Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 04:15 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
All of the neighborhoods I mentioned are outside of DT proper and have a gritty vibe to them. There are a couple more I could mention as well.
If we're talking about Gritty neighborhoods to Southern standards, then I can see it. Still though most of those areas have too much greenery and not enough wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 05:04 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
If we're talking about Gritty neighborhoods to Southern standards, then I can see it. Still though most of those areas have too much greenery and not enough wear.
That's not true of Castleberry Hill, Sweet Auburn, and Edgewood at the least. That would apply to most of the streetcar suburban neighborhoods, of which these are not.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:16 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graterdaze View Post
Little Five Points in Atlanta.
Between the late 1980''s and the early 2000' s Little Five Points in Atlanta was a place where Neo Nazi Skinheads would hangout and hurl insults and carry out violent assaults on black people, gay people, and white people who they saw as racially tolerant. If that's a gritty neighborhood, it has to be the most anomalous one in the South.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:53 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Between the late 1980''s and the early 2000' s Little Five Points in Atlanta was a place where Neo Nazi Skinheads would hangout and hurl insults and carry out violent assaults on black people, gay people, and white people who they saw as racially tolerant. If that's a gritty neighborhood, it has to be the most anomalous one in the South.
I too do not agree with some of the Atlanta hoods being characterized as gritty; Little Five being one of them. I guess it has a slight grit, but "gritty" is not the first (or second) word that comes to mind when I play word association with Little Five Points...

Old 07-30-2017, 12:32 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
Interesting thread... I'd say that speaking as someone from outside of the U.S., "gritty" urban neighbourhoods only seem to exist in large cities in the northeastern U.S., at least judging by the detective shows I've seen.

I've heard of the 9th Ward in New Orleans, but that's about it. Surely large cities like Baltimore, Atlanta, Miami, etc. have areas that would lend themselves to a gritty "film noir"?

Old 07-31-2017, 08:53 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I too do not agree with some of the Atlanta hoods being characterized as gritty; Little Five being one of them. I guess it has a slight grit, but "gritty" is not the first (or second) word that comes to mind when I play word association with Little Five Points...
I agree and this is why I did not list L5P.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:13 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
While some Northern cities having parts of town that have a "gritty" feel or even decay in parts, Southern cities are generally viewed as being newer and more generic or sterile. what are some parts of Southern cities that come to mind in terms of having more a "gritty" feel to them?
Macon, GA. is Gritt City, especially on the Cities Southside. Along Houston Ave., Broadway on the back side going over to 7th St. by all the, Rail Yards, Old industrial areas were back in the day. Old iron mills, plants, etc. as well as rundown Dilapidated homes in the area if they haven't been torn down. Downtown Macon is in a Mist of New Loft development so areas close by are changing for the better.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:28 PM

10 posts, read 6,993 times
Charleston, WV, on the margins of the South, can have a grittyness reminiscent of it's more northern Rust Belt neighbors:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3670...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3651...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3636...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old 08-01-2017, 11:46 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
While some Northern cities having parts of town that have a "gritty" feel or even decay in parts, Southern cities are generally viewed as being newer and more generic or sterile. what are some parts of Southern cities that come to mind in terms of having more a "gritty" feel to them?
Odessa, TX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.