U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 03:33 PM

59 posts, read 28,567 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've decided the USA would be a better place for me as I never feel quite right in Europe. Either the locals are too negative (never smiling), the customer service is terrible or the standard of living is poor. I don't care about history and buildings at all that much, in fact I like modernism. From the more classic architecture, I prefer the Dutch, Portuguese and Spanish schools. Also for houses, I like Dutch brick houses and roads. I value good roads/infrastructure.

I love good/friendly customer service, small talk, wide roads, lots of space, wide areas, cars... sounds just like the USA, ay? I prefer flat areas and valleys or areas where the hills are not very tall and not occupying the whole city (half hilly/half flat is fine). Why? Because I like to be able to see the horizon in the city edges, so I don't dig very high mountains (I feel crushed by them and also in European tight city center streets surrounded by buildings). I need space.

The thing is I want a city that is not too violent, where crime is not rampant and not in an earthquake-prone zone. My values are moderately liberal, not really into politics. I would prefer extroverted, friendly locals, I'm not fond of reserved societies. I'm spiritual, so far non-religious, but I would become a Protestant or Catholic if I love/fit in the area as a way to become part of the local community. When it comes to nature I like water and I love cottonwood trees/poplars (I lived and worked in the Netherlands). However, I also enjoy wide areas of golden wheat fields or/and lush valleys. I prefer warm weather, with summers of ideally no more than 35F (depends if the water bodies make the city cooler or if it's dry; hot and too humid is terrible) and if possible winters not colder than 23F (ideally not less than 32F). Not very fond of snow, I prefer foggy/rainy/dry/cloudy winters that are not too chilly, with some clear sky days if possible. Natural disasters I prefer to avoid: hurricanes/tornadoes, but I totally fear earthquakes (I had a PTSD after one in Greece).

I have an American degree in Business Administration/Marketing and an European one in Communication/Social Media. I might take a course in computer security as it might make me more desirable. I was lucky enough to get a job in an American company in delivery sales here in the EU. I smile "too much" for an European and expect the same from others but people here always ask me why am I smiling and their dour faces make me depressed. I'm very easy to assimilate and embrace a new place/culture but in places where locals are reserved I feel excluded so I lose my enthusiasm!

So far I have researched a lot and some names always seem to pop up:
Chicago, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Denver CO, Houston TX, Dallas and Salt Lake City. My company has offices in those plus: Indianapolis, IN; Minneapolis; Meridian, Idaho; Bentonville, AR; Atlanta, Georgia; Austin, TX; Arlington, VA...

So can you please guide me to a city that matches my criteria the closest. I hope some of these on my list are close enough. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 09:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,428,298 times
Are you an American citizen? Because if you're not, unless your parents are living here, you just can't move to the US as an immigrant.

Maybe your company is willing to transfer you? That is a chance. Your degrees won't help you, they are not in demand and there are plenty of Americans that are available to fill those jobs. If you get into the IT field, a bachelor's degree won't do---you'd need at least a master's to be competitive. You didn't specify which country you're in, but some may offer the Diversity Visa lottery.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:43 PM

59 posts, read 28,567 times
Isn't a certificate from a coding/IT course more important? It sure is in Europe, here no one cares if you have an IT degree, as long as you're good in coding or security or whatever.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:02 AM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
If I'm reading your post correctly you want a city that
  • is flat
  • is warm/hot
  • is not very dense/urban
  • is car-dependent
  • has little-to-no history

Your dream city is: Dallas (with Houston running a close second)

Old 07-23-2017, 09:28 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
If it was me, I'd choose Denver. Dallas or Salt Lake City would be next. Denver is a bit expensive for the US, so take that into consideration. I'm not an east coast guy.

Denver is flat, good wide open suburbs. 4 distinct seasons and it does get hot in the summer. But there are always the mountains to get lost in if one desires it. Politically Denver is center left and local people are friendly. It's not a very religious place, but not anti religious either. Head east out of Denver and you'll be in the Great Plains. All the flat land one could ever desire and boy does it get hot in the summer. The wheat fields can be quite beautiful during harvest season.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:07 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,428,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daro View Post
Isn't a certificate from a coding/IT course more important? It sure is in Europe, here no one cares if you have an IT degree, as long as you're good in coding or security or whatever.
You don't understand how a visa works. If you want to immigrate---permanently---you can only immigrate with these categories:

A family visa (your USC parents, USC child over 21 sponsor you); marriage visa; special talent visa (be a famous movie star or athlete or other famous person); investor visa of $500,000 (yes, at least half a million dollars ) to start a business here that employs 10 Americans; or win the visa lottery. That's all!

All other types of visas do not allow permanent residency! These are:

Student visas (you must pay all your tuition up front--and you are not allowed to work), work visas (a US company must offer you a job and pays all the legal expenses), tourist visas (not allowed to work)---these are only temporary visas and you will have to return to your country.

Regarding a work visa (H1-B visa) you would have to contact American companies to see if any would offer you a job. It will cost them about $12,000 to bring you here. The MINIMUM degree is a bachelor's, and companies must show that they cannot find an American first to do the job.

Read the rules:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...018-cap-season

Old 07-23-2017, 11:55 AM

2,783 posts, read 1,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daro View Post
From my understanding that's true for American citizens, not so much for European immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or