U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 02:38 PM

6,079 posts, read 3,404,486 times

Advertisements

Well I'm moving to the North from the South, and I am gay, politically I guess I can describe myself as a "classical liberal" but if anything, I'm more independent and honestly skeptical of political parties and identity politics especially, but neither my sexual orientation or political outlooks are relevant in the end. I mean yes, Minnesota is 10x better for gay people than Texas is, but there's some political aspects that Texas has that I prefer over Minnesota's. I sure ain't moving to have a state income tax.

But the reasons I wanna move up north have more to do with my personal preferences. I just like it better up there. I like 4 distinct seasons with winters that get snow and leaves that change closer to Halloween than Thanksgiving. I like having lakes everywhere and lots of woods too. I like the pine trees, birch trees and maple trees that would not grow in Texas but thrive in the upper Midwest. I like the idea that on most winter days, when I have time to myself, I can hop on down to a frozen pond, put on some skates and spend a few hours doing laps on the ice.

None of this has to do with the fact that I have zero interest in sex involving vaginas or on my opinion on healthcare, though those things may be perks. If the lifestyle and scenery of the South was more up my alley, I wouldn't head up north. I wanna be where I'm happiest and my sexuality is only one part of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 04:44 PM

2,141 posts, read 777,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Well I'm moving to the North from the South, and I am gay, politically I guess I can describe myself as a "classical liberal" but if anything, I'm more independent and honestly skeptical of political parties and identity politics especially, but neither my sexual orientation or political outlooks are relevant in the end. I mean yes, Minnesota is 10x better for gay people than Texas is, but there's some political aspects that Texas has that I prefer over Minnesota's. I sure ain't moving to have a state income tax.

But the reasons I wanna move up north have more to do with my personal preferences. I just like it better up there. I like 4 distinct seasons with winters that get snow and leaves that change closer to Halloween than Thanksgiving. I like having lakes everywhere and lots of woods too. I like the pine trees, birch trees and maple trees that would not grow in Texas but thrive in the upper Midwest. I like the idea that on most winter days, when I have time to myself, I can hop on down to a frozen pond, put on some skates and spend a few hours doing laps on the ice.

None of this has to do with the fact that I have zero interest in sex involving vaginas or on my opinion on healthcare, though those things may be perks. If the lifestyle and scenery of the South was more up my alley, I wouldn't head up north. I wanna be where I'm happiest and my sexuality is only one part of me.
I saw no difference in how gay people are treated when i lived in Charleston/Dallas than I did when I lived in CT/San Diego. The only minor difference was people in CT/San Diego spoke about identity more and people in Charleston/Dallas were just kind of live and let live. Might be different in super rural areas but I doubt you're going to be living there.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:18 PM

6,079 posts, read 3,404,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
I saw no difference in how gay people are treated when i lived in Charleston/Dallas than I did when I lived in CT/San Diego. The only minor difference was people in CT/San Diego spoke about identity more and people in Charleston/Dallas were just kind of live and let live. Might be different in super rural areas but I doubt you're going to be living there.
Its not about the "way we're treated" but rather the laws themselves. Right here in Texas we're not a protected class and can be fired or denied service on the basis of our sexuality, this is not the case in Minnesota. Btw I lived in rural Texas and had no problem being gay, however the fact the state has laws like that on the book is a problem, even if they're not enforced, the fact they can be, is an issue.

I am gonna be living in Saint Paul, but I wouldn't mind or object to living in a small town in Minnesota when I am older. I actually like small town living, I just don't like the gossip though. And the town I lived in was pretty dusty and economically depressed. It had an old west vibe which was cool but nothing to do and no real jobs. If I find a town like Stars Hollow in Minnesota, I'm down!

Old 07-24-2017, 07:02 PM

3,516 posts, read 4,973,407 times
Black southerners for a long time were much more open to moving to northern cities, while white southerners were not. But in recent years, northern blacks are now more willing to move south.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:08 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,748,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
I would disagree because, despite your political views/sexual orientation, things such as COL, weather, and over crowdedness are pushing people from northeastern states like NY, NJ, and CT to southern states faster than people from southern states moving because of being liberal and wanting to fit in in a "bluer" state.
NY isn't actually over-crowded.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 PM

626 posts, read 576,952 times
Probably a lot of Southerners in places like NYC and Boston for economical/work reasons. This is still dwarfed by northerners moving to the south though, the south is just booming at the moment.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:29 AM

13,424 posts, read 16,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeKing5 View Post
Be honest: I know the South is the Sun Belt yet I feel like there are just as many people moving up North from the South. I'd say mostly liberals and LGBT. Is that correct?
No

Old 07-25-2017, 05:52 AM

7,828 posts, read 12,348,810 times
Quote:
Not in all cases though, SC, GA, and even FL which all receive a huge influx of northerners moving there still have a big conservative voter turnout. Not everyone from the north is a liberal (thankfully).
Yes the people i know who moved to Georgia and South Carolina from northern states, mostly middle age or retired people, are far more conservative than your average voter from inner city Atlanta, and they vote in every election.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:40 AM

406 posts, read 290,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
NY isn't actually over-crowded.
The areas that most New Yorkers live in, like myself, that are moving down south are over crowded (Long Island, the city, etc.)

Old 07-25-2017, 08:06 AM

9,528 posts, read 13,476,565 times
Quote:
The areas that most New Yorkers live in, like myself, that are moving down south are over crowded (Long Island, the city, etc.)
There's a reason people want to live in NYC/LI though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or