U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:40 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,397,513 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Florida and live in Texas. Moving to Minnesota in less than 2 weeks but I much much prefer Texas over Florida. Texas has more to offer, more cities to choose from. People are generally friendlier in Texas. In Florida, it depends. South Florida is very rude. North Florida is just as friendly as the rest of the South.

Florida also feels more claustrophobic imo. No matter where you are, the state is narrow. Whether you're on the peninsula or the panhandle. Texas is so open and I prefer that. I don't like the weather in Florida, its just hot and humid and never ends. I do like that it rains more, though. Texas has a variety of weather though is very hot in the summer.

If the beach is a top priority then Florida is better in that department. Florida's also more expensive especially South Florida. A one-storey home in S. FL can cost more than a two storey home in Texas.

Texas does lack in the nature department. There are cool places to see, mostly in the western part, but it takes a lot of driving. Florida's good to explore coastal natural environments plus wetlands.

In both states you need a car. Florida's largest metro area (Miami-Ft. Lauderdale) has horrendous public transportation, especially city buses. I've never taken a bus in Texas but I have taken DART. It's okay but a bit slow sometimes and can take forever to get around. Both states have terrible traffic in the urban areas however Florida has crazier drivers. But Texas has in many places, worse roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 06:38 PM

1,900 posts, read 833,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond31 View Post
Texas is on my plan, along with FL. As Texas does have good IT jobs, I am additionally looking for the following :
1) affordable housing (rent & own)
2) close to nature parks /free entertainment
3) Less traffic driving to office/home

Any helpful pointers???
Like people have already somewhat pointed out, it;'s not that easy to say without having more info.

1) What do you consider affordable? Where do you would you want to live in TX? The Big 4 cities can get pricey. Especially DFW/Austin/Houston. But again what would you consider expensive. Compared the the coastal cities it would be more affordable. Still rent can get up there. $1200 for a 1bed in any "desirable" location with some action around you.

2) I don't think any of the big 4 have a major nature park in close proximity, but I could be off. But there are parks around. Of course there is the the Big Bend. Although that one is out West in TX and some ways away form the 4 major cities.

3) Traffic in San Antonio is alright. Nothing too crazy. Traffic in DFW can be crazy and if you hit rush hour in the evening and live too far away from the office you can be stuck in traffic for a good time.
Austin I'm not sure but I have been caught more than once in heavy traffic there. Houston I cannot comment.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:08 PM

4,852 posts, read 9,002,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Florida also feels more claustrophobic imo. No matter where you are, the state is narrow. Whether you're on the peninsula or the panhandle.
More claustrophobic on the peninsula now with all the transplants from the Midwestern and East Coast states seeking warm weather year-round. All these people and the Florida driving style necessitated the widening of I-75 and I-95 to three lanes minimum through the peninsula.

Quote:
Texas does lack in the nature department. There are cool places to see, mostly in the western part, but it takes a lot of driving. Florida's good to explore coastal natural environments plus wetlands.
I'm surprised that you didn't go to Galveston. There are wetlands on the eastern shore of Galveston Bay and on Matagorda bay reminiscent of the Everglades.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:11 AM

686 posts, read 401,704 times
I think it's more accurate to say the coasts of Florida are more crowded... for the most part, as the interior of the state, save for Orlando, is mostly barren or dotted with small towns. Basically, the places worth going to are crowded, and it's getting worse now that the housing market is on its way to recovery. The "governor" will be the first to shout from the rooftops about jobs, but I wouldn't go so far as to call our job market healthy. There are good jobs here. Tampa, in particular, has a strong software dev market lately. But competition is pretty fierce and the pay may or may not equal what you can get elsewhere.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:03 AM

62 posts, read 68,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
I think it's more accurate to say the coasts of Florida are more crowded... for the most part, as the interior of the state, save for Orlando, is mostly barren or dotted with small towns. Basically, the places worth going to are crowded, and it's getting worse now that the housing market is on its way to recovery. The "governor" will be the first to shout from the rooftops about jobs, but I wouldn't go so far as to call our job market healthy. There are good jobs here. Tampa, in particular, has a strong software dev market lately. But competition is pretty fierce and the pay may or may not equal what you can get elsewhere.
Yes, I think Tampa has a good IT scenario, but the beaches are not as beautiful as the east coast of FL (just MHO though)

Old 07-29-2017, 11:08 AM

686 posts, read 401,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond31 View Post
Yes, I think Tampa has a good IT scenario, but the beaches are not as beautiful as the east coast of FL (just MHO though)
I think the waves and summer water temps are a bit more pleasant on the east coast, but aside from that (IMHO) the Gulf beaches are leaps and bounds nicer even if one were to solely judge them based on beach sand. But I do appreciate the Atlantic breezes when I'm over there. The Gulf is a hot water bath tub this time of year.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
More claustrophobic on the peninsula now with all the transplants from the Midwestern and East Coast states seeking warm weather year-round. All these people and the Florida driving style necessitated the widening of I-75 and I-95 to three lanes minimum through the peninsula.

I'm surprised that you didn't go to Galveston. There are wetlands on the eastern shore of Galveston Bay and on Matagorda bay reminiscent of the Everglades.

The closest I've been to the coast is on I-10 between Houston and Beaumont. Its quite marshy but reminds me more of Louisiana than Florida. I'd like to visit the beaches in Texas someday, though I know they won't compare to Florida's.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
I think the waves and summer water temps are a bit more pleasant on the east coast, but aside from that (IMHO) the Gulf beaches are leaps and bounds nicer even if one were to solely judge them based on beach sand. But I do appreciate the Atlantic breezes when I'm over there. The Gulf is a hot water bath tub this time of year.
The best beaches sand-wise are in the Panhandle. And its not as overcrowded or overdeveloped which is good. The best water in terms of colour, warmth and fishing is in the Keys. Its got that beautiful aquamarine blue to it.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:56 AM

18,653 posts, read 27,092,504 times
SPI could be much better if Texas actually cared for beach life. I do get that it's isolated and remote but it still has potential.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:32 AM

296 posts, read 538,913 times
Well Born in Texas, Grew up in Florida. Both states have no state income tax, basically your earnings are more. Florida has world class fishing, beautiful beaches, and is very cheap to live, more so away from coastal area. The economy in Texas does seem to be booming, Florida weather is beautiful in the winter, Florida has lots of thunderstorms, and seems less hot in the summer. I'd say Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or