U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:43 AM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
The areas that most New Yorkers live in, like myself, that are moving down south are over crowded (Long Island, the city, etc.)
Cookie does make a good point, as much of the state isn't crowded and is actually just as affordable, if not more so, than the areas of the South people are moving to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 09:25 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Cookie does make a good point, as much of the state isn't crowded and is actually just as affordable, if not more so, than the areas of the South people are moving to.
Depending on where you live the land taxes can be brutal here, but that's generally just anywhere near a lake.

Otherwise, yeah. Upstate is mostly just an average small town state like most of America. It can be a little business-xenophobic though. I kinda wish Sheetz could open up here and I utterly long for a nearby IHOP. There are so many brands that either only exist in the big cities, or not at all in NY for some reason.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:34 PM

1,011 posts, read 638,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Also what makes you believe the blue states that people are fleeing wont go red? We've already seen it happen in Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Iowa, West Virginia. These older industrial union areas that have lots of net outmigration are getting rid of their unions, lowering taxes, and their situations by in large are improving, especially Michigan. I don't see why this trend couldn't extend to other older industrial areas like CT, RI, PA, Maryland.
As time goes on, Northern states are going to become more Republican than Southern states; we observed this trend in the most recent presidential election cycle.

As the Sun Belt states become increasingly browner due to immigration from Asia and Latin America as well as the reverse Great Migration (i.e., African-Americans migrating back to the South from the North and West), this region of America that spans from coast to coast will inventively become more Democratic (although not necessarily more liberal, since brown and black people are not liberal by nature).

On the other hand, northern states such as IN, KY and OH, for example, whose populations are and will continue to be mostly white will more than likely become home to the future base of the Republican party.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:56 AM

6,507 posts, read 7,452,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
As time goes on, Northern states are going to become more Republican than Southern states; we observed this trend in the most recent presidential election cycle.

As the Sun Belt states become increasingly browner due to immigration from Asia and Latin America as well as the reverse Great Migration (i.e., African-Americans migrating back to the South from the North and West), this region of America that spans from coast to coast will inventively become more Democratic (although not necessarily more liberal, since brown and black people are not liberal by nature).

On the other hand, northern states such as IN, KY and OH, for example, whose populations are and will continue to be mostly white will more than likely become home to the future base of the Republican party.
I agree with you but I'm gonna bet every resident of Kentucky who reads this will cringe at being called a northern state. I know that most of them do not consider themselves to be northern, and most northern people would not accept them as northern either. I guess it depends on where you are in Kentucky how Southern they are. TN border?? Very southern......Cincinnati burbs not so much. A lot of grey area no doubt. Your right though that parts of the south are becoming less republican. Virginia and North Carolina are in danger of becoming liberal. Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia will be red for decades though.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Depending on where you live the land taxes can be brutal here, but that's generally just anywhere near a lake.

Otherwise, yeah. Upstate is mostly just an average small town state like most of America. It can be a little business-xenophobic though. I kinda wish Sheetz could open up here and I utterly long for a nearby IHOP. There are so many brands that either only exist in the big cities, or not at all in NY for some reason.
They did have an IHOP in Syracuse, but it closed not too long ago. Might be due to Mom and Pop competition as well.

PA has the closest Sheetz, as I know that there is one in the Harrisburg area.

If you get away from the lakes, you can find some properties that are quite affordable and in solid communities. Lewis and Essex counties have the lowest property taxes and could work for people that want a small town/rural community. This can vary by town, city, neighborhood, etc. too.

You also have places that get their power via NYPA, which means lower rates. http://www.biddersguidepublications....mplate=generic

NYPA Home

Old 07-26-2017, 02:12 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
There's a reason people want to live in NYC/LI though

There's reasons people wanna live anywhere, that's the beauty of this country. Diversity of places and diversity of preferences.

People also shouldn't look at populations to simply show desirability, though. Lots of cities in Asia are extremely populated and not cuz of desirability, but because of high birth rate.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:13 PM

406 posts, read 287,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It may be as affordable as popular areas of the south, however, most of the affordable areas in upstate NY with low taxes are either in the middle of nowhere with no economic center, plus the cold brutal winters (which the south obviously doesn't have) and state income taxes, etc. I'd rather live in a semi affordable suburb of, lets say, Atlanta or Raleigh, than live in upstate NY just because it's in a blue state or because it's the northeast.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
It may be as affordable as popular areas of the south, however, most of the affordable areas in upstate NY with low taxes are either in the middle of nowhere with no economic center, plus the cold brutal winters (which the south obviously doesn't have) and state income taxes, etc. I'd rather live in a semi affordable suburb of, lets say, Atlanta or Raleigh, than live in upstate NY just because it's in a blue state or because it's the northeast.
Actually, it is likely more affordable than those popular Southern areas. That is just based upon comparative housing prices alone, which makes up about 30% of overall cost of living. This list can give an idea: https://www.nahb.org/~/media/Sites/N...by-rank-2017q1

https://www.nahb.org/en/research/hou...ity-index.aspx

Low(or relatively lower) taxes can be in some small towns/exurbs or you may find places that may have lower power rates, as posted before. It gets complicated as property tax exemptions such as STAR and the Veterans tax exemptions, in which you could get both, can lower taxes for that qualify. More: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/exemption/index.htm

https://b5.caspio.com/dp.asp?AppKey=...cd6ab9472e8095

https://www.retirementliving.com/tax...#SOUTHCAROLINA

2016 Property Tax Analysis | Newsroom and Media Center

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-27-2017 at 05:35 AM..

Old 07-27-2017, 08:19 AM

11,171 posts, read 22,363,867 times
I have friends and coworkers in Chicago from the south, most came for jobs or for a more urban setting.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:35 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
There's reasons people wanna live anywhere, that's the beauty of this country. Diversity of places and diversity of preferences.

People also shouldn't look at populations to simply show desirability, though. Lots of cities in Asia are extremely populated and not cuz of desirability, but because of high birth rate.
Yes but NYC/LI isn't as populated as it is b/c of high birth rate.

People are living there because they want to... even if they can't afford it. It's the most expensive area of the country and yet it also one of the most heavily populated.

The heavy population isn't b/c of COL b/c the COL is high. There is a large appeal for that area & that's why a lot of people live there.

The abundance of jobs in NYC is a large factor I'm sure.

Most people moving out of that area are not moving because they want to. Most move because they can't afford it.

Yeah I am sure rural Nebraska is beautiful, as well as many other places... but people want to live near where there is available work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or