U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2017, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
43 posts, read 39,693 times
Reputation: 78

Advertisements

Be honest: I know the South is the Sun Belt yet I feel like there are just as many people moving up North from the South. I'd say mostly liberals and LGBT. Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2017, 07:02 PM
 
Location: New York Metropolitan Area
406 posts, read 290,270 times
Reputation: 419
I would disagree because, despite your political views/sexual orientation, things such as COL, weather, and over crowdedness are pushing people from northeastern states like NY, NJ, and CT to southern states faster than people from southern states moving because of being liberal and wanting to fit in in a "bluer" state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 07:13 PM
 
2,517 posts, read 2,280,503 times
Reputation: 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
I would disagree because, despite your political views/sexual orientation, things such as COL, weather, and over crowdedness are pushing people from northeastern states like NY, NJ, and CT to southern states faster than people from southern states moving because of being liberal and wanting to fit in in a "bluer" state.
Which in result is making the Southern states more blue I. E. Virginia, North Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 09:21 PM
 
Location: New York Metropolitan Area
406 posts, read 290,270 times
Reputation: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Which in result is making the Southern states more blue I. E. Virginia, North Carolina
Not in all cases though, SC, GA, and even FL which all receive a huge influx of northerners moving there still have a big conservative voter turnout. Not everyone from the north is a liberal (thankfully).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 09:40 PM
 
2,517 posts, read 2,280,503 times
Reputation: 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Not in all cases though, SC, GA, and even FL which all receive a huge influx of northerners moving there still have a big conservative voter turnout. Not everyone from the north is a liberal (thankfully).
Give it time... Florida has always seen a influx of the elderly who have historically been more Republican.. With the exponential growth of Atlanta and SC cities finally gaining popularity both Georgia and SC will continue to both move blue slow and steady. Beyond that, the younger generation along with the educated populace more likely voting Blue, besides a few hiccups here and there but the trend is obvious.

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-23-2017 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 10:31 PM
 
2,126 posts, read 774,706 times
Reputation: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Give it time... Florida has always seen a influx of the elderly who have historically been more Republican.. With the exponential growth of Atlanta and SC cities finally gaining popularity both Georgia and SC will continue to both move blue slow and steady. Beyond that, the younger generation along with the educated populace more likely voting Blue, besides a few hiccups here and there but the trend is obvious.
Florida was always a toss up state and their fastest growing areas are their retirement areas with no end to the growth in sight. People are also living longer and our population is aging, people tend to vote more conservative as they get older that trend hasn't slowed. Even if Florida elected a bunch of democrats they can't institute an income tax, it's written in their constitution, so their hands would be tied. SC is not going blue in our lifetime, it's actually been gotten redder. Georgia and NC have gotten bluer but there's so many rural areas there, even the Democrats that they elect are pretty moderate.

Also what makes you believe the blue states that people are fleeing wont go red? We've already seen it happen in Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Iowa, West Virginia. These older industrial union areas that have lots of net outmigration are getting rid of their unions, lowering taxes, and their situations by in large are improving, especially Michigan. I don't see why this trend couldn't extend to other older industrial areas like CT, RI, PA, Maryland.

Last edited by cttransplant85; 07-23-2017 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 06:56 AM
 
Location: New York Metropolitan Area
406 posts, read 290,270 times
Reputation: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Florida was always a toss up state and their fastest growing areas are their retirement areas with no end to the growth in sight. People are also living longer and our population is aging, people tend to vote more conservative as they get older that trend hasn't slowed. Even if Florida elected a bunch of democrats they can't institute an income tax, it's written in their constitution, so their hands would be tied. SC is not going blue in our lifetime, it's actually been gotten redder. Georgia and NC have gotten bluer but there's so many rural areas there, even the Democrats that they elect are pretty moderate.

Also what makes you believe the blue states that people are fleeing wont go red? We've already seen it happen in Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Iowa, West Virginia. These older industrial union areas that have lots of net outmigration are getting rid of their unions, lowering taxes, and their situations by in large are improving, especially Michigan. I don't see why this trend couldn't extend to other older industrial areas like CT, RI, PA, Maryland.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Don't forget the major cities in the north are obviously obnoxiously liberal, however if you move into the suburbs (for example, central NJ and Long Island for NYC), there are probably more conservatives than liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 AM
 
56,741 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Reputation: 12549
To the OP, some, but it doesn't offset things. Not all cities in the North are obnoxiously "liberal" and there are some suburbs, as well as small towns that can be "liberal" or moderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,650 posts, read 17,623,979 times
Reputation: 27733
I only know a few who have gone from the South to the northeast and almost all of them have high-powered careers you cannot generally find in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 12:41 PM
 
9,528 posts, read 13,470,635 times
Reputation: 5713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
I would disagree because, despite your political views/sexual orientation, things such as COL, weather, and over crowdedness are pushing people from northeastern states like NY, NJ, and CT to southern states faster than people from southern states moving because of being liberal and wanting to fit in in a "bluer" state.
I'm sort of a snob but I will only live in a blue state, even if it cost me an arm & leg b/c I agree with what liberals stand for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top