot in narrowing our list down.

I have a lot of questions, regarding schools, buying a house, choosing a community etc. But first thing first, we need to narrow it down to the states and then the cities within that state to relocate. What would be a good state for a high-income medical professional (HENRY), with excellent schools (public & private) and good Indian communities?

Places that we have in mind are:
TX: (Strong preference plus it has the advantage of no state income tax).
Houston - Sugar Land, The Woodlands (have read a lot on Houston)
Dallas - Plano, Frisco, ??
Austin - ??
San Antonio

NC: Charlotte, Raleigh, Cary (Have visited NC and it's...nice. All 4 seasons, access to beach and mountains.)

GA: No clue.

FL: No clue at all. Maybe Tampa, Orlando? Skeptical about Fl, because we are not sure about the school system. Read quite a few threads on this forum but, there are too many cities to choose from and have not got a good impression about FL overall as compared to TX. Also, I am aware that FL is a no state income tax state.

CA: NO CLUE AT ALL !!!

I will ask more questions as we narrow down our choices. Please let me know if I need to provide any more info; this is all I could think to write as of this moment. Should I post this in individual TX, NC, FL forums?

Thank you.
MD.

Last edited by md1429; 07-22-2017 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 10:32 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
If you are looking for Indian communities,in CA, Fremont is known for a large Indian population, but as part of the Bay Area, it is expensive. Yuba City is fairly close to Sacramento, Ca & has an Asian Indian population of 20%. Not sure of the job prospects.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:36 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
No preference for a Red or Blue state? This factor is currently having an impact on health insurance---your income.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
No preference for a Red or Blue state? This factor is currently having an impact on health insurance---your income.

Can you elaborate, please? Was so busy studying all my life that have not got time at all to look in detail, into politics. What would be better Red or Blue? I know, I a not considered a new immigrant, but these past 7 years all I have been doing is studying, working crazy 12 - 14 hours shifts and raising my family that I do not get time at all to do anything else.

In spite of that will the situation for health insurance change after 4 years OR 8 years, after Trump leaves? It may or may not change if someone new is elected as well.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:45 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Frisco/Plano sounds exactly right for you.

-stan4 (Indian M.D. with SAHW and kids)

Old 07-22-2017, 11:27 AM

54 posts, read 63,643 times
What are your reasons for wanting to leave NY? Asking yourself that question will probably help you lean towards a few of the states in your list over the others.

For example, Texas is very different from California. Economically, Texas is more free, less regulation, faster growing economy. So Texas should stand out if you're leaving NY because living there is too expensive, or if you dislike over-regulated over-reaching government. Going to California would just be more taxes, more limits on what you can do etc.

On the other hand, if you're leaving NY because you want a temperate climate, with neither cold winters nor sweltering summers, you might lean towards California.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:27 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Good luck OP. you may already know but Florida does not have an income tax either.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:35 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
New Territory and Four Corners next to Sugar Land appear to also have relatively high Indian percentages.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:59 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Texas has the highest rate in the US of people who don't have heath insurance:

Gallup-Healthways: 2016 uninsured rates by state

And take a look at which states did not expand Medicaid. That means there's a lot of uninsured people in those states--and the list includes all your state choices except California:

A 50-State Look at Medicaid Expansion | Families USA

You really need to start paying close attention to politics!

Old 07-22-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlizzardsAndSuch View Post
What are your reasons for wanting to leave NY? Asking yourself that question will probably help you lean towards a few of the states in your list over the others.

For example, Texas is very different from California. Economically, Texas is more free, less regulation, faster growing economy. So Texas should stand out if you're leaving NY because living there is too expensive, or if you dislike over-regulated over-reaching government. Going to California would just be more taxes, more limits on what you can do etc.

On the other hand, if you're leaving NY because you want a temperate climate, with neither cold winters nor sweltering summers, you might lean towards California.

NY is nice, but it's not for us for sure. Had I been single or just the 2 of us (wife & I), then it would have been good. But with kids and the climate, we are not very fond of NY. The reasons are - weather, very crowded, expensive, congested, we are not happy with our kid's school here. Though there is a lot of diversity, it's not the type we are looking for. We do not want a big city hustle bustle life.

We are familiar with Charlotte, NC (Ballantyne area, bec my wife's friends are there). Hence Sugar Land, Plano caught our eyes.

What I am trying to do here is, eliminate the states - TX, NC, CA, FL, GA on the basis of schools and beneficial for high-income earners/medical professionals. Weather wise they are "somewhat" alike as in they do not have excessive snow/harsh winters. We do not mind mild winters like those in NC & TX (Dallas).

Once I eliminate states and I am left with 2 or 3 states, I can then post in the individual forums and take it from there. I have read a lot on Houston and a little bit on Dallas. I know a few things here and there about NC. But I am clueless about FL, GA & CA.

CA I am not leaning towards more, bec of the COL. Some people may wonder why should COL bother me when I am/will be a high-income earner. For starters, I am a HENRY = High-Income Earner, Not Rich yet :-). Also, my reasoning is that if I can get the same standard of living in TX or NC, then why move to CA? Anyways we do not have any family ties, so we can settle anywhere.

Last edited by md1429; 07-22-2017 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.