U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 06:58 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,463,651 times

Advertisements

A couple of things to consider from someone who lived in both Texas and Florida but is from the Northeast.

Florida is much more accommodating when it comes to people moving from the Northeast. I absolutely hated the way Texans always felt the need to trash my hometown (NYC) every single chance I got. I heard many times, "thank God you moved out of that cesspool". Well, I returned after only 18 months.

Texas is way, way more affordable than Florida, and that goes for the cities as well. The cities in Texas seem cleaner than Florida and again, more housing stock that is affordable. Plus, everyday expenses are a little cheaper in Texas, but also salaries are lower so you are spending less with less overall money.

Traffic is going to suck if you need to be in a metro. It's no worse than the Northeast, but don't expect it to be any better and you won't get too frustrated by sitting in 12 lane highways not moving. I would actually say Florida is better in this respect as Houston has traffic that could rival Los Angeles or Long Island.

In terms of nature, there is a lot more variety in Texas. From the coast to hill country, the huge expansive plains, as well as one of the best parks in the US (Big Bend - a seriously beautiful piece of paradise). However, if you're a beach guy, then Florida wins no contest. There is no comparison here, Florida beaches are the best in the US.

But please remember, because this aspect really shocked me, but I received so much hate in Texas because I have a strong NYC accent. For me, it was very off-putting but it may not bother you very much.

Hope this helped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 02:55 PM

6,094 posts, read 3,419,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
A couple of things to consider from someone who lived in both Texas and Florida but is from the Northeast.

Florida is much more accommodating when it comes to people moving from the Northeast. I absolutely hated the way Texans always felt the need to trash my hometown (NYC) every single chance I got. I heard many times, "thank God you moved out of that cesspool". Well, I returned after only 18 months.

Texas is way, way more affordable than Florida, and that goes for the cities as well. The cities in Texas seem cleaner than Florida and again, more housing stock that is affordable. Plus, everyday expenses are a little cheaper in Texas, but also salaries are lower so you are spending less with less overall money.

Traffic is going to suck if you need to be in a metro. It's no worse than the Northeast, but don't expect it to be any better and you won't get too frustrated by sitting in 12 lane highways not moving. I would actually say Florida is better in this respect as Houston has traffic that could rival Los Angeles or Long Island.

In terms of nature, there is a lot more variety in Texas. From the coast to hill country, the huge expansive plains, as well as one of the best parks in the US (Big Bend - a seriously beautiful piece of paradise). However, if you're a beach guy, then Florida wins no contest. There is no comparison here, Florida beaches are the best in the US.

But please remember, because this aspect really shocked me, but I received so much hate in Texas because I have a strong NYC accent. For me, it was very off-putting but it may not bother you very much.

Hope this helped!

Where in Texas were you? I've never lived anywhere where people would have that attitude. I even lived in a small town of 4,000 but there were people from all over the country and world, including New York but also California and Australia. Though I don't doubt your experiences, they're not representative for the vast majority of Texas or Texans.

And honestly, I've seen this situation happen more from the reverse. New Yorkers are more likely to bash southerners for the way they live and the way they talk. When I would tell people on other websites that I live in Texas, people, mostly from California and the urban Northeast would respond "Omg isn't it suuuuper racist there? Suuuuper homophobic? I feel sooooo sorry for you!" and I'd just roll my eyes -_- and my favourite from Europeans "I wouldn't go to Texas. I'm afraid I'll get shot. Everyone has a gun!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or