U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:30 AM

29,961 posts, read 27,470,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeKing5 View Post
Be honest: I know the South is the Sun Belt yet I feel like there are just as many people moving up North from the South. I'd say mostly liberals and LGBT. Is that correct?
No. This isn't subjective; the data shows that domestic migration flows are greater from North to South than the reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Give it time... Florida has always seen a influx of the elderly who have historically been more Republican.. With the exponential growth of Atlanta and SC cities finally gaining popularity both Georgia and SC will continue to both move blue slow and steady. Beyond that, the younger generation along with the educated populace more likely voting Blue, besides a few hiccups here and there but the trend is obvious.
SC is something of a wild card as it is actually becoming a bit more libertarian as opposed to liberal. It's not as red as some other Southern states but a good bit of the transplants to the states are retirees, so that keeps it safely in the Republican category for the foreseeable future. Also other high-growth Southern states are becoming more racially and ethnically diverse which foreshadows a leftward shift; SC, by contrast, is actually getting a bit Whiter over time so it lacks a key characteristic compared to other states that have slowly shifted/are slowly shifting to the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 10:35 PM

7,834 posts, read 12,351,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No. This isn't subjective; the data shows that domestic migration flows are greater from North to South than the reverse.

SC is something of a wild card as it is actually becoming a bit more libertarian as opposed to liberal. It's not as red as some other Southern states but a good bit of the transplants to the states are retirees, so that keeps it safely in the Republican category for the foreseeable future. Also other high-growth Southern states are becoming more racially and ethnically diverse which foreshadows a leftward shift; SC, by contrast, is actually getting a bit Whiter over time so it lacks a key characteristic compared to other states that have slowly shifted/are slowly shifting to the left.
Its the liberal media's assumption that minorities have to be liberal and that people will only vote for a candidate their own race. Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley and Tim Scott won with mostly white Southern votes, including by dominating the rural areas and winning over evangelical Christians and Catholics. I know many Asian Americans and Indian Americans in the South who are Republicans and voted for Trump because we came here LEGALLY and also care about things like lower taxes, family values, and promoting business and jobs vs giving out more free stuff to those who refuse to better themselves.

I'm a native of Louisiana who just returned after 20 years away. The majority of that time was spent in Maryland which some claim is northern while some don't. Technically its south of the Mason Dixon Line but its a blue state due to the DC suburbs. Living there under that state government has turned me from a centrist to a conservative who usually votes a straight Republican ticket in every election on every level. Nothing will make you run to the Republican Party like living under Martin O'Malley and watching the free ride given to illegals, the death penalty abolished, gay marriage legalized while dozens of taxes are raised.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Its the liberal media's assumption that minorities have to be liberal and that people will only vote for a candidate their own race.
I never said any of those things; I'm merely talking about correlation. Conservative states that become more diverse over time also tend to get a bit more moderate/liberal. You don't have to like it, but it's the reality.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:17 PM

5,502 posts, read 2,325,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Which in result is making the Southern states more blue I. E. Virginia, North Carolina
I know. It's kind of strange. All of these people are leaving the north due to the business climate and high taxes, yet they want to vote in government that creates the same conditions down here.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I know. It's kind of strange. All of these people are leaving the north due to the business climate and high taxes, yet they want to vote in government that creates the same conditions down here.
That's such an overly simplistic way of looking at things...I really have to chuckle sometimes.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:40 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,181,014 times
I moved to New Jersey from the south 13 years ago this week. It was the right decision for me.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:39 AM

2,517 posts, read 2,283,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Nothing will make you run to the Republican Party like living under Martin O'Malley and watching the free ride given to illegals, the death penalty abolished, gay marriage legalized while dozens of taxes are raised.
You're in Louisiana right? Let's see, LA vs. MD.... I'll take MD, glad you belong where you live. We're doing fine over here... We have a higher quality of life overall while legally smoking pot and not caring what people do in their bedrooms, all while trying to at the least help everyone within our borders. It's just what we do around these parts.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 AM

2,149 posts, read 598,995 times
Well, obviously there are not as many people moving south to north as there is north to south. Too many people would rather burn alive in the summer than freeze in the winter. I know of at least one family that will be moving north when the right opportunity presents itself: Mine.

However, there are many people that I graduated with in TN (both high school and college) that have moved north or west. Maybe it is a trend with younger people, but the older folks outweigh them? I don't know. Personally, my family and I do not fit in real well down here, and are ready to move somewhere a little more tolerant, and somewhere that has 4 seasons.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:37 AM

10 posts, read 4,592 times
I don't think this the place to gripe about politics using empty political talking points, liberal or conservative.

I moved from West Virginia, which is sort of the South, to Columbus, OH and there is certainly a migration from the South/Appalachia to this area, though a lot of West Virginians are flocking south to places like NC as opposed to Ohio. I like Columbus because it kind of has the best of both worlds: a booming sun beltish growth rate and diversity, with a definitive Midwestern charm

Old 08-01-2017, 03:18 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,152,325 times
Conservatives are destroying this country faster than ever. They still support trickle down economics, keeping the minimum wage locked at $7.25 from the year 2009 and thinking it's okay if 45,000 people die per year due to lack of health insurance. They also think climate change is a hoax and think it's okay to dump dirty chemicals into natural rivers. And they think more guns will be better for society, even though there are already more guns owned in the U.S. than people! SMH!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or